PDA

View Full Version : Well Water Experience

David Rose
07-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Anyone here have a house well instead of city water? This can present a unique set of circustances. I found that my brine water softening system that processes all the house water wasn't working when I first set up my tank. I replaced it with a Culigan System and added an RO unit at my kitchen sink. I've never had well water before, so I added a UV light when I bought the house that should be added insurance. I've been using the RO water with adding Kent RO Right. Given I have Juvies, what should I be targeting for GH/KH/PH? Currently, I've been keeping steady at 3GH, 2-3KH, and 6.8PH. I read somewhere that you shouldn't let your KH fall below 4.0 because it could cause a PH crash but perhaps with changing 20% of my water twice a week this isn't an issue. If not, how do you adjust KH? Any suggestions for improvement?

Thanks,
David

Chad Hughes
07-10-2009, 05:29 PM
David,

I'd leave everyhing as it is. Your waer parameters sound pretty good. Some like higher mineral levels for juvie grow out, but I think you'll be OK.

Best wishes!

poconogal
07-10-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm on a well. Surprisingly, we don't need any water systems but in my previous house, still in the Poconos but about 8 miles away, we had a Culligan softener and PH neutralizer, and we needed it. I don't do anything to my water, I have no RO and don't use UV, but I do have sort of weird water... very clean, but weird, LOL! Its dgh 5, dkh 4 and PH 7.8 out of the tap. I believe dkh of 3 is the minimum recommended for keeping PH stable. In my tank its dgh 5, dkh 3 and PH 7.6. Are you running a canister? If you need to raise your KH you can use crushed coral in your filter or placed in a media bag in the tank. You can start with 1-2 cups and test after several days.

David Rose
07-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks Chad and Connie!

I'm probably over doing it with the RO unit and having to add back. My well water before the new water softening system was around 16dgh, 12dkh, and 7.6 PH. Now I think it's at about 6-7 dgh and 4-5 dkh with 7.0 ph out of the tap, but I'll retest to be sure. Sounds like I could age it out of the tap unless I'm breeding?

As for filters, I already had two Marineland Emperor 400gph with biowheels that I use without charcoal on my 75Gal. I was looking to add some floss or foam in place of the extra cartridge slots over the weekend, but was still researching this or if I needed to replace any of my filters. I also have a Magnum 350 Deluxe that I only use the micron filter to polish once a week.

I've attached a couple of photos.

poconogal
07-10-2009, 09:02 PM
David, your water out of the tap is just fine. I'd just age it and use it as is. As far as breeding, I think its okay for that too. I've had several spawning pairs form, and lots of wrigglers, a/k/a snacks in a community Discus tank.