PDA

View Full Version : trimming plants

Eddie
07-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Is there a proper way or can you just snip where you want? Newbie to planted tanks and my wife's planted tank is going bananas!

Thanks
Eddie

Wahter
07-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Is there a proper way or can you just snip where you want? Newbie to planted tanks and my wife's planted tank is going bananas!

Thanks
Eddie

Eddie,

Tell us what type of plants you have (and "I don't know... mostly green ones" is not an acceptable answer!). :D:D:D

Some plants don't take well to being pruned, but most can be (especially stem/ bunch plants).

Walter

calihawker
07-04-2009, 11:24 PM
I usually snip wherever I want, it seems to not make much difference. I know people have different opinions. Like with my huge rotala indica, it got very sparse on the bottom and was full and bright about 1/3 the way up so I cut the whole thing were it looked the best and yanked the rest out and replanted it. I've done that 3 or 4 times since I've had it and it always looks great.

One thing I've always had a problem with is where to snip to make the plant grow more natural and fuller, especially my anubius nana.

After a pruning session I look at some of the tanks on the planted tank forum and just sigh.:( Those guys have it down. Definately an art to it.:)

Eddie
07-05-2009, 12:30 AM
Eddie,

Tell us what type of plants you have (and "I don't know... mostly green ones" is not an acceptable answer!). :D:D:D

Some plants don't take well to being pruned, but most can be (especially stem/ bunch plants).

Walter

Here you go Walter, I believe this is the plant.

Ambulia (Limnophila indica)

http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/images/plants/laqua.jpg

Picture was taken from dwarfpuffers.com

This plant goes crazy in my wife's tank but I recently just snipped away and now they've grown very tall, only bloom at the top and are very bare along the stems. I just put another one in the tank and it's growing like crazy too but I don't want to trim it and have it turnout like the other one. :(

Thanks

Eddie

Consigliere
07-05-2009, 12:35 AM
There is a sequence of trimming that you want to do when starting a planted tank.

I'm assuming you are talking about stems also.

First trim you want to let the stems reach the surface. You want to trim just below the visual line you want to create in the tank. Like, if the stems have their bottoms hidden by a rock, cut just below the top of the rock. You do this to create a bushy growth. The stems will usually grow two stems off the leftover stem where you cut it so it will start to bush out.

The second trim you want to again let the stems reach the surface then cut them just above your original cut line, so now from the original stem you will be likely getting 4 branches. This again will make the group of stems look even bushier as they grow out.

For all subsequent trims you go for what you want the group to look like. Typically a straight across cut to create a visual line in the aquascape (more nature style) or clip them so that a rounded look is created (more dutch style)

Eddie
07-05-2009, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the tips!

Much appreciated

Eddie

GrillMaster
07-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Great advice from Consigliere!

When I had ambulia, I just cut the top 4" of the plant and planted them back in the substrate. You can do this to create whatever effect ya want...

I suspect the reason your wifes tank is doing so well is she has better lighting than you do in yer tank...;) Maybe C02 in hers as well? I can pin point it down but I am drawin straws at the moment. ;)

Eddie
07-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Great advice from Consigliere!

When I had ambulia, I just cut the top 4" of the plant and planted them back in the substrate. You can do this to create whatever effect ya want...

I suspect the reason your wifes tank is doing so well is she has better lighting than you do in yer tank...;) Maybe C02 in hers as well? I can pin point it down but I am drawin straws at the moment. ;)

No Co2 Mark, just 2 WPG and using ADA powersand and amazonia soil. Nothing else ans the plants are out of control!

http://www.adgshop.com/Power_Sand_s/22.htm

Thanks for the tip!

Eddie

GrillMaster
07-13-2009, 11:14 PM
So ya haven't put ADA powersand in yer tank yet? ;) :D :D :D

All to familiar with it! Look at Steve Colleys (Scolley) planted tank thread! :)

Eddie
07-14-2009, 07:15 PM
So ya haven't put ADA powersand in yer tank yet? ;) :D :D :D

All to familiar with it! Look at Steve Colleys (Scolley) planted tank thread! :)

Yup Mark, the tank was set-up about 4 months ago with Powersand and Amazonia soil. Plants have been taking off! Good stuff IMO ;)

Take care,

Eddie