PDA

View Full Version : Political Correctness Great anology

John_Nicholson
07-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Sometimes we are encouraged about our country's future when we see something like this.

Specifically, there is an annual contest at Texas A&M University calling for the most appropriate definition of a contemporary term: This year's term was "Political Correctness."

The winner wrote:

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

calihawker
07-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Nice!:)

Peachtree Discus
07-07-2009, 10:44 AM
must resist the urge....must :scared: resist!!!

YSS
07-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Sometimes we are encouraged about our country's future when we see something like this.

Specifically, there is an annual contest at Texas A&M University calling for the most appropriate definition of a contemporary term: This year's term was "Political Correctness."

The winner wrote:

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Sorry, but I have to disagree with this statement.

rickztahone
07-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Sorry, but I have to disagree with this statement.

state your view... it is a forum after all

DarkSide
07-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Political correctness is The Conservatives trying to convince us Sarah Palin is a great candidate and Joe the Plumber is republican.

kaceyo
07-07-2009, 02:16 PM
That's great John. I really did LOL!!!

Kacey

John_Nicholson
07-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Hey Darkside wouldn't that be similar to obama having a townhall meeting where he prearranged the questions and then tried to pass it off as legit? Hell even Nixon did not try that...

-john

Peachtree Discus
07-07-2009, 03:04 PM

yea, and the world is flat...any proof?

logically, some of you will feel quite strong on this topic......so, you should be able to answer this question pretty easily. Why is political correctness so wrong and inappropriate? I look forward to these explanations. :rolleyes2: (now let me start my stopwatch to see how long before constitutional right shows up).

John_Nicholson
07-07-2009, 03:35 PM
How come liberals only like the constitution when it supports their views?

I hate the effect PC has had on our schools. Some schools have eliminated winners and losers. Some have it set up so that no student can fail. No matter what it takes they will get a passing grade. It is total BS. It produces kids with a high school diploma that the real world just chews up and spits out.....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/07/01/white-house-disputes-criticism-town-hall-meeting-staged/

http://sistertoldjah.com/archives/2009/07/01/our-celebrity-president-and-his-staged-town-hall-meetings/

http://wizbangblog.com/content/2009/07/03/everything-you-need-to-know-about-president-obamas-latest-town-hall-meeting.php

http://www.oilforimmigration.org/facts/?p=2330

I did not mean for this to become a political thread. I thought it was funny, but in this PC world I guess some view it as offensive. Of course I know of nothing that says you have the right to never be offended but anyway I will go ahead and drop it at this time. Have fun with it.

-john

YSS
07-07-2009, 05:55 PM

The winner wrote:

I am sure it was a skinhead, or a Klan, or a some red neck who wrote and won the contest. Oops, sorry. I wasn't being PC.

Peachtree Discus
07-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Political correctness is The Conservatives trying to convince us Sarah Palin is a great candidate and Joe the Plumber is republican.

:confused:

......wouldn't that be similar to obama having a townhall meeting where he prearranged the questions and then tried to pass it off as legit? Hell even Nixon did not try that...

:confused:

political correctness has nothing to do with who's correct politically.

Why is political correctness so wrong and inappropriate?

Peachtree Discus
07-07-2009, 06:42 PM
says wikipedia, ....i stand corrected. my bad john. :D:D ur right....very encouraging

Discus-Hans
07-08-2009, 01:39 AM
Only those 2 words in 1 sentence: "political & correctness" is funny, I think......but who am I, just a foreigner

Hans

KDodds
07-08-2009, 08:11 AM
Funny, I always thought political correctness was : the use of accepted euphemisms used to define how bigoted the speaker is by virtue of the fact that said speaker has consciously chosen to use the word, usually evidenced by a slight pause, in question other than a more commonly understood vernacular, thereby displaying the speaker's severely ingrained egocentric views, and acknowledgement of, and agreement with, the offensive views inferred by the mind of the listener.

How's that for Catch-22, being a militant PC advocate actually proves you're not. ;) But, maybe that's just me, I grew up in NYC, in a real melting pot. We all got along, too, amazingly, despite the fact that we spoke honestly and plainly to one another. PC is antithetical to that.

YSS
07-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Funny, I always thought political correctness was : the use of accepted euphemisms used to define how bigoted the speaker is by virtue of the fact that said speaker has consciously chosen to use the word, usually evidenced by a slight pause, in question other than a more commonly understood vernacular, thereby displaying the speaker's severely ingrained egocentric views, and acknowledgement of, and agreement with, the offensive views inferred by the mind of the listener.

How's that for Catch-22, being a militant PC advocate actually proves you're not. ;) But, maybe that's just me, I grew up in NYC, in a real melting pot. We all got along, too, amazingly, despite the fact that we spoke honestly and plainly to one another. PC is antithetical to that.

I do like your first statement. But remember being PC is also not calling african americans using an n-word and not calling homosexual men using an f-word. Some do take PC too far, but being honest doesn't mean having to insult others.

snoopy65
07-08-2009, 08:48 AM
When one has to set aside their own beliefs, traditions, and ideals to be politically correct, I think it is innappropriate. As with almost all things, moderation is the key. When "under God" is considered politically incorrect (Yes, our fore fathers meant the King James Version of God because that is who they were, but the Pledge just says God - whom ever that is to you). When diciplining your children is politically incorrect ( I am so sick of "Now Johnny I am going to count to 3 and then put you in time out". Johnny just hit his sister up side the head with a baseball bat. Let the punishment fit the crime! Bust his @$*!). When your child comes home from "field day" with ribbons and a small trophy for "participation" for fear of ruining their self esteem (What happened to winning and losing with grace?). When you have to say "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas for fear of offending someone (I would not be offended if someone told me Happy Kwanza or Happy Hanakah-quite honestly I would wish it back and smile).

I personnally think many people have taken "political correctness" to too much of an extreme just as there are people who are extremely on the other end. There is a very real difference between trying to do away with predudices, bigotry and the like and being who you are and keeping your beliefs intact. But I guess I am politically incorrect.

John_Nicholson
07-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Great post Snoopy65.

-john

snoopy65
07-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Great post Snoopy65.

-john

Thanks

Discus-Hans
07-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Snoopy, VERY VERY good post.

Hans

snoopy65
07-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks Hans

KDodds
07-08-2009, 12:09 PM
I do like your first statement. But remember being PC is also not calling african americans using an n-word and not calling homosexual men using an f-word. Some do take PC too far, but being honest doesn't mean having to insult others.

Well, see, I'm with snoop here... there's a vast difference between using patently offensive terms in patently offensive context, and using words that simply are "offensive" to a particularly thin-skinned individual, but in no way, shape, or form imply any discriminatory view or have any other "offensive" connotation. A prime example is using the term "midget" to describe a "little person". Now, to me, little person is FAR more offensive. Midget simply describes an person of much less than "average" stature, whereas "little person" can easily encompass children, or, worse, implies, by needing to exclude them from the "label", that children are not "persons", or that the person in question is somewhat less than a "full person". There is no historical significance that makes the term "midget" discriminatory or otherwise offensive, to the best of my knowledge. When I was in college, I had a casual acquaintence who happened to be an achondroplasiac dwarf. His take on the matter, excluding the expletives, was something like, "if a [expletive] word like that [expletive] bothers you, you have a lot more [explative] problems than being a [expletive] midget". How far do you go to cater to "special interests", simply to shut them up, who want to enforce their opinions on the world simply just because they can? The blind are no longer blind? Visually impaired is better somehow? How? Does "blind" imply something less than human? Someone who is not my equal in every respect, just with different skills, talents, and challenges? Please. Being PC is like belonging to the largest moron club in the nation. If you can't tell the difference in the offensiveness between a word used for centuries to degrade a people because of the color of their skin and a term that is used to describe someone with a congenital condition or someone who has a sense impairment, or whatever, I would submit that you label yourself "intellectually challenged" and circle about you a group of friends who are equally thin-skinned and Napoleonically passive-aggresive. 'Cause, isn't that what being PC is all about? Being debilitatingly passive-aggressive?

YSS
07-08-2009, 12:54 PM
A lot of good posts here. I think we are all in agreement that moderation is the key and that when taken too far, all things including being PC, loses the good intention. But take a look at the great analogy OP included

If he was trying to be funny, then we are all good, but if he was serious that this sort of stands is what's encouraging about this country, then I am seriously concerned.

John_Nicholson
07-08-2009, 01:30 PM
"entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end" With an ending like that how could anyone not realize that it was a joke?

-john

P.S. KDobbs another great post.

YSS
07-08-2009, 02:29 PM
"entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end" With an ending like that how could anyone not realize that it was a joke?

-john

P.S. KDobbs another great post.

I guess my sense of humor left me while I was reading the post. :) You pm made me think you were really serious. My bad. :D

Peachtree Discus
07-08-2009, 04:07 PM
so, was there an award actually ?

Bgroovy2
07-08-2009, 10:53 PM
;551678]Funny, I always thought political correctness was : the use of accepted euphemisms used to define how bigoted the speaker is by virtue of the fact that said speaker has consciously chosen to use the word, usually evidenced by a slight pause, in question other than a more commonly understood vernacular, thereby displaying the speaker's severely ingrained egocentric views, and acknowledgement of, and agreement with, the offensive views inferred by the mind of the listener.

Sounds to me like you are up and unsanitary tributary without a means of propulsion :D

Roxanne
07-09-2009, 05:37 PM
I think this is why God invented MANNERS, to circumvent all the nasty words men have invented to degrade each other..if we are polite, and respectful to each other, surely, we need not worry if we are "PC"....

Rox

GrillMaster
07-09-2009, 11:59 PM
So we call blacks African Americans... To be politically correct we need to call whites European Americans...;) :D :D :D

rickztahone
07-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Sounds to me like you are up and unsanitary tributary without a means of propulsion :D

LMFAO

calihawker
07-10-2009, 12:10 PM
So we call blacks African Americans... To be politically correct we need to call whites European Americans...;) :D :D :D

I have 2 friends. (Well more than that actually:p)
One is a black guy who's family is originally from Tobago. He absolutely LOATHES the term African American being applied to him.

The other is a white native South African who just gained his U.S citzenship. He calls himself an African American. And he is. Literally.

snoopy65
07-10-2009, 12:26 PM
If I were to be completely politically correct, I guess I would be a German, French, Russian, Norwegien, Italian, Irish, Belgian, Swiss, Austrian, Native American.......where does it end.......I was born and raised a military brat. Does that make me an Army American? When I die will they put me in a box and stamp me government issue? Not that I am not ashamed and proud of my ancestory, but I am just a plain old AMERICAN.

Scribbles
07-10-2009, 01:30 PM
When you think about it what is so pc about labeling people? Isn't this just another way to alienate one another? My parents raised me to believe that the only pc terms were Sir, Ma'am, or Miss. I guess that those aren't good enough anymore. I'm lucky that I'm somewhat colorblind. I only see PEOPLE. My name is Chris but if you MUST label me you can call me white, European American, Anglo/Irish love child or queen of the monkey people whatever floats your boat. Frankly I don't give a rat's ***...oh excuse me a rodents posterior.

Chris

Roxanne
07-10-2009, 04:33 PM
...glad you chose the more PC term regarding the rats behind Chrissy lol:D

I'm definately NOT colourblind. I see the colours. I love that there are cultures and colours and differences and languages, it is what creates the rich fabric of life...

If we teach our children to embrace our differences, celebrate our individuality, respect each other, we need not teach them to be PC. Because they already will be. PC=polite and courteous

Rox

Scribbles
07-10-2009, 10:29 PM
That's what I'm talking about Rox. Not labeling people with some pc term but embracing each individual for him/her self.:)

BTW my grandmother still calls me Chrissy.

Chris

brewmaster15
07-11-2009, 06:07 AM
Hi all,
Since the Politically correct thing for me to do here is take the middle road:) .....
PC has been around awhile..its not a new concept in the USA or even globally... Its become a Joke to a large extent as to what we can and can not say and how that is said to as not offend anyone as John's first post shows so well:)

....but at its core...Its a political tool used by both parties here in the USA and used globally by other political entities to further political agendas..... Hence the name..."politically" correct

Gotta love Wiki...;) interesting write up on PC here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

Read the whole article if you get a a chance...quite interesting.

best regards,
al

Roxanne
07-11-2009, 07:14 AM
well that's deep..:D..it's all so much clearer to me now:crazy:

ShinShin
07-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Actually, ma'am is not politically correct these days, nor is sir. I was at a seminar about a year ago and we were told by the well paid facilitator that depending upon whom you were talking to and in which part of the country you were, the two terms could be offensive to the person you were speaking. My thought was, "Too f.....g bad".

To have a conversation with a PC'er is the most boring conversation a person with a mind could have, because I have yet to have a conversation with one (a PC'er) who has an original thought of their own, only those thoughts that someone has told them that they could have. How sad it must be to have to be told how to think because obviously someone or something thinks that you can't trust yourself.

To call a person a derogatory term, like a black man a n....r, or a gay man a f....t, isn't being not PC, it is being cruel.

I, for one, am very tired of being told how to think and feel by some faction. I live in a free world, with a free mind, and God given free will, and I will think and act as I want, being well aware of the consequences of living that way. I will furthermore pay whatever price I need to pay for this way of life, something a PC'er never will do because it is never their fault. Ever notice how they never accept responsibility for their actions, and always blame another or something else for what happens to them?

Mat

GrillMaster
07-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Well all I know is I can pick up a turd by the clean end as long as I use rubber gloves... ;) :D :D :D

Roxanne
07-11-2009, 09:42 PM
...To call a person a derogatory term, like a black man a n....r, or a gay man a f....t, isn't being not PC, it is being cruel.

Mat

Amen

...yet, to call a White European Australian a "skippy" is I think, personally, speaking as one, ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS:D...to me...I guess it depends on "how" you say it and "what" you mean by it too.....being called a "mother" isn't always a compliment these days is it? lol

Rox

Roxanne
07-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Well all I know is I can pick up a turd by the clean end as long as I use rubber gloves... ;) :D :D :D

use the poopy scooper Mark...it's more PC..."precise and clean" :D

Bgroovy2
07-15-2009, 02:54 AM
I, for one, am very tired of being told how to think and feel by some faction. I live in a free world, with a free mind, and God given free will, and I will think and act as I want, being well aware of the consequences of living that way. I will furthermore pay whatever price I need to pay for this way of life, something a PC'er never will do because it is never their fault. Ever notice how they never accept responsibility for their actions, and always blame another or something else for what happens to them?

Mat

I agree with your frustrations but if you think we live in a free country, you have a rude awaking coming.

KDodds
07-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Actually, quite a good write up on Wiki there, brewmaster. Those who tout political correctness as THE way to be really should read it, and love the reference to an Orwellian/Huxleyian society. I guess not a lot of people see it that way, seeing being PC as being polite more than anything. The problem is one of "enforced politeness", a police state kind of thing, which may or may not originate from the actual government. In any case, if anyone believes that "enforced politeness" breeds anything positive, they really should examine the situation more closely. Back to my original thoughts, you have to see the turd as a turd before you can consciously decide to call it fecal matter. If you see it as fecal matter, regardless of your personal preference of label, hey, great. But if you see it as a turd, there's not really any word you can use that is magically going to change your view, that word will just conceal your true feelings, most of the time. To the truly astute, there are nigh imperceptible changes in body language, inflection, intonation, phrasing, timing, that can possibly reveal your true feelings though, so better actually practice saying fecal matter in the mirror with a big ol' smile on your face if you REALLY want to fool everybody. ;)