PDA

View Full Version : Egg free falling from spawning cone

simoon
07-05-2009, 02:10 PM
I just bought a pair LSS a few days ago, today they start cleaning the cone vigoursly. I know they are going to spawn today.

When the female start laying egg, something is wrong. I use the plastic discus cone by JBL which in my experience the eggs stick firmer on it then other kind of cone. But for this female LSS after she laid the eggs on the cone they stick on the cone as normal, but before the male can do his job, the eggs fall to the bottom of the tank one by one. After the spawning there are only 5 eggs on the cone but 200+ eggs on the tank bottom.

There is no current in the tank, is this normal?

kaceyo
07-05-2009, 02:44 PM
It's not normal but it's not that unusual either. Sometimes the problem takes care of it's self given time so keep an eye on things and watch for improvement. The first time I ran accross a female with this problem she was laying nice sticky eggs within about a month. In the mean time, just make sure you are supplying a good varied diet and keep the water well cared for.

Kacey

wanderingfish
07-05-2009, 03:20 PM
I'v heard that water that is too hard can cause this problem.

simoon
07-06-2009, 12:26 AM
Thank you Kaceyo, OK I will wait to see if it improve over time. I am wondering what cause the eggs to become non-sticky.

Thank you too Ramblingfish, but I think it is not my situation because I have very soft tape water.

CliffsDiscus
07-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Simon,
You may want to do a feces inspection just to fine out what the problem is then use the
correct medication to correct the problem.

Cliff

kaceyo
07-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Hey Cliff,
Do you think it might be caused by a parasite or flagellates? Both times I ran accross the problem it went away on it's own.
Thanks,

Kacey

CliffsDiscus
07-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Hey Cliff,
Do you think it might be caused by a parasite or flagellates? Both times I ran accross the problem it went away on it's own.
Thanks,

Kacey

Hi Kacey,
Yes, it may be cause by both of the above and then it might have TB. Clean water and good aquarium maintenance sometimes helps but if not then a good feces examination may
help. There was a thread back a few years ago concerning this subject, I think Tad had
this problem.

Cliff

simoon
07-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Excuse me, What is TB?

kaceyo
07-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Excuse me, What is TB?

Tuberculosis