PDA

View Full Version : Is this behavior concerning???

Yassmeena
07-02-2009, 12:34 AM
I moved one my discus out of the BB today (had only discus) and into a 38 gallon QT (20 rummynose, 2 GBR, 6 albino cories, nerite snails + amano shrimp).

He seems uncomfortable and scared, and I don't know if I should take any action. Since this morning when I moved him, he has nibbled on some color bits (he is normally my most aggressive eater). He also is jumpy and seems startled by the smaller fish as they swim about. I have the lights off, but when I turn them on he cowers in the corner and swims into the glass as if trying to swim out of the tank.

His fins are not clamped however.

What do you guys think?

What measures besides keeping the lights off should I take at this point?

Yasmin

Eddie
07-02-2009, 01:38 AM
I'd just let him settle Yas, sure he is just scared of the new environment and all the other bubbly fish in the small tank. Just fresh water and time and he should relax. ;)

All the best

Eddie

DiscusKeeper403
07-02-2009, 02:09 AM
As Eddie said, probably just scared of the new surroundings, but Discus shouldn't be kept by themselves anyways, as they end up getting skittish, scared and stressed!

Yassmeena
07-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Thanks Eddie - I hope he calms down soon. It's a little stressful seeing him be uncomfortable.

As Eddie said, probably just scared of the new surroundings, but Discus shouldn't be kept by themselves anyways, as they end up getting skittish, scared and stressed!

I know... but at the same time I heard over and over again that the QT protocol is to transfer one discus into the QT tank for 2 weeks and observe :confused:

Apistomaster
07-02-2009, 05:44 PM
The one discus just needs a few more days to become used to it's new environment as others have said.

DiscusKeeper403
07-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks Eddie - I hope he calms down soon. It's a little stressful seeing him be uncomfortable.

I know... but at the same time I heard over and over again that the QT protocol is to transfer one discus into the QT tank for 2 weeks and observe :confused:

Ah sorry, I misread. If he was in a QT tank then yes, better to not risk the rest of your fish and as long as it's only a few weeks no damage done, but if it is over an extended period then it will become a problem.

Yassmeena
07-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks all,

He's significantly calmer today. A step fwd. :)

Yasmin

Eddie
07-03-2009, 12:05 AM
Good to hear Yas!

All the best,

Eddie

mmorris
07-03-2009, 10:00 AM

Good on you for taking that step, Yas!