PDA

View Full Version : leaky tank move asap ?

rly
07-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Well i was building a new canopy for my 125 and decided it was time for a trial fit just to be sure , we start removing existing and notice water, after inspecting we find a leak i think pretty hi up on the tank,but now of coarse i have to move 14 discus all in the 3-5 in.range to other tanks i am very nervous about any changes.
So i have a 110 (4x2x2) w/6in motoro and a couple 6in albino turqs i have had a few mos i am thinking maybe most can go there and i have a couple 50 breeder tanks with angels and plecos these tanks have much more algae than the tank they are in now but otherwise same basic water source and schedules.
I dont know should i just swap from tank to tank or try to acclimate them slowly most tank temps are simalar
Any thoughts appreciated
Thanks
ron

rickztahone
07-11-2009, 01:14 PM
do you have a temporary empty tank? transfer the fish and filters to the new tank. this will only be temporary until you re-seal the one that has a leak. they can be in a smaller tank if it's only temporary.

rly
07-11-2009, 02:23 PM
do you have a temporary empty tank? transfer the fish and filters to the new tank. this will only be temporary until you re-seal the one that has a leak. they can be in a smaller tank if it's only temporary.

No i dont have an empty (just a 30 breeder) i may have a friend with a rubbermaid water trough i think maybe 100 gal. i forgot ,my real probablem is knowing me it would take a considerable amount of time to resale the tank ,not sure but probably should be completly torn down and redone ? What do you think
thks

rly
07-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Well i moved a few of the fish to my 110 with stingray and albinos (5) ,well these albinos should not have been alone but for some reason i get afraid to do anything such as move to main tank with others,anyway long story short they were terrible shy wouldnt come near me ,so an hour after putting these others with them i go to basement and everyone greets me at front of glass these albinos have never done this so fed everyone ate i am a happy camper
The difference in the way fish act is incredble my main tank i put my hand in everyday to clean,or just play and i can hold most of the fish without problem they are a group of 14 fish,then the basement tank with 3 discus and a stingray i cant even be in same room without them running away.
So if i can find tank to put them in i think i will transfer rest ,and after reading about tank resaling give it a try sounds pretty easy.

rickztahone
07-11-2009, 04:25 PM
good luck and keep us updated

Jhhnn
07-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Years ago, I had some luck overlaying the existing seal w/ a patch of sorts, at least if we're talking about a pinhole leak.

Locate the exact spot of the leak. Clean the surrounding few inches of glass and sealant very thoroughly, using acetone a couple of times as the final prep. Lay new sealant over the old for a couple of inches in both directions from the pinhole, and out onto the glass for ~1/4". Let cure for a couple of days.

Water pressure will hold the new sealant tight against the old... maybe. It'll work or it won't. Otherwise, it's time for a reseal. Careful which sealant you buy- some of it, the GE in particular, has anti-mold additives. There's a sticky about it somewhere. I used the perfecto aquarium sealant from F&S- works fine.

Discus seem to do best in an area where people live all the time, where they become accustomed to the changing light, sound, and movement... I get the impression that they're pretty shy and wary in the wild. They have to be. An environment that's too placid brings out that primal sort of behavior, apparently...