PDA

View Full Version : Proper foods for breeding discus.

jaykne
07-03-2009, 05:20 PM
I have a 6" young pair of discus spawning every 4 days, no fry yet but still working out all the proper water and stuff. They are in a 29gal alone, and since I put them in there they will eat nothing but bloodworms, except the female she will eat tetra color bits also but thats it, I tried letting them go 5days without food and tried giving them beetheat but won't touch it. Can they do well on blood worms alone, I don't understand offer it to them every day they don't have eggs but won't touch it if I starve them like I did they stop spawning. Please anyone with advice, need it really bad. Larry

William Palumbo
07-03-2009, 05:32 PM
I don't know about "proper", but I basically feed the FBW's and lots of CBW's. Beefheart I stop feeding when they hit the breeding tank. I get spawns and fry...it works for me...Bill

noogiec
07-03-2009, 09:29 PM
My pair of albinos eat bloodworms almost exclusively. They spawn about every 4-6 days. Other pairs eat FBW and brine shrimp for the most part. They pick at color bits if they have to.

jaykne
07-03-2009, 11:57 PM
My pair of albinos eat bloodworms almost exclusively. They spawn about every 4-6 days. Other pairs eat FBW and brine shrimp for the most part. They pick at color bits if they have to.

Are you getting fry out of them? I have been reading allot and they say if they are just getting blood worm you end up with problems with health after a batch of fry, and you run into fertility problems when the male does not get proper diet.

mmorris
07-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Have you tried feeding anything besides beefheart, bloodworms and tetra bits? Have you tried flake? Brine shrimp? Discus do need a variety of foods to thrive. Where are you getting the beefheart? If you are making it, you could vary the ingredients.

jaykne
07-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Have you tried feeding anything besides beefheart, bloodworms and tetra bits? Have you tried flake? Brine shrimp? Discus do need a variety of foods to thrive. Where are you getting the beefheart? If you are making it, you could vary the ingredients.

Before they paired off, they were in a comunity tank and ate anything. When I am growing them out I feed 8 times a day and every feeding is a different food, but since I put in the 29 they started this. And yes not just BH been trying flakes pellets seafood mix they wont touch it, a week now, don't know what to do. I guess I should give in and give them some blood worms.

LizStreithorst
07-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Some live foods are best for breeding Discus. Try some CBWs and red wigglers. As well as being packed with nutrients, they are irresistable.

discus.hunter
07-07-2009, 02:19 AM
me too has this problem about breeding pair diet, the crucial times is when none of the eggs become wigglers, after that i feel something wrong and try to give them live food (i use silkworm) and then the hatching rate gettin better