PDA

View Full Version : question about albinos

csarkar001
07-04-2009, 09:01 PM
recently purchased some albino strains for the first time. i notice that they peck at their food several times before finally nabbing it. is this typical for albinos and related to poor vision or particular to my batch of fish?

thanks
chandan

LizStreithorst
07-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Many are near sighted.

csarkar001
07-04-2009, 09:21 PM
if i put them in my main tank, will they have trouble competing for food with the regular team?

Eddie
07-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Best thing for near sided fish is cubed food, mixes or frozen cubes. This way, they can peck at the large cube and get enough. ;)

Eddie

LizStreithorst
07-04-2009, 10:19 PM
if i put them in my main tank, will they have trouble competing for food with the regular team?

I never had a problem with mine getting enough in a mixed tank, but I fed plenty and did 1/3 WC daily.

Jhhnn
07-05-2009, 09:41 AM
I don't think it's unique to albinos- one of my BS, the smallest, does the same thing- misses the food, kinda aims low when he/she goes for it.

You'd think they'd be able to compensate, develop better mouth/eye coordination, but apparently not...

mmorris
07-05-2009, 09:57 AM
I have six albinos and if I remember correctly, two of them had issues catching the food when they were juvies. They had no problems keeping up though. I haven't noticed a problem now that they are adults. I've seen the same issue with other strains.

LizStreithorst
07-05-2009, 10:57 AM
I have six albinos and if I remember correctly, two of them had issues catching the food when they were juvies. They had no problems keeping up though. I haven't noticed a problem now that they are adults. I've seen the same issue with other strains.

I've seen it in other strains as well, Martha. But IME, and as I was told by Kenny, it appears to be much more prevelent in Albinos.

stanlee
07-05-2009, 10:59 AM
all albinos, whether fish or humans have problems with eye sight.
:)

mmorris
07-05-2009, 11:13 AM
I've seen it in other strains as well, Martha. But IME, and as I was told by Kenny, it appears to be much more prevelent in Albinos.

I've heard there are issues when they are young. Have you heard if they tend to outgrow the problem?

noogiec
07-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Both of my adult albinos (breeding pair) have this problem. Of their fry, about 50% have this affliction. However, it doesn't seem to correlate with fry growth- some with this apparent vision problem are the largest fry at current age of 10-12 weeks.

LizStreithorst
07-05-2009, 03:43 PM
I've heard there are issues when they are young. Have you heard if they tend to outgrow the problem?

I don't think that they outgrow the problem. I think that they learn how to deal with it better.