PDA

View Full Version : Skittish Discus

discusluvr818
07-14-2009, 12:54 PM
My discus are all freaking out it seems. I have 7, 6" + discus in a 100 gallon BB display. Recently they have become increasingly skittish. I recently made the switch from sand bottom to BB about a week ago, could that have something to do with it? I went to feed them this morning and the little buggers dart all over the place. One almost jumped out of the tank and another nearly wedged himself between the heater and the glass.

This concerns me because they didn't used to be like that. Water parameters are fine, 0, 0, 0 and 7.0. I checked the water first and it seems fine so I am at a loss. I want my buddies back LOL. :o

rickztahone
07-14-2009, 01:27 PM
My discus are all freaking out it seems. I have 7, 6" + discus in a 100 gallon BB display. Recently they have become increasingly skittish. I recently made the switch from sand bottom to BB about a week ago, could that have something to do with it? I went to feed them this morning and the little buggers dart all over the place. One almost jumped out of the tank and another nearly wedged himself between the heater and the glass.

This concerns me because they didn't used to be like that. Water parameters are fine, 0, 0, 0 and 7.0. I checked the water first and it seems fine so I am at a loss. I want my buddies back LOL. :o

most of the time with a drastic change like adding sand would make them skittish. they probably think it's a different tank with all the sand now. i would just give them some time.

Chad Hughes
07-14-2009, 03:26 PM
When you took the sand out of the tank, did you paint the bottom? Without a tank bottom reference, they are going to freak out a bit and it may not get any better until you put something on the bottom of the tank. When you feed from the top, the can see your reflection in the bottom. It's like the fun house effect in the tank. It's scary.

Best wishes!

discusluvr818
07-14-2009, 03:42 PM
When you took the sand out of the tank, did you paint the bottom? Without a tank bottom reference, they are going to freak out a bit and it may not get any better until you put something on the bottom of the tank. When you feed from the top, the can see your reflection in the bottom. It's like the fun house effect in the tank. It's scary.

Best wishes!

Thanks for thw heads up Ricardo and Chad. I think I got those two right. I did not paint the bottom so it is glass all sides. I am moving into my new house in a couple weeks so when I drain my tank I am going to paint the bottom I guess. I might just paint the back and sides also. The tank is only a few months old, bought it new from a LFS.

rickztahone
07-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks for thw heads up Ricardo and Chad. I think I got those two right. I did not paint the bottom so it is glass all sides. I am moving into my new house in a couple weeks so when I drain my tank I am going to paint the bottom I guess. I might just paint the back and sides also. The tank is only a few months old, bought it new from a LFS.

sry, it was a switch from sand to BB...i got it mixed up. the principle is the same though. this same thing happened to my discus as well. they kept gliding on the bottom. took a while for them to adjust. i did notice that they were more skittish from that point on though. until i painted the tank bottom a sand color

Chad Hughes
07-14-2009, 03:45 PM

Sounds good. Once you get the bottom covered, you should be fine.

Best wishes!

discusluvr818
07-14-2009, 03:51 PM

Best wishes!

plaza80
07-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Bringing this back from the dead but to add to the OP's concerns. If you just put a black card board paper on the bottom of the tank, will it work? Or can they still see reflections since the glass is not painted?

Eddie
07-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Bringing this back from the dead but to add to the OP's concerns. If you just put a black card board paper on the bottom of the tank, will it work? Or can they still see reflections since the glass is not painted?

They will still see their reflection. Paint or some type of sand/subtrate to prevent the glare. Obviously, if you paint the bottom a dark color (not advised) there will still be a glare.

Eddie

mmorris
07-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Sounds more like your water to me. 000? Check again. :) What is your wc regime?

Eddie
07-31-2009, 03:37 AM
Sounds more like your water to me. 000? Check again. :) What is your wc regime?

:confused:

Tito
07-31-2009, 05:18 AM
Hopefully they wont stress too much. Good luck.

mmorris
07-31-2009, 09:53 AM
:confused:

Eddie, he should have a nitrate reading, certainly in a BB tank. The absense of a nitrate reading suggests an incomplete - or not even started - nitrogen cycle.

Eddie
07-31-2009, 10:54 AM
Eddie, he should have a nitrate reading, certainly in a BB tank. The absense of a nitrate reading suggests an incomplete - or not even started - nitrogen cycle.

Yes, thats great, the thread was old and another poster picky backed on it with a question. Thats why I wondered what you were talking about. ;)

Eddie

John_Nicholson
07-31-2009, 11:40 AM
2 Things.

1. check your water.
2. tape some paper on the bottom side of the tank until you can get it painted.

-john

Justice
07-31-2009, 11:47 AM

Best wishes!Good Call!!!