PDA

View Full Version : How do I treat an aging barrel?

Patr1ck
07-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Im having a disease outbreak in my tanks. How do I treat the water aging barrel to ensure that no bad guys are living in there waiting to reinfect the tank once the fish are back to normal? Do I use bleach and circulate it around the aging barrel? If so what concentration?

Thanks,
Pat

Bilbo_wh
07-15-2009, 05:09 PM
I am not a huge fan of bleach and discus mentioned in the same sentance but I know people who use it quite strong and then wash out with white vinagar after.

I have used PP to sterilize nets and tanks. Not alot will survive 5 - 10ppm of PP.

Ardan
07-15-2009, 06:30 PM
I have used pp and I have also used bleach. (not at the same time:))
You can use bleach if you rinse it out several times really well. I just pour in some bleach 1 or 2 cups. for a 30 gal barrel, add a few gallons of water and use a scrub brush on it. Rinse, rinse, rinse
I then dry it with paper towel and then put water in with lots of dechlor to be safe. rinse again and use.

If you use pp, be sure to neutralize it with hydrogen peroxide before flushing it down the sewer.

hth
Ardan

Eddie
07-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Bleach and water and then rinsed really well, then filled with water and a lot of declor (4 X the amount of sodium thiosulfate).

HTH

Eddie