PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Thing of This Pairing ?

BOBT00LS
07-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Hello All. I have alot of activity in my community tank. My proven Red Rose female and proven Leopard Snakeskin male have paired up. Their tubes are extended and they are ready to go. What do you think of this pairing and what type of fry might they throw ? I also have the option of pairing the red Rose female with a proven Leopard male. Your opinions are appreciated. I took the best pics I could of the RR and LS as they are constantly moving and bowing.

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr64/BOBT00LS/RRXLS7-17-09017.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr64/BOBT00LS/RRXLS7-17-09015.jpg

Bob

j_li8
07-17-2009, 03:43 PM
how big is that Leopard SS? he looks huge compared to the female.

BOBT00LS
07-17-2009, 05:41 PM
how big is that Leopard SS? he looks huge compared to the female.

Joe he is huge. That female red rose is 5.5 inches. The male Leopard Snakeskin is 7+ inches.

Bob

Eddie
07-17-2009, 08:35 PM
I don't know what they would throw Bob but both fish are super beautiful!

Best of luck with them and take care!

Eddie

kaceyo
07-17-2009, 09:21 PM
Hi Bob,
I don't see how either strain could improved by that crossing. You might get spotteds with a washed out look and/or semi striated brown/reds. But you never know. That's what makes discus so interesting.

Kacey

Elite Aquaria
07-17-2009, 09:35 PM
You never know what they may look like but I would think that from a breeding point of view it could have benefits. I think that the F1 would contain neither good spotted nor good reds but it would create a fish that may have a good red base color with the spotted genes...I would take the fish with the most spots and deepest red coloration and cross it back to your spotted fish. The end result would be a spotted fish with a deeper red base.

mmorris
07-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Bob, do you want to devote the space, time and money to raise up the fry to adulthood, let them pair off, and then raise up another generation to see what you get? It would make sense to do that if you have a goal in mind, I think.

csarkar001
07-17-2009, 10:53 PM
damn thats a big fish.

mkv
07-17-2009, 11:13 PM
You never know.... you might be in the first steps of creating a new strain.... When you think about about, that's how many strains started either on purpose or by two fishes deciding for us. Yes it does time and dedication but that's what makes it worth it. Many of us keep different strains in single tank because we want the color diversity and at the end we will have pairings like this.