PDA

View Full Version : Black to white

Crossfire636
07-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Hello everyone, i just wanted to know some people experiences with changed their substrate from black to a white sand. Did the discus really lighten up that much. Thank you

mkv
07-19-2009, 06:06 PM
I have mine in a mix of white and black gravel and while they haven't shown heavy peppering or darkening. I set my tank before I learned about the forum and at that point instead of taking all the black gravel out I just added a layer or white on top. Now is all mix because of the daily vacuming. It also might depend on the strains you have. Some are "cleaner" than others when it comes to dark surroundings.

Eddie
07-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Discus do tend to be less dark with a light/bright tank bottom, whatever it may be. This is not just dependent on pepper as only pigeon blood varieties pepper, this pertains to all types.

Take care,

Eddie

DiscusOnly
07-20-2009, 09:13 AM
As Eddie stated, it's not just the peppering. Discus will be lighter and shows more color. I was shocked with a drastic changed between having a snakeskins in planted versus barebottom, blue background. I also introduce naturose powder in his diet.

Yes, It's the same discus about 2 months apart.

Harriett
07-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Ditto what Van said. I saw the change in my PBs, and in all blue discus. SIGNIFICANT enhancement of color when I dumped the black background and darker gravel for pale blue/green background and pool sand.
Harriett

Crossfire636
07-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Well i made the change over the weekend. I am uploading a HD video of the new set up. What a difference. Ill have a before and an after for everyone really soon.