PDA

View Full Version : Need WC ideas

Scribbles
07-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Hey all, I need a little help figuring out an easier way to do wc. Long story short I lost most of my eyesight years ago and now I may be losing it entirely. My plan had always been to sell my discus if this happened but the juvies that I have now are extra special to me and I would like to try keeping them. Right now I'm doing wc using buckets. I got a python last month but our water pressure is too low for it to work well. The hose is too short to reach the yard if hooked up to my gravel vac so I was thinking of trying this with a regular garden hose. I'm thinking if I fill a bucket in the kitchen sink that I could keep the faucet running and drop a power head or pump with a low gph into the bucket and connect the pump to my tank with the python hose. This will allow me to adjust the temp during wc as needed. Would this work? Any ideas are appriciated. I want to have everything worked out just in case. Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Eddie
07-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Hey there Chris, not that this a bad idea but if the water pressure is too low coming out of the faucet, the rate the powerhead pushing water from the bucket will surely empty the bucket before you get the tank filled.

Is there no way to adjust your water pressure? Can you use storage container near the tank so that you can fill it using the python during the day while you are doing something else, since it takes so long? This way, the container can stay filled. Whenever you do a water change, quickly drop a powerhead or pump in the storage bin and fill your tank.

Eddie

Disgirl
07-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Chris, this may or may not work for you but here is what I do. My tank is in the dining room next to the kitchen. The sink is about 15-20 feet from my sink. To drain the tank I drop a pump on the end of a garden hose into the tank and the other end goes into the sink. Just turn it on and it pumps the water, about 35 gal., into the sink. Then I attach the hose to my faucet after getting the temp right, and fill up the tank with the same hose. Of course I take the pump off the end in the tank. The whole process takes me just 20 min. each evening. But first I siphon the bottom into a bucket using a pvc tube attached to some tubing. I use a white, drinking water safe hose. Hope this is clear, if not just ask.
Barb:)

Scribbles
07-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Hey there Chris, not that this a bad idea but if the water pressure is too low coming out of the faucet, the rate the powerhead pushing water from the bucket will surely empty the bucket before you get the tank filled.

Is there no way to adjust your water pressure? Can you use storage container near the tank so that you can fill it using the python during the day while you are doing something else, since it takes so long? This way, the container can stay filled. Whenever you do a water change, quickly drop a powerhead or pump in the storage bin and fill your tank.

Eddie

Unfortunately a storage container is not an option right now. There just isn't room anywhere. One of the cars has even been booted out of the garage due to some remodeling that has moved other things into the garage. I'm currently changing about 45 gallons daily and it takes about 25 mins to fill. If I can find a power head that pumps under 108 gph I should be ok. Just looking for the easiest option available. Thanks for the ieas.

Chris

Scribbles
07-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Chris, this may or may not work for you but here is what I do. My tank is in the dining room next to the kitchen. The sink is about 15-20 feet from my sink. To drain the tank I drop a pump on the end of a garden hose into the tank and the other end goes into the sink. Just turn it on and it pumps the water, about 35 gal., into the sink. Then I attach the hose to my faucet after getting the temp right, and fill up the tank with the same hose. Of course I take the pump off the end in the tank. The whole process takes me just 20 min. each evening. But first I siphon the bottom into a bucket using a pvc tube attached to some tubing. I use a white, drinking water safe hose. Hope this is clear, if not just ask.
Barb:)

Good idea, but our kitchen faucet is some off brand that I can't find connections for. Changing it is not an option as it is not my house. I can hook up to the bathroom faucet but with our little hot water tank I have to adjust the temp frequently and I don't want to have the wrong temp pouring in off and on while I'm adjusting it. That's why I was thinking of using the bucket in the sink. I could just turn the faucet away from the bucket while adjusting the temp.

Chris

Scribbles
07-08-2009, 11:48 PM
The faucets on the upstairs bathtubs have better pressure and keep the temp steady. Can I attach my python to them? I don't think that this would work for draining the tank but it might work for filling it if I can find fittings.

Chris

Eddie
07-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Hey Chris, I use one of these on my faucet in the bathroom because it has insane pressure, I love this little adapter for the python.
http://www.aquatichouse.com/Maintenance_files/Python69A.JPG

Scribbles
07-09-2009, 12:32 AM
Thanks Eddie! Do you think that it would work on the tub faucet?

Chris

Eddie
07-09-2009, 01:20 AM
Thanks Eddie! Do you think that it would work on the tub faucet?

Chris

It really depends, is your tub faucet mouth very large? My bathroom faucet is square and this thing fits around it nice and tight. Do you have a shower head? Can you take that off and attach it there? A bit of a pain to do all the time I guess, maybe not. :o

Eddie

Scribbles
07-09-2009, 01:45 AM
I have a shower massager on the shower head which would be a pain to take off on a daily basis. I'm going to have to go to Home Depot this weekend and see what they have to fit the tub faucet I think. It's the only faucet with enough pressue to keep a constant temp for more than a few minutes. I think/hope that if I conect a hose to my gravel vac I can run it out the door and onto the lawn ok.

Chris

Eddie
07-09-2009, 04:08 AM
I have a shower massager on the shower head which would be a pain to take off on a daily basis. I'm going to have to go to Home Depot this weekend and see what they have to fit the tub faucet I think. It's the only faucet with enough pressue to keep a constant temp for more than a few minutes. I think/hope that if I conect a hose to my gravel vac I can run it out the door and onto the lawn ok.

Chris

Thats what I love about my house, I have all my tanks strategically placed near doors or windows. All I do is gravity drain my tanks with large 1 in hoses and a 55 is completely bare in less than 2 minutes. :D

Good luck Chris,

Eddie

DiscusOnly
07-09-2009, 07:20 AM
If you can't use gravity drain, I suggest getting a quiet one pump and use that instead of the python. It waste soo much water and in your case, it doesn't work because of the lack of pressure. You can drop the pump into the tank or use the python attachment but since it's not self priming, it's a bit tricky to get it started.

As for refilling the tank. Since you can't use the faucet adapter, I suggest getting a thermostatic mixing valve. They are easy to install and it will solve your temperature issue.

The 2 items will set you back a little bit but it will do the trick.

Van