PDA

View Full Version : Growth in tank

Keasbeynights
07-11-2009, 10:17 PM
My fish are all happy and healthy, but I have a question about growth of a film/mucus looking stuff in my tank.

I do an 85% WC every day, yet this white growth is always on the bottom of my tank. The side panels don't get that dirty, I scrub them every 5 days or so, but the bottom gets filthy. Is this normal?

Eddie
07-11-2009, 10:46 PM
My fish are all happy and healthy, but I have a question about growth of a film/mucus looking stuff in my tank.

I do an 85% WC every day, yet this white growth is always on the bottom of my tank. The side panels don't get that dirty, I scrub them every 5 days or so, but the bottom gets filthy. Is this normal?

Hey Chris, discus produce alot of slime,more than most fish. This collects on everything, and begins to build up. Many people wipe everything in the tank down weekly but I seriously find that wiping down daily is ideal. If you have alot of film collecting, I'd wipe every 2 or 3 days in your case. Wipe everything and then drain your tank, this keeps everything in check. The film build up is a playground for parasites and bacteria alike.

HTH
Eddie

Keasbeynights
07-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks Eddie. That was what I was worried about.

I appreciate the help!