PDA

View Full Version : aquarium blue led lights and discus

mollie79
07-21-2009, 04:54 AM
hi does any one know much about these aquarium led lights that are currently been sold on EBAY ive a tropical light in my discus tank and im looking to putting a moon light or some form of a night light in as my hubby wants some thing a bit lower some thing that isnt as bright as the tropical one personally ive not got a problem with the lighting system ive currently got just my hubby sulking TYPICAL MAN :)

rickztahone
07-21-2009, 01:13 PM
hi does any one know much about these aquarium led lights that are currently been sold on EBAY ive a tropical light in my discus tank and im looking to putting a moon light or some form of a night light in as my hubby wants some thing a bit lower some thing that isnt as bright as the tropical one personally ive not got a problem with the lighting system ive currently got just my hubby sulking TYPICAL MAN :)

i have moonlights on my 125 and i love it. it turns on at 10pm and turns off at around 4am or something. i like to give them some time with just total darkness. i got mine off ebay as well. easy to install

Scribbles
07-21-2009, 01:37 PM
I have the blue led lunar lights and the fish look very cool at night with them on.

Chris

Consigliere
07-21-2009, 05:10 PM
I bought a string of blue LED chrimstas lights off EBAY for $10. I think there are 200 bulbs or something. I'm planning on using them for an upcoming build but not sure how much light they will actually impart into the tank. It is a cheap option if you are going to experiment a bit.

poconogal
07-22-2009, 11:42 AM
I bought my moonlights off Ebay about 2-1/2 years ago. Mine have a rheostat to adjust the brightness. (If I'd have bought the software that went with them, I could have had a computer adjusted moonlights to match the actual different phases of the moon). Anyway, I love them and how they make the tank look at night.

Darrell Ward
07-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Speaking of LED lights, I was thinking of getting some of those clear strip or panel LED lights you see on Ebay to experiment with as tank lights. The building where I'm putting my new fish room has no windows, and is totally dark with the lights out and door shut. Instead of leaving the room lights on most of the time, I was thinking maybe I could use these LED's on timers as low cost, efficient, tank lights.

airbus123
07-23-2009, 01:33 AM
anyone could share some pictures of the lights?

thanks!

rickztahone
07-23-2009, 01:42 AM
anyone could share some pictures of the lights?

thanks!

here's a "not-so-great" video of mine from a while back. keep in mind this is set to the lowest setting possible since i believe the highest setting is way too bright
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=69692

rickztahone
07-23-2009, 02:04 AM
aha, also found a pictures with the led's on bright mode
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/DSC03210.jpg

Darrell Ward
07-23-2009, 11:45 PM

Tell him to get over it, or sleep on the sofa! :D

Dutch dude
07-26-2009, 06:04 AM
Maybe good for you guy's to know but Philips produces a LED tube light. It can be used in normal tube light fittings (but remove the capacitor for ignition!!). Those lights produce abouth 80% of a normal tube light (without mirror) and consume abouth 60% of a normal tube light. They come in 3 diferent colors (warm white, cool white and bright white).

http://www.ledtronics.com/products/ProductsDetails.aspx?WP=C0K768

I use LED replacement lamps for halogen lamps (12V) on a 12V DC adapter that can be adjusted to lower voltages so I can control the output. I only use this as moonlight.