PDA

View Full Version : Ooooops!

wolfbane
07-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Okay, it finally happened to me. I had just finished cleaning my 150 planted discus tank, it was refilling. I ran for a quick peek at "Farm Town" on the computer, and.......yup, got sucked in and forgot about the refilling tank! Hubby screaming alerted me to the problem! Thankfully, it seems only a little water flowed out, maybe a couple of gallons. I have fans on the area now, hoping not much went under the stand, hoping it all dries out. The carpet under the stand may be a little wet, debating whether to drill holes in the stand bottom to get air in there.

jessbullock
07-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Hahaha!
I've done the same thing, squeezing in a water change while packing for vacation.. Left a 125 filling while I went upstairs, remembered the tank when I heard my mum yelling. About 20-30 gallons went onto the carpeted floor.. not fun, not fun at all.

I'd like to think I've learned, but I needed a few more over-fills to REALLY get the message :D

Good luck with your husband

Roxanne
07-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Debbie, you ain't the first and you ain't gonna be the last to think they can multi task whilst filling a tank.:D.....done it plenty of times myself, but always managed to hide it from the other half lol....now I set the kitchen oven timer so when I hear that disgusting noise it makes, I know the tank is full...maybe next time you are doing a big empty, you can move the tank away from the wet spot to let it dry, then you won't spoil your cabinet by drilling it.

Roxanne

wolfbane
07-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Lol! Yeah, I really wish he hadn't been the one to see it happen, but he's taking it well. He says He will drill the floor of the cabinet to let the air in. No other choice, unless I want to take the tank down and move it, NO WAY!

traversediscus
07-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Hahaha!
I've done the same thing, squeezing in a water change while packing for vacation.. Left a 125 filling while I went upstairs, remembered the tank when I heard my mum yelling. About 20-30 gallons went onto the carpeted floor.. not fun, not fun at all.

I'd like to think I've learned, but I needed a few more over-fills to REALLY get the message :D

Good luck with your husband

Done that just before i went to Turkey a few years ago. I am also due to do it again as i change my water late at night and i start falling asleep as im watching it fill.

Mr Wild
07-07-2009, 08:41 PM
LOL yep done this for sure, even did it with my aging barrell, got engrossed in the midday movie and was like, where is that water noise coming from??? OOOOOOOOOOOHH Shite! Ahh well it has to happen I guess - all part of the fun! LOL

Scribbles
07-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Did that years ago when I cleaned tanks at a LFS and my boss was the one to bring it to my attention. She was not a pleasant person on the best of days so you can imagine the conversation. Well she cleaned tanks a couple of days later to show me how an inteligent person cleaned tanks. We both got busy helping customers and you guessed it, flooded the whole fish section. What a mess.

Chris

MRQuad
07-07-2009, 10:49 PM
it happened to me too! LOL!

i was filling a 75% of my 110G, and fall asleep! man! i dreamed about water was dripping off on the floor and heard a very noise drops! and this happens in my main floor.. so, yeah.. not good at all.. the main floor got flooded and so with my basement.. but my wife don't know about this though.. shhhh! :D

wolfbane
07-08-2009, 12:55 AM
Now see, if we had non-carpeted floors, like I wanted, this wouldn't be such an issue! Ah well, not bad, once in 7 years of discus keeping, 20 yrs of fishkeeping all together. (knocking on wood!)

rickztahone
07-08-2009, 02:28 AM
something similar happened to me. it wasn't an over-fill, it was my hose attached to my sub-pump came loose off the suction cups that i keep the hose in place. it just whipped out of the tank and was splashing all over the place, and i mean all over the place. my wife was right there as well and we had a good ol' laugh, until i had to clean it up, lol.

DiscusKeeper403
07-08-2009, 02:41 AM
Haven't done it yet, but lots of near misses!

poconogal
07-08-2009, 07:11 AM
Haven't overflowed the tank, because I make sure to stand right in front of it and watch it refill, but I have flooded my 1/2 bath. My sink drain was closed and when I was draining the tank with the Python, of course the sink overflowed, and kept overflowing, until my husband saw water pouring down into the basement. Now our basement is heated but not finished, so it wouldn't have been a big deal, but the water just happened to be coming down right over all of his expensive guitars and amps that he has down there! To make matters worse, this was the second time this happened. :o He was not a happy camper. Luckily there's been no damage to anything in the bathroom.

Eddie
07-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Can't say that I haven't done it. :o Luckily the majority of my tanks are on cement tiles. I'd be pi$$ed off if this happened with my tanks over rugs. :(

All the best,

Eddie

Disgirl
07-08-2009, 08:28 AM
I had my refilling hose flip out of the tank last night, in our dining room, and about a quart of water went all over the wood floor, carpet under the table and under the tank stand before I could get to it and put it back into the tank. I had forgotten to put the weight on top of the lid like I usually do. Also, in a lfs years ago the owner was talking to me and went rushing into the discus area all of a sudden. He had forgotten about the siphoning in one tank and the tank had about 1/2" of water left in the bottom with large discus flopping around in it. Don't think he lost any but what a sight to see. And those were all Wattley turqs!
Barb:)

Eddie
07-08-2009, 08:35 AM
I had my refilling hose flip out of the tank last night, in our dining room, and about a quart of water went all over the wood floor, carpet under the table and under the tank stand before I could get to it and put it back into the tank. I had forgotten to put the weight on top of the lid like I usually do. Also, in a lfs years ago the owner was talking to me and went rushing into the discus area all of a sudden. He had forgotten about the siphoning in one tank and the tank had about 1/2" of water left in the bottom with large discus flopping around in it. Don't think he lost any but what a sight to see. And those were all Wattley turqs!
Barb:)

Thats how I do my water changes everyday Barb! They all just flop around in about a 1/4" of water. :D

Eddie

Disgirl
07-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Just wondering Eddie, how stressful is it to the fish to go through this every day? I would be afraid to try it! :D
Barb

Eddie
07-08-2009, 08:52 AM
Just wondering Eddie, how stressful is it to the fish to go through this every day? I would be afraid to try it! :D
Barb

Mustn't be too bad as once the water reaches just above the dorsal, I feed them and they rip up some food! :D

Take care,

Eddie

Jhhnn
07-08-2009, 08:44 PM
I have my system set up to avoid overfilling... well, other than the ageing barrels in the cellar, and that's coming up next on the agenda.

After a little bit of trial and error, I located a drain mark on the tank... I can't overfill because the barrel only holds enough to refill to the mark, and the pump never really runs dry, because it's holding up a 12' column of water... the piping stays in place all the time, and I drilled a 1/4" hole in the u-tube filler at the waterline to prevent back- siphoning...

Mr Wild
07-09-2009, 12:11 AM
Glory! I only understood 1/2 of that ! LOL
If it isn't a cannister filter and some pvc pipe I get lost!

discusluvr818
07-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Like another poster said, you definitely are not the first or last. I did that a couple days ago changing my water in the 45 gallon juvie tank. My wife asked me to feed the tortoise whilst the python was doing its thing. Then my daughter distracted me and I looked to a screaming wife and water spewing onto my hardwood floors. OUCH!! Multitasking....not good with waterchanges!! :bandana:

mmorris
07-10-2009, 10:15 PM
I consider any day a good day if I don't have to mop up a major spill! Has anyone had the tv on, gone upstairs, heard running water and come tearing down only to discover the running water was on Tv? It shouldn't be allowed! It's as bad as a police siren on the radio when you're racing down the road. :scared:

Scribbles
07-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Sure am glad that I use buckets.

Chris

csarkar001
07-11-2009, 01:36 AM
a leakfrog is a cheap investment.

rickztahone
07-11-2009, 01:40 AM
I consider any day a good day if I don't have to mop up a major spill! Has anyone had the tv on, gone upstairs, heard running water and come tearing down only to discover the running water was on Tv? It shouldn't be allowed! It's as bad as a police siren on the radio when you're racing down the road. :scared:

lol

TankWatcher
07-11-2009, 07:58 AM
a leakfrog is a cheap investment.
What is a leakfrog?

I consider any day a good day if I don't have to mop up a major spill! :D:D:D

Eddie
07-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Leakfrog

http://www.ideativeinc.com/leakfrog.cfm

Eddie

mmorris
07-11-2009, 09:04 AM
So you sit it on the floor next to the barrel? I'm usually `alarmed' when I hear the water hit the floor. Isn't there an alarm that tells us when the water reaches a certain level in the barrel or tank? Seems like someone mentioned it once, but said it was really, really loud.

Scribbles
07-11-2009, 01:22 PM
If you know approximatly how long it takes to fill your tank couldn't you just set an egg timer? You could set it for a couple of minutes before the tank/barrel should be full.

Chris

korbi_doc
07-11-2009, 02:20 PM
;) Boy, am I familiar with this problem..multi-tasking gets me in trouble all the time...been thru sev'l flood alert alarms, last one was ineffective cuz not loud enough & didn't keep up....so, bought one in April from a Jeff Corbett in Ohio...loudest screech I've heard, even in the other end of the house away from fishroom....I'd recommend one for y'all to help....'course you do have to set it where it'll do the quickest alarm forya.....cost was $19 +sh....worth every penny so far....e-mail clubreef@aol.com item #290269679749
phone: 866-332-6725

Can't remember where I found it, used paypal, maybe Ebay, maybe not, lol.....

Dottie

korbi_doc
07-11-2009, 02:24 PM
;) Martha, that one in my post can be put in the tank at any level you want, on the floor, hang anywhere you want it & boy is it LOUD!!!!!!! I use it to fill my 50g barrels & tanks if I leave the room, lol.....

So you sit it on the floor next to the barrel? I'm usually `alarmed' when I hear the water hit the floor. Isn't there an alarm that tells us when the water reaches a certain level in the barrel or tank? Seems like someone mentioned it once, but said it was really, really loud.

mmorris
07-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Will it freak out the landlady? :o

korbi_doc
07-11-2009, 04:01 PM
:crazy: ROTF! Well, haven't put it to that test yet, Martha...but I'd bet if she heard it she'd freak!!! ..kinda startles me when it goes off if I'm not expectin' it, lol.....but, you could avoid other problems, lol....;)

Will it freak out the landlady? :o

zn394
07-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Well, as I sit here waiting on my second holding tank to refill, guess what happened? Oh yes. While refilling the first tank. Only one among many I'm afraid - I'm with Martha on this one.

Hmmmm, 4" to go, and I'm typing :crazy:. I got one of those alarms too, but it's on my 150gl display. I'd have to get several more to keep from doing it again. My daughter walked in a minute ago and seeing the wet/dry vac, says "Again?!?" Oh well, whatcha gonna do?

korbi_doc
07-11-2009, 08:53 PM
;) ROTFLMAO!! Jeff, you're supposed to move it along with the hose to each tank as you fill.....honest it's not that hard...why would you leave it in one place??....oh well....

Scribbles
07-12-2009, 01:22 PM
When the alarm goes off doesn't it scare the crap out of the discus? Since sound is amplified in water I'm imagining discus flying all over the place banging into the sides of the tank etc.

Chris

korbi_doc
07-12-2009, 01:56 PM
:D LOL Chris...the alarm itself is not in the tank, there is a long wire to the alarm with only the detector itself in the water...you could place it at a distance, even put it on a cushioned surface...it's very similar to others I've had, just is a much clearer/louder sound.....don't think that'd be as much problem as flooded floors & furniture.....

When the alarm goes off doesn't it scare the crap out of the discus? Since sound is amplified in water I'm imagining discus flying all over the place banging into the sides of the tank etc.

Chris

Scribbles
07-12-2009, 03:05 PM
LOL.:D I get it now.:D LOL. You can imagine what I was thinking.

Chris

Roxanne
07-12-2009, 06:08 PM
I had my refilling hose flip out of the tank last night

...yes yes....forgot about "crazy hose"....:D..done that too:o...twice:o:o

Rox

Cybervlad
07-12-2009, 11:38 PM
i always use this:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100038838&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=100038838&cm_mmc=shopping-_-google-_-D26X-_-100038838

best $10 i ever spent

csarkar001
07-14-2009, 08:45 AM
if you dont like the leakfrog and want to alarm at a specific level:

http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Controls-THP205-Alarm-Flood/dp/B000IF6URO/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_c

something like this may be more to your liking.

tools for the aging and absent minded. unfortuantely, i fit both categories.

korbi_doc
07-15-2009, 09:55 AM
:D Csarkar, That indeed does look just like the one I've been using....

Oh, & BTW, I also fit both categories....lol.....

if you dont like the leakfrog and want to alarm at a specific level:

http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Controls-THP205-Alarm-Flood/dp/B000IF6URO/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_c

something like this may be more to your liking.

tools for the aging and absent minded. unfortuantely, i fit both categories.