PDA

View Full Version : question on gas removal from tap water

csarkar001
07-08-2009, 11:40 AM
currently, i use a power head to agitate my water for 24 hours before use.

does anyone know of any devices that can be used to remove gas from tap water in real time so that no storage device (or only a small storage device) is required?

i'm thinking of some sort of trickle filter type device ... would that work?

thanks
chandan

Harriett
07-08-2009, 03:13 PM
I fill straight from the tap with a python. To help off-gas the water, I make sure that the incoming water [ via the python tube] is well above the water level--I keep it at the level of the rim of the tank. As the water pours down and splashes the surface, it offgasses. Another thing I have done that actually my discus loved to play in, was to get a garden shower/watering wand and using quik clips attached to the wand and python hose, I just snapped them together and fill the tanks. I hooked the wand head over the edge of the tank and in effect the incoming water was a shower. If the wand eventually clogs from the minerals in your water, just soak it in vinagar and it will dissolve any build up. I change about 70% of the water at a time and my discus do fine. I am a bit extra careful at the beginning of the spring and the fall, when my water dept. is changing their procedures a bit, so that there are no stressful suprises for the discus.
Best regards,
Harriett

wgtaylor
07-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Hi Chandan,

I'm not up on your specific water conditions but here is a link to what I do for my contest discus here on Simply. Had to come up with something simple and quick, it's been working well.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=71935&page=2

Bill

csarkar001
07-08-2009, 06:26 PM
thanks bill, i've read your setup thread previously and really like the stuff you've done. i'm just trying to remove the storage element.

csarkar001
07-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Harriett:

i've tried dripping the water from above the water line to do the splashing you describe but it doesnt seem to work for me. i suspect i may have more gas dissolved than you do. i'm wondering if passing it through a trickle filter will do the trick and if so, how big a filter will be required.

chandan

I fill straight from the tap with a python. To help off-gas the water, I make sure that the incoming water [ via the python tube] is well above the water level--I keep it at the level of the rim of the tank. As the water pours down and splashes the surface, it offgasses. Another thing I have done that actually my discus loved to play in, was to get a garden shower/watering wand and using quik clips attached to the wand and python hose, I just snapped them together and fill the tanks. I hooked the wand head over the edge of the tank and in effect the incoming water was a shower. If the wand eventually clogs from the minerals in your water, just soak it in vinagar and it will dissolve any build up. I change about 70% of the water at a time and my discus do fine. I am a bit extra careful at the beginning of the spring and the fall, when my water dept. is changing their procedures a bit, so that there are no stressful suprises for the discus.
Best regards,
Harriett

Mr Wild
07-08-2009, 07:05 PM
You may want to check the amount of gas in your water first. I had never really thought of it but the other day I was filling a new 4ft tank in the lounge room with no fish to go in it straight away I thought I will just fill with cold water straight out of the tap and run the filters and air and condition my water insitu as it didn't matter how long it took. Even with the water splashing in the bubbles that stayed on the heater surface and the surfaces of the tank was astounding and it took days for them to release. Glad I didn't have any fishy in there! HTH

csarkar001
07-09-2009, 08:05 AM
yes, kathy. that is exactly the situation i have with my water as well.

DiscusOnly
07-09-2009, 08:42 AM
I use the splashing on the side, filling water into the divided side of the tank, etc.. and it works most of the time. There are times when I will see the gas bubbles.

I am trying a DIY device this weekend and see if if works. I'll update the results.

Van

brewmaster15
07-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Chandan,
They use very large "degassing towers" in aquaculture,which are basically a "trickle Tower" where the water is not trickled but pumped vigoriously...I Saw one in action at a trout hatchery last year... you may want to read up on them...but I don't think theres a way around the storage bin for a small capacity degasser.

Best of luck,
al

Dkarc@Aol.com
07-09-2009, 09:03 AM
I'll see if I can get a few pics of the degassing towers we use at the farm.

-Ryan

Harriett
07-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Yup, it does sound like you may have more to de-gas than I have. The other thing helping in my tank that I didn't mention is that there are 2 filter systems on this tank, a big FX5 and a smaller canister. I keep the smaller canister [about the size of an Eheim 2026] going during water changes--it is rigged to a horizontal spray bar about 2" below the rim, runnning down the length of the tank--so there is constant agitation from this cascade of water as well, during the filling--I suspect that is part of the reason my system is working so well for me! Sorry, should have mentioned this!
Best regards,
Harriett

csarkar001
07-09-2009, 10:53 AM
thanks, everyone; i'm fascinated by the degassing tower idea. please keep me posted.

Mr Wild
07-09-2009, 06:48 PM
yes, kathy. that is exactly the situation i have with my water as well.

I use a large airstone on full blast, is that an option for you? HTH Although it does not remove the storage / aging of the water.

Apistomaster
07-11-2009, 04:12 PM
I have never worried about this. Don't know of any really good reasons to do so. Just add Prime to your tank and top it off straight from the faucet. Don't change more than 75% of your water at a time.

There are reasons why aquaculture uses de-gassing towers that are not relevant to aquarium maintenance.
Has more to do with water conservation issues and removing ammonia before reusing the water in the main system again.