PDA

View Full Version : White sand - disappointing results

tcyiu
07-17-2009, 12:02 AM
After many years of procrastinating, I have finally set up black back plexi aquarium with white sand substrate. I think it looks great - really clean and elegant.

BUT now that the fish are in there, their colours are all washed out.

It was really striking how much the colours are faded when I added another school of cardinals to the one already in there. At a glance, one would almost think they're different species. Over the next few hours, the new tetras settled down, and they all have muted coloration.

The red turks appear to not have been affected. The BD has lightened up in colour substantially.

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed at the result. Anyone else with white sand care to share? Anyone want to buy 50lbs of wet sand??

Tim

rickztahone
07-17-2009, 12:06 AM
After many years of procrastinating, I have finally set up black back plexi aquarium with white sand substrate. I think it looks great - really clean and elegant.

It was really striking how much the colours are faded when I added another school of cardinals to the one already in there. At a glance, one would almost think they're different species. Over the next few hours, the new tetras settled down, and they all have muted coloration.

The red turks appear to not have been affected. The BD has lightened up in colour substantially.

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed at the result. Anyone else with white sand care to share? Anyone want to buy 50lbs of wet sand??

Tim

it might have to do more with the black back rather than the sand bottom

Eddie
07-17-2009, 12:09 AM
A complete change in the fishes environment will create some stress on the fish. I think once they get more comfortable and start getting to know their new home, they will begin to color up alot more. Alot of the color in fish has to do with their attitude/mood. ;)

Eddie

Armandi_Fishcarer
07-17-2009, 12:15 AM
Tim, I've had this problem with most fish that try & chameleon themselves too their environment. My african malawi's are of them, although colour does end up coming threw when a mix of male females are present & mature. I also had for discus a black background with, white bottom & found there is a difference with apperance in regards too colour. Once the background colour was changed to a turquoise blue, things did change for the better.

Regards
Ahmed ;)

tcyiu
07-17-2009, 02:15 AM
it might have to do more with the black back rather than the sand bottom

The old tank had a black back also. So I'm not sure about the back having any effect. The old tank had very dark gravel. The new tank has white sand.

A complete change in the fishes environment will create some stress on the fish. I think once they get more comfortable and start getting to know their new home, they will begin to color up alot more. Alot of the color in fish has to do with their attitude/mood. ;)

Eddie

I hope you're right Eddie. The stone washed denim look is NOT to my liking.

Tim, I've had this problem with most fish that try & chameleon themselves too their environment. My african malawi's are of them, although colour does end up coming threw when a mix of male females are present & mature. I also had for discus a black background with, white bottom & found there is a difference with apperance in regards too colour. Once the background colour was changed to a turquoise blue, things did change for the better.

Regards
Ahmed ;)

Ahmed, How long were the fish with white sand and black back? And then how long were they with the blue back? If Eddie is right (and I sure hope he is), I'm trying to get a sense of time needed for the fish to gain back some colour.

Tim

mmorris
07-17-2009, 09:19 AM
black back plexi aquarium with white sand substrate.

Tim

Interesting, because my results are quite the opposite. I have a black-back acrylic tank with the outside bottom painted sand colored. The blues and golds are absolutely vivid, while the reds appear darker on the turqs. I had blue diamonds in that tank before I switched to blue sapphires and the bd darkened up considerably. When did you add the fish? Like Eddie said, it might be stress related. The fish below are a golden albino and blue sapphires.

tcyiu
07-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Congrats on your beautiful fish.

My discus have been in for a couple of weeks. My BD has similar coloration to yours. It's just that in the black gravel tank, the blues were really dark and vibrant. I'm not disliking the new lighter colour on the discus. I guess I'm kvetching that the cardinals (my favorite) look like - well - minnows. LOL. They are minnows, but you know what I mean.

Tim

Patr1ck
07-25-2009, 04:01 AM
Tim, What else is in the tank on top of the white sand?

kenhappen2u
07-25-2009, 02:51 PM
i would nix the black background and go with a lighter color like blur or green ,

Armandi_Fishcarer
07-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Ahmed, How long were the fish with white sand and black back? And then how long were they with the blue back? If Eddie is right (and I sure hope he is), I'm trying to get a sense of time needed for the fish to gain back some colour.

Tim I'm talking approx 1.5-2yrs. Sencond ? is 4yrs. It tends to be related to stress at first as Eddie stated, some will go dark & others lighten up. Pigeons seem to be worst off with dark colours & pepper will show even in juvies. I've had some PB with non-specks show lightly in dark backgrounds. With fading, Discus should come back up to colour sooner or later, it just does take time. I've had some turks when put into this contrast, eat like mad, hid a little & start showing colour after a 1-2mth in that surroundings and come up to play when you at the tank. :D

I wish I had the pics to show you. Its just that I'm still getting over all the pics of family & fishies(I had from fry-adult) that blew up in a lightening not long ago, the thing surged straight past the switch board & what I thought was a great surge protector! :(

A very important thing to consider when having dark backgrounds is, you all heard it before---water quality---& I would also add filtration preferably sump or big-canister. ;)

Regards
Ahmed ;)

tcyiu
07-28-2009, 12:37 AM
OK Everyone. Thanks for the comments. I waited a while for everything to settled down. Here's the update:

Like everyone has been saying, it was probably stress related. Now that everyone has adapted to the sand, the colours are now back.

The loaches are again orange and black. The dominant discus are again colourful. The meek and the picked upon, are still dull. The cardinals never did regain colouor while in the tank with the discus. They were basically terrified. A bare sand bottom with some driftwood piles in the corner did not provide enough cover at night. (During the day, they schooled together for protection).

After moving the school of cards to another tank with the same set up (white sand, black back), and after 2 days, they became vibrant in colour. No stress, no problem.

Now my major problem is that I intended the smaller tank as a grow out tank. AND cardinals in a smaller tank do not school :-(

I have to figure out how to get the cards back in the bigger tank.

Thanks,

Tim

Patr1ck
07-28-2009, 02:32 AM
OK Everyone. Thanks for the comments. I waited a while for everything to settled down. Here's the update:

Like everyone has been saying, it was probably stress related. Now that everyone has adapted to the sand, the colours are now back.

The loaches are again orange and black. The dominant discus are again colourful. The meek and the picked upon, are still dull. The cardinals never did regain colouor while in the tank with the discus. They were basically terrified. A bare sand bottom with some driftwood piles in the corner did not provide enough cover at night. (During the day, they schooled together for protection).

After moving the school of cards to another tank with the same set up (white sand, black back), and after 2 days, they became vibrant in colour. No stress, no problem.

Now my major problem is that I intended the smaller tank as a grow out tank. AND cardinals in a smaller tank do not school :-(

I have to figure out how to get the cards back in the bigger tank.

Thanks,

Tim

Put'em back in the big tank, they'll calm down.

Pat

TankWatcher
07-28-2009, 03:44 AM
I found that most fish, other than discus, look better against a dark substrate. Most discus lighten up & look better against a light substrate, like your white sand. I think my cardinals & rummy noses look better in my planted tank (where there are parts of the tank with dark substrate, dark background, dark driftwood & bright green plants). Whereas, those same fish in my light blue walled tank with sand coloured bottom - they look a bit washed out.

Like others say, I think they just try to blend in better with their surroundings.

tcyiu
07-29-2009, 03:30 AM
Put'em back in the big tank, they'll calm down.

Pat

I'll do that once I permanently solve a problem with the overflow. My current DIY grill slots are too big. I tried to fix tha, but some of the smaller cards are slipping behind my temporary solution and getting whisked into the wet dry filter. So at night, when they try to sleep behind the driftwood for protection, they get sucked up. But when they sleep out in the open, they get harassed by the discus.

Until I can help them feel secure, I can't put them back in.

Thx,

Tim