PDA

View Full Version : potted plants questions

rickztahone
07-21-2009, 01:58 AM
i didn't want to keep bugging Bryan and Chad any further so i decided to start a thread (thanks to both of you btw, extremely helpful!). this is what i am getting so far:
green wendtii
amazon sword
rosette sword
java fern (on driftwood)
anubias afzelli

i'm getting these because it says that they are easy to grow on the descriptions. i do not want to just jump into planted with extremely difficult plants. so, my question would be, out of the plants on that list (minues the fern), can i just simply plant it into the pot as soon as it arrives? do i need to trim any of them, do something special? i know i'm a complete plant noob but i would appreciate a gentle nudge in the right direction.

i currently have 4x65w 6700 k's CF bulbs in my 125. i will start with 4 pots, each for each plant. i have eco complete as substrate. i'm really not clear on the fact about fertz to be quite honest. i saw this page
http://www.aquariumplants.com/AquariumPlants_com_s_own_SUBSTRATE_VITALIZATION_p/fert.htm
and didn't know if i had to order any. if so, which? :confused:
i know Chad actually has to add Nitrates into his tank because of the tank consumption of them, so would i need that as well? i will not be using co2.

i've read about plants reading from the water column and from the substrate, how do you fert the water? does this affect the fish?

i'll leave this onslaught of questions to a minimum for now or else no one will want to answer my post, lol. i've read most of the stickies and they have been very helpful so far.

bs6749
07-21-2009, 07:58 AM
You can plant them in pots as soon as they arrive. You don't need to do anything special, just plant them and you should be all set. If you have any fertilizer tabs you could put 1-2 of them (2 for the swords) in each pot with the Eco Complete. That's the only "special thing" that I migght recommend. Let them get established before you decide to trim them. Cutting off obvious dead leaves is one thing but cutting healthy leaves is another.

Here is all you need to know about ferts: Balance is key in any aquarium. Without a balance of nutrients and light your plants will not grow well. You could have all the ferts necessary but if you don't have enough light or if you are missing one of the three macronutrients your plants will not grow. The macronutrients are: N, P, and K (nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium). It is nearly impossible to overdose on potassium, that's why hobbyists dose KNO3 (potassium nitrate) for their plants. The nitrate ion is a source of nitrogen for the plants, that's why people have them in their tanks. The plants remove the waste products from the fish and decaying matter and in turn oxygenate the water. As for dosing phosphorus, I would just do the tabs, which should have enough phosphorus for your plants. If you have an abundance of phosphorus, you will get algae.

The lighting you have should be ample for the plants that you want. You may need to dose nitrates if you notice that your nitrates are lower than 5ppm. For adding ferts to the water it shouldn't harm the fish, assuming that you don't go and add the equivalent of 30ppm of nitrate to the tank. Many people use liquid ferts to dose their tank, but they use dry potassium nitrate for dosing nitrate. You shouldn't ever have to worry about dosing potassium, and phosphorus really for that matter.

bettebulldog
07-21-2009, 11:23 AM
those plants are pretty easy to maintain. Get som fert spikes for the swords and the others just leave alone. Anubias dont like to be planted all the way down. just plant the roots and keep the rhizome above the substrate. just tie the fern onto the would as they are the same way as anubias. those will use the water column for food and the swords are heavy root feeders.

rickztahone
07-21-2009, 11:25 AM
You can plant them in pots as soon as they arrive. You don't need to do anything special, just plant them and you should be all set. If you have any fertilizer tabs you could put 1-2 of them (2 for the swords) in each pot with the Eco Complete. That's the only "special thing" that I migght recommend. Let them get established before you decide to trim them. Cutting off obvious dead leaves is one thing but cutting healthy leaves is another.

Here is all you need to know about ferts: Balance is key in any aquarium. Without a balance of nutrients and light your plants will not grow well. You could have all the ferts necessary but if you don't have enough light or if you are missing one of the three macronutrients your plants will not grow. The macronutrients are: N, P, and K (nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium). It is nearly impossible to overdose on potassium, that's why hobbyists dose KNO3 (potassium nitrate) for their plants. The nitrate ion is a source of nitrogen for the plants, that's why people have them in their tanks. The plants remove the waste products from the fish and decaying matter and in turn oxygenate the water. As for dosing phosphorus, I would just do the tabs, which should have enough phosphorus for your plants. If you have an abundance of phosphorus, you will get algae.

The lighting you have should be ample for the plants that you want. You may need to dose nitrates if you notice that your nitrates are lower than 5ppm. For adding ferts to the water it shouldn't harm the fish, assuming that you don't go and add the equivalent of 30ppm of nitrate to the tank. Many people use liquid ferts to dose their tank, but they use dry potassium nitrate for dosing nitrate. You shouldn't ever have to worry about dosing potassium, and phosphorus really for that matter.

so from the link of fertz, it looks like i should get the TOTAL (WITH PHOSPHATE) PELLETS. it says it has all the macro nutrients necessary. the only concern i guess would be the phosphate since you said that too much would lead to algae growth. is there another one from that list that might be a better choice?

bettebulldog
07-21-2009, 11:41 AM
I use the total pellets for my root feeders say once a month or more and the pellets do a better job controling algea than a liquid fert. Unless you want crazy growth which these plants wont really do i would go with the total pellets and leave out the liquid. Excel is also good. you only need a capful every other day for say a 55gal. this is a carbon source and helps the plants use up all the nutrients in the water and pellets thus keeping algea to a minimum

rickztahone
07-21-2009, 09:24 PM
I use the total pellets for my root feeders say once a month or more and the pellets do a better job controling algea than a liquid fert. Unless you want crazy growth which these plants wont really do i would go with the total pellets and leave out the liquid. Excel is also good. you only need a capful every other day for say a 55gal. this is a carbon source and helps the plants use up all the nutrients in the water and pellets thus keeping algea to a minimum

thanks a lot for the response, really appreciate it. i will get the total fert and use one pellet a month for each pot.

last question has to do with air. i currently have 2 sponge filters and 2 bubble wands that create a lot of bubbles w/ my fusion 700 air pump. would i need to turn them off during the day and turn on at night? wont it affect the sponge filters if they are off for long periods of time? i also have my output spray bars from my 2 xp3's pointed up towards the surface, should i change the angle? i also have a powerhead if the plants need movement but id rather not use it if i can avoid it becausd i want my discus to be comfortable.

TIA

bs6749
07-21-2009, 09:43 PM
You shouldn't have a problem running the sponge filters, wands, and canister filters all the time. You don't need to have them powered off during the day. Actually, if you wanted to do CO2 you might consider integrating it into the outlet tubes of your canister filters.

rickztahone
07-23-2009, 01:38 AM
i just realized something major...i have a really extended light exposure time in my tank. my lights stay on from 8:30am to 10:30pm. with these plants coming in i'm assuming that will have to change or i will get algae. how do you planted guys do it so that you can still feed many times during the day? this is my feeding times:
9am
11am
1pm (right before i leave to work)
4pm
7pm
10:30pm (when i get home from work)

i guess i can have the lights out right after i leave to work and have them turn on at around 4, would that help? any ideas are welcome. i'd hate to sacrifice the growth of the discus for plants since the discus will always be my focal point and priority in my tank.

bs6749
07-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Hey Ricardo, I think I know why you are having trouble getting your tank temp to drop! I would run the lights from noon until 6-7pm. Get yourself a timer. One of the $2-3 ones at Walmart will do the trick. Don't be fooled into the $20 ones marketed towards planted tank keepers. There is nothing special about them at all. I recommend that you get a timer specifically for a 24 hour period and not one for a week at a time. That way you can more accurately set the time that the lights should be on.

Yassmeena
07-23-2009, 10:20 PM
i put some nerite snails in my tanks - they will clean your algae right up!!! They're crazy good at it!!!!!!!!!! I recommend them. If you get horned nerites, cut the horns off with a good sissor while taking care not to squish and break the snail shell. They do not reproduce so they wont take over your tank.

Also, do you know that you should not bury the rhizome of any anubias? It will rot the plant and it will die.

Man a 125 g - I am so jealous!

bs6749
07-23-2009, 11:19 PM
i put some nerite snails in my tanks - they will clean your algae right up!!! They're crazy good at it!!!!!!!!!! I recommend them. If you get horned nerites, cut the horns off with a good sissor while taking care not to squish and break the snail shell. They do not reproduce so they wont take over your tank.

Also, do you know that you should not bury the rhizome of any anubias? It will rot the plant and it will die.

Cut off the horns on the snails? Is that how they reproduce or something?

I've talked with him about the rhizome thing and he does know better than to bury it :)

Think he's lucky to have a 125g? I'm lucky to be able to set up all the tanks I'm setting up soon. Among them are two 100g tanks, a half dozen or so 20L's and/or 29's, and some 55's/75's if I can find them. I won't be too far away so you can come and see them when I'm done and my tanks are full of babies :D

rickztahone
07-24-2009, 12:07 AM

thank you very much Yass. Bryan had told me about the anubias and the nerite snails which i will get next week as well. i had delayed it due to hot wheather as Bryan also knows, lol. it looks like this heat will not let up so i will just bite the bullet and buy them next week monday and hope for the best. don't be so jealous of the 125 just yet, it's only going to have potted plants for a while. i've been talking to Chad about a Co2 setup and i've become real intrested in a fully planted tank but that will take major research....just like jumping into discus ;)

I've talked with him about the rhizome thing and he does know better than to bury it :)

Think he's lucky to have a 125g? I'm lucky to be able to set up all the tanks I'm setting up soon. Among them are two 100g tanks, a half dozen or so 20L's and/or 29's, and some 55's/75's if I can find them. I won't be too far away so you can come and see them when I'm done and my tanks are full of babies :D

i'm jealous of all the tanks YOU will have. also, the 2 65w bulbs stay on all through the day but the lid canopy stays open halfway since i have two fixtures that hold 2 65w bulbs. the other fixture folds onto the other and it's open all day. can discus still eat when in a dark tank? i've never tried it and my dining room is pretty dark since i don't let any sun in due to the heat.

bs6749
07-24-2009, 12:29 AM
thank you very much Yass. Bryan had told me about the anubias and the nerite snails which i will get next week as well. i had delayed it due to hot wheather as Bryan also knows, lol. it looks like this heat will not let up so i will just bite the bullet and buy them next week monday and hope for the best. don't be so jealous of the 125 just yet, it's only going to have potted plants for a while. i've been talking to Chad about a Co2 setup and i've become real intrested in a fully planted tank but that will take major research....just like jumping into discus ;)

i'm jealous of all the tanks YOU will have. also, the 2 65w bulbs stay on all through the day but the lid canopy stays open halfway since i have two fixtures that hold 2 65w bulbs. the other fixture folds onto the other and it's open all day. can discus still eat when in a dark tank? i've never tried it and my dining room is pretty dark since i don't let any sun in due to the heat.

JUST potted plants? That's all I'd have in that tank with discus. A planted tank is too much work and money. Things that could be spent more wisely on more discus LOL.

Yeah, you may be jealous of my tanks...until you see the electric bill LOL. Hopefully it won't be so bad that I'll have to take a shower with the changed water every morning. Once every week would be fine, but EVERY day....that's just sick LOL. Plus, if I do it once a week I could sync that with my underwear change day for the week!

But seriously, I'd cut back on the amount of light over the tank. In my mind all you are doing is starting an algae farm. Discus should be able to eat with minimal light. Remember where they come from. The water isn't always crystal clear and they have senses to locate the food.

rickztahone
07-24-2009, 01:52 AM
JUST potted plants? That's all I'd have in that tank with discus. A planted tank is too much work and money. Things that could be spent more wisely on more discus LOL.

Yeah, you may be jealous of my tanks...until you see the electric bill LOL. Hopefully it won't be so bad that I'll have to take a shower with the changed water every morning. Once every week would be fine, but EVERY day....that's just sick LOL. Plus, if I do it once a week I could sync that with my underwear change day for the week!

But seriously, I'd cut back on the amount of light over the tank. In my mind all you are doing is starting an algae farm. Discus should be able to eat with minimal light. Remember where they come from. The water isn't always crystal clear and they have senses to locate the food.

very true. i just feed a lot of food and i'd hate for the uneaten food (due to lack of light) to just stay on the tank bottom and rot away. i guess i'm just being too paranoid. i think i'm going to buy some more corydoras to scavenge the bottom for uneaten food. i just hate the idea of prepping and setting up a tank just for a few corydoras. i do need about 50 rummies as well so i might just bite the bullet. we'll see. i do eventually want a fully planted tank though, "remember where they come from" Bryan, lol.

rickztahone
07-25-2009, 04:52 PM
so i got my plants and i really don't know which are which. can you please help me identify? the first 2 pictures i'm certain of but the rest not so much. please refer to the list in post #1 to help identify. i'm not sure which is the rosette sword.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/P7251381.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/P7251382.jpg
both of these are my java fern and i tied them with some rubber bands

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/P7251380.jpg
this is the pot on the left and i believe it to be the wendtii green or the rosette sword?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/P7251379.jpg
this i took to be the amazon sword? (this is the middle pot)
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/P7251376.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/P7251377.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/P7251378.jpg
these last 3 pictures are of the pot to the right and it is what i presume to be the anubias? i bought only one and that is the Anubias Afzelii yet i have two plants in there which i'm not sure which is which. the last shot is what i presume to be the rhizome? if so, then that is the anubia? then what is the one right next to it? this one did not have any roots what-so-ever and i wasn't sure how to plant it. :confused:

please let me know if i'm safe assuming what i'm assuming so far. also, what is throwing me off is that i only ordered a total of 6 and i ended up getting 8. the two ferns i'm positive about and the other 6 i'm not too sure. i just really want to know which is the anubia so that i do not bury it all the way. i put one pellet under the eco complete under every plant

rickztahone
07-25-2009, 04:55 PM
also, the one on the right doesn't look in great shape to be honest, not sure what to do with it. the ferns have a blackish tint to them as well. lastly, please excuse the mess, it was feeding time and that is why the floor is littered with flakes

bs6749
07-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Your assumptions on the plants look good to me. I'm guessing that you only ordered 1 anubias, but you were sent 2. They probably gave you an extra because the one had bad roots like you said. They both look the same and both look like an anubias to me. I'd pull them more out of the Eco Complete. I'd tie them to wood as well or gently lay them on the Eco in the pots. You might need to use lead weights to hold them down.

Disgirl
07-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Hi Ricardo! I have been successfully growing plants in clay pots in my angel tank for many years. Have a little tip for you. I have found that if you have your gravel/substrate almost to the top of the pots then uneaten food, fish waste (aka poo:D) and dead leaves will sit where you can see them to remove or they will even roll off onto the glass bottom to really easily see them for removal. With all the space in your pots there is lots of room for nasty stuff to accumulate. Your plants look good already and I agree with your names for them. I have most of them except that anubias. Mine are Nana. Good luck and enjoy your planted tank.
Barb :)

bs6749
07-26-2009, 12:05 AM
Ricardo, I say you sould leave the level where it is. The plecos I just sent you will end up kicking the substrate all over the bottom of the tank if it is too high (trust me on that one LOL). You will constantly be gravel vacuuming the stuff up and putting it back into the pot. As for the poop and uneaten food falling into the pot, that's GREAT! The plants will take the nitrates and turn it into leaves! Plus you won't have to see it because the stuff will be somewhat hidden.

Disgirl
07-26-2009, 05:56 AM
Just lots of different ways of doing things, right? Growing live plants in a discus tank is a whole different ball game. Cleanliness is of utmost importance. That is why so many planted discus tanks use plain white sand, so the poo can be seen and vacuumed up easily. Nobody wants the stuff to accumulate in the sand to fertilize the plants. Fert. can be added to the water or tabs can be put down into the substrate. Yes, the stuff that can gather in the gravel is indeed good for the plants. But this is a discus tank and things need to be done with all thoughts for the health of the discus. Just my way of thinking on this...
hth, Barb

bs6749
07-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Sure there are lots of ways of doing things and I'm not saying that yours is wrong and mine is right. Just saying that I know my plecos and they love to hang out in the pots and will kick the stuff all over the place.

I don't think the main reason that light sand is used in a planted tank is so that you can see the poop and remove it. That's what filters are for and weekly gravel vacs. The main reason is more likely because a dark substrate will cause discus to darken and not show their more vibrant colors. That's why you see a light substrate even in a nonplanted tank.

rickztahone
07-30-2009, 02:02 AM
so some of the plants aren't doing that well. the one on the left i suspected my ghost fishing eating it up and i have since removed 3 out of 4 (couldn't catch that last one, lol) the sword in the middle pot has some browning on one of the tips which i circled in red. this is by far my favorite and i might order some more. they are both different though and i'm not sure what the other is. i believe it might be the other sword but it has a different texture to it. and the one on the right came in in pretty bad shape. it doesn't look much different but i'm thinking it might be too late to save it? :confused:. i don't know much about plants so if they die then they die. like i've said before the discus are by far the priority. i had cut back on the lights for the plants but i can't cut them back more than i already do. currently i have the lights on from 1pm-10pm. also, i only have 2 of my lights on since the other 2 are off due to the excess heat. the other fixture has to be lifted to let some of the heat out. would that affect the plants? so it is only 2x65w 6700k's. any help is much appreciated
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/P7291438.jpg
Left
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/P7291440.jpg
Left
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/P7291441.jpg
Middle
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/P7291442.jpg
Right

Yassmeena
08-02-2009, 02:29 AM

Hi Bryan,

I just saw this - I remember you told me about your project! Sounds like you have your hands full - very exciting!!!! Thanks for the invitation - would love to come by when it's all set up. :)

So about cutting the horns - I noticed they make my discus very uncomfortable because they may rub up against them as they swim near the glass where the snails are...

Yasmin

rickztahone
08-13-2009, 02:49 AM
i got a few more swords a couple days ago. it was probably not the best idea though, because it gets into the high 80's during the day no matter what i do and it seems to be affecting them. also, i'm not able to turn on my 4 lights due to the heat which might be hindering them as well. i've only noticed a couple kind of turn a little brownish but i'll see what happens in a few days. one amazon is thriving though. here's the updated list:
3x Grandifolis Sword
2x Tropica Sword
2x Melon Sword
4x Amazon Sword
1x Green Wendtii
1x Afzelli Anubia
2x Java Fern
1x Rosette Sword

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/P8101450.jpg
sorry this one was blurry
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/P8101451.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/P8101452.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/P8101460.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/P8101462.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/P8101463.jpg
This is my solitary balloon ram. he is not the most desirable looking fish but i love this little fish, he/she has so much personality.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/P8101466.jpg
here's another shot

PamC
04-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Yes I know this is an older thread, however I am experimenting with a potted plant and it does not seem to be going well.

Can you comment on what worked for low tech potted plantings?

rickztahone
04-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Yes I know this is an older thread, however I am experimenting with a potted plant and it does not seem to be going well.

i used tall pots because i had swords. i also used root tabs in every pot. my lighting is not the greatest and they thrived in it @ 2wpg

Wahter
04-02-2010, 11:53 AM

What plant are you trying to keep? Some plants do not do so well in low tech environments.

Walter

PamC
04-05-2010, 01:06 PM
I am experimenting with an amazon sword (sp?) potted in a terracotta pot with some aquarium gravel and a flourish tab about an inch under the roots, pretty low tech. I would like to have a few potted swords in a discus tank with out changing the water conditions any further, so I am experimenting in an occupied SA tank.

It was a beautiful plant when purchased, even green, flat round leaves, etc. Not so much any more, the sword was most likely grown emersed from what I have learned. You can see white veins on a few leaves, lots of ruffling and twisting, some browning on tips and body of the leaves.
I have taken to not using the canopy light (turned on for the photo) as the even the java moss had turned a dark green. The tank gets indirect light from a window most of the day gives the tank a bit of the shaded look and then receives direct light in the late afternoon as the window faces south west. The water is RODI reconstituted with Seachem's Equilibrium, Acid and Alkaline buffers to a dgh of 3-4, plus trace minerals for the fish, ph is 7 and temp is 79 degrees, which goes up a bit in the evening with the direct sunlight.

However patience is what I am working with right now, looks like there might be new growth, just not sure how healthy the new growth looks. Any suggestions for low tech or insights on what maybe causing the disfiguring of the plant would be appreciated.

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/PamC_01/Plants/th_100_0530.jpg (http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/PamC_01/Plants/100_0530.jpg)

rickztahone
04-05-2010, 08:31 PM
I am experimenting with an amazon sword (sp?) potted in a terracotta pot with some aquarium gravel and a flourish tab about an inch under the roots, pretty low tech. I would like to have a few potted swords in a discus tank with out changing the water conditions any further, so I am experimenting in an occupied SA tank.

It was a beautiful plant when purchased, even green, flat round leaves, etc. Not so much any more, the sword was most likely grown emersed from what I have learned. You can see white veins on a few leaves, lots of ruffling and twisting, some browning on tips and body of the leaves.
I have taken to not using the canopy light (turned on for the photo) as the even the java moss had turned a dark green. The tank gets indirect light from a window most of the day gives the tank a bit of the shaded look and then receives direct light in the late afternoon as the window faces south west. The water is RODI reconstituted with Seachem's Equilibrium, Acid and Alkaline buffers to a dgh of 3-4, plus trace minerals for the fish, ph is 7 and temp is 79 degrees, which goes up a bit in the evening with the direct sunlight.

However patience is what I am working with right now, looks like there might be new growth, just not sure how healthy the new growth looks. Any suggestions for low tech or insights on what maybe causing the disfiguring of the plant would be appreciated.

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/PamC_01/Plants/th_100_0530.jpg (http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/PamC_01/Plants/100_0530.jpg)

the only thing i was advised when i was doing root tabs in the pots was to burry it deep, at least 3 inches. your goal is to have the root system of the plant reach towards the root tab. this is done better when the substrate is on the tank floor because you can place the root tabs away from the plants rather than buried deep away from the plants.

waters10
04-05-2010, 08:33 PM

Not sure it's the same thing, but I noticed on my sword (smaller than amazon), the older leaves melted and new leaves took their place. Mine is in a pot as well, with medium/high light, root tab and I dose ferts every day. But I still think it's common behavior for swords.

Wahter
04-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Pam, how much lighting do you have?

Walter

PamC
04-05-2010, 11:38 PM
doing root tabs in the pots was to burry it deep, at least 3 inches. your goal is to have the root system of the plant reach towards the root tab.
That makes sense, I will redo the pot with your suggestion in mind.

on my sword (smaller than amazon), the older leaves melted and new leaves took their place.
I am wondering if this is true when an emersed plant becomes submersed. All the older leaves that had developed when above the water level die off and newer submersed leaves develop. Are the leaves that developed once the plant was placed in your tank still melting?

Pam, how much lighting do you have?
Very hard to say accurately. There is a 15 watt T8 bulb, the tank is 20 inches deep, however the tank does get strong indirect light most of the day then direct sunlight in the late afternoon to evening. Algae had created a fuzzy outline on the leaves and was starting to take hold, that was when I started to reduce the use of the T8, it is on for about 5 hours a day, turned on shortly after noon and off around 6.

Wahter
04-05-2010, 11:44 PM
I am wondering if this is true when an emersed plant becomes submersed. All the older leaves that had developed when above the water level die off and newer submersed leaves develop. Are the leaves that developed once the plant was placed in your tank still melting?

That's true, many of the emersed growth will often die off as the submersed leaves grow out.

Very hard to say accurately. There is a 15 watt T8 bulb, the tank is 20 inches deep, however the tank does get strong indirect light most of the day then direct sunlight in the late afternoon to evening. Algae had created a fuzzy outline on the leaves and was starting to take hold, that was when I started to reduce the use of the T8, it is on for about 5 hours a day, turned on shortly after noon and off around 6.

I don't think a 15 watt normal fluorescent light is going to give you enough light. Keep in mind that sometimes algae grows because the plants aren't outcompeting it for nutrients. On the other hand, if you have direct sunlight, that is too much light.

waters10
04-06-2010, 12:05 AM
I am wondering if this is true when an emersed plant becomes submersed. All the older leaves that had developed when above the water level die off and newer submersed leaves develop. Are the leaves that developed once the plant was placed in your tank still melting? ]
In my case, the leaves that started to take place of the old ones didn't melt. Basically, the old long leaves all melted, while new ones start to grow in the middle, pretty fast! I was surprised at how fast these new leaves started to show up after acclimation period. Oh my plant was not grown submersed.