PDA

View Full Version : Interested in breeding

wadewc
07-22-2009, 09:07 PM
I am interesting in breeding my discus. I have two snow whites that are about six inches long. [They are in a community tank.] I gave the length because I am not sure how old they are. I received them from Kenny last month. I have been reading books and some talk about PH and water hardness parameters that are needed to breed discus and some mention not to worry about these points. So I am getting confused. I was wondering if I put them in a tank together would they eventually breed or do I need to stimulate the breeding ceremony some how. There is currently no loving going on.

Thanks,
Wade

Chad Adams
07-23-2009, 12:17 AM
I am interesting in breeding my discus. I have two snow whites that are about six inches long. [They are in a community tank.] I gave the length because I am not sure how old they are. I received them from Kenny last month. I have been reading books and some talk about PH and water hardness parameters that are needed to breed discus and some mention not to worry about these points. So I am getting confused. I was wondering if I put them in a tank together would they eventually breed or do I need to stimulate the breeding ceremony some how. There is currently no loving going on.

Thanks,
Wade

Hey Wade,
Great questions. I would wait to see if anything happens. Keep them well
fed w/high quality food(see Food & Nutrition section) & keep Water Quality
Excellent(See Water section). You already have High Quality discus which
is another must. I do not mess with Ph or Hardness. I have 2 quality
breeding pairs. Hope this helps, If not keep asking. All my suggestiions
are only MY opinion.
Chad

rickztahone
07-23-2009, 12:24 AM
let us know the water parameters first. most only use RO water to breed since most can't really get successful breeding going on in regular tap water

mmorris
07-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Are you quite sure you have a male and a female? I don't need RO because the tds of my tap is low enough. You should know your ph just for general discus keeping but discus can breed in a wide range of ph's. Can you get a tds meter? If not, just wait for them to pair up but since they are in a community tank, who knows who they will pair up with? Cross that bridge when you come to it, I suppose. If the eggs don't hatch, you'll want to check the tds then. Tell us about your community tank.

Peachtree Discus
07-23-2009, 11:45 AM
....and some mention not to worry about these points. So I am getting confused. I was wondering if I put them in a tank together would they eventually breed or do I need to stimulate the breeding ceremony some how. There is currently no loving going on.

like Chad said, some of us are lucky enuf that we don't have to bother the ph/tds. but it really depends on the water where you are in OK. there are things you can do that seem to trigger a pair to lay, but i dont' think there's much you can do to trigger two discus to pair. as Martha pointed, you need to make sure they are a male and female. even with confirmed pair, you can try to get them to lay, but they will lay when they want.

wadewc
07-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Hey Wade,
Great questions. I would wait to see if anything happens. Keep them well
fed w/high quality food(see Food & Nutrition section) & keep Water Quality
Excellent(See Water section). You already have High Quality discus which
is another must. I do not mess with Ph or Hardness. I have 2 quality
breeding pairs. Hope this helps, If not keep asking. All my suggestiions
are only MY opinion.
Chad

I agree the discus i recieved from Kenny is High Quality My opinion. I feed them six times a day with different foods. I monitor my water regularly and clean my tanks daily. I appreciate the help.

Wade

wadewc
07-24-2009, 01:27 PM
let us know the water parameters first. most only use RO water to breed since most can't really get successful breeding going on in regular tap water

Hi Rick,
My PH runs 7.2 and my hardness runs 120ppm. I will need to research RO water more before i go down that road. I just don't know enough about it.

Thanks
Wade

wadewc
07-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Are you quite sure you have a male and a female? I don't need RO because the tds of my tap is low enough. You should know your ph just for general discus keeping but discus can breed in a wide range of ph's. Can you get a tds meter? If not, just wait for them to pair up but since they are in a community tank, who knows who they will pair up with? Cross that bridge when you come to it, I suppose. If the eggs don't hatch, you'll want to check the tds then. Tell us about your community tank.

Yes I am sure i have a male and female Kenny picked them out for me. I am currently using the dip stick method used to test my water. [7.2 PH and 120ppm.] I will have to get a tds meter to be more accurrate reading. These whites are very nice. I would hope i could persue them to get together then them getting loving with another color. My community tank is a 75 gallon show tank. I currently have 7 discus in the tank. 2-whites, 1- blue diamond, 1- yellow christall, 1- white butterfly throwback and 2- 3rs. This is a bare bottom tank. I have three sponge's and one HOB filter on this tank.

Thanks,
Wade

wadewc
07-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Hi,
Martha, Wes, Rickardo and Chad. I really appreciate all the help and advise. I really like my whites and would like to have some offsprings. I was hoping i could put them in the same tank and they would get together. I will wait until i see some loving going on before i do anything.

Thanks again,
Wade

mmorris
07-27-2009, 06:54 PM
It would be nice to see pics. :)

wadewc
07-27-2009, 08:44 PM
I will post pics Wednesday of my fish.

Wade

wadewc
07-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Here is the pics of the discus i was asking about.

Thanks
Wade

mmorris
07-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Very nice! :)

wadewc
07-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Thanks Martha.

Wade

wadewc
08-27-2009, 10:21 PM
I got a call from my wife saying she was watching the female laying the eggs and the male did his thing :D but unfortunatly I had my HOB going and it sucked up the eggs. :(I know they are going to lay again and this time i will have the HOB turned off and just my spong going. I was wondering about how long would it be before they will lay more eggs. I was thinking i need to hurry and get a cone or something.

jaykne
08-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Do you have them in thier own tank? I would not worry about a cone, slate or flower pot will work just as good. I have 2 pairs one will spawn once a week the other every 4 to 5 days. Good luck and just so you know it may take a while for them to get it right, I have just got mine to the wiggler stage. Larry

wadewc
08-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Do you have them in thier own tank? I would not worry about a cone, slate or flower pot will work just as good. I have 2 pairs one will spawn once a week the other every 4 to 5 days. Good luck and just so you know it may take a while for them to get it right, I have just got mine to the wiggler stage. Larry

Hi Larry,

Yes, they are in thier own tank. Great, it is prety exciting that they are at least trying to get it right. I will get something in the tank for them.

Wade

wadewc
08-28-2009, 07:54 AM
After cleaning my tanks last night I was watching the fish thinking what the White Cross fry would look like and I noticed in my community tank my Yellow Chrystal and One of my Blue diamonds was doing alot of loving and started cleaning the intake tube on the HOB. I hurryed and unpluged the unit and started another tank. It won't be ready until the temperature is stable though. I think love is in the air. I feel like the nurses looked when i had my first child over 30 years ago. Putting on the mask and gloves and checking the rooms to see who was going to give birth first. LOL I am also thinking I need more tanks and start doing alot of reading.

Wade