PDA

View Full Version : Questions re breeding

ilaizm
07-09-2009, 02:31 AM
I'm starting the breeding experience and have a few questions...

1. My pair are currently spawning on the tank glass. Does a breeding cone have beneficial effect compared to spawning on the side glass?

2. I've read that there should be a light on 24/7? Can it be one of the tubes from the hood or will that be too bright to be kept 24/7?

3. The tank i'm going to use for breeding has a HOB filter. How does breeding and such a filter work? Do I have to switch it off at some point?

Eddie
07-09-2009, 04:20 AM
Congrats on your pair!

First off, I have zero breeding experience whatsoever so take this as wasted typing.

1. Any surface the fish can lay eggs on is benificial, they do not need a cone.

2. Leaving a flourescent light strip on 24/7 will creat algae fast. Easy thing I did was flip the fixture over or sideways as to not have direct light on 24/7. Just enough to keep the tank dimly lit so the parents can tend to the eggs.

3. A HOB is definitely not advised, this will create too much flow, first for the male to hit his targets, LOL. Secondly, for the fry once they become free swimming. The current will be blowing them all over the place. Lastly, the fry could get sucked into the intake and then its all she wrote.

HTH
Eddie

ilaizm
07-09-2009, 05:11 AM
Thanks for your replies Eddie!

So how can I solve the filter problem?

Eddie
07-09-2009, 05:27 AM
Thanks for your replies Eddie!

So how can I solve the filter problem?

Is there an adjustment for the flow? What type media is in the filter?

Eddie

ilaizm
07-09-2009, 06:05 AM
Nope I can't adjust the flow. I have ceramics and a material which looks like cotton wool as filter media

DLock3d
07-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Sponge filters FTW! (For the win)

I think sponge filters are the preferred choice for breeder tanks. :D

John_Nicholson
07-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Use a sponge filter. The only advantage of a cone is if you have a female that scatters the eggs it can cause her to group them better. If you have a good pair the glass is just as good.

-john

Chad Hughes
07-09-2009, 01:59 PM
All excellent inputs! Sponge filters and any vertical surface works. I like to use pieces of slate. Good luck with your breeding!

Best wishes!