PDA

View Full Version : Fighting pair

joe l
07-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Bought a pair of adults(not expensive)was told they fight all the time and the owner didn`t have the time to breed them and give proper water conditions.They seemed to be getting along okay.5 weeks later they spawned whilst I was sleeping so I have an idea which is the male-female if infact they are..24 hours later half the eggs fungussed (tds 90-100ish)and the asumed male is getting overly aggressive to the point when I got home after an 5 hour absense the female looked defeated hanging in the corner,I pulled her.Just curious if anybody has has similar experiences.

grantbudd74
07-05-2009, 11:45 PM
I had 3 adults in a 200l tank after a lost a few to my hungry plecos! Anyway One was 100% female and the other 2 I thought were males. One of the males started to show signs of interest toward her and she didnt like his advances much and flatly ignored him. Then a month later she was ready and started shaking next to him and it was obvious to me she was about to pop some eggs. Anyway the male took it upon him to attack her to the point that she was no longer interested. They are in their own tank and the third is behind a screen. I am hoping that they will pair up but at the moment they look like they hate each other and just try and get along as they share the same space...Getting to the point that I will sell all 3 adults and concentrate on my main tank. I had this with angels before. They bread and 3 days later the male beat the s***t out of the female and she died :-(
Its touch love in the fish world!
good luck

jeremy calkin
07-06-2009, 05:41 AM
have a pair with 120 babys just fee swimming,the parents have never fought from young ,now as babys r due to attach they r fighting with babys in there mouths ,i think 10 r dead so far ,they have been great till now ,i will just leave them ,if they make up good ,can not fit 120 in my grow out anyway

grantbudd74
07-06-2009, 07:30 AM
OK latest news so far: Just to let you know te weird and wonderful ways fish think: So in my previous thread I mentioned I have my 200l sectioned off with my angry pair in one half and a single adult in the other half.

The partition fits very well however there is a gap of 15-20mm at the top below the water line. So imagine my surprise when I see all 3 in one half! then when I get home the 2 who are fighting are back in their own half again.....

It seams that they like being together yet hate it and when apart they hate it too! Go figure?????

Disgirl
07-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Got a laugh at this, sounds like some people I know...:D
Barb

discus.hunter
07-07-2009, 02:25 AM
i have a pair of fish that show funny bahaviour, if they spawn and the eggs success they will keep their fry peacefully, but sometimes maybe due to lack of water care or cleanness, the eggs will fail hatch and the male and female will fighting each other till i need to separate them in separate tank