PDA

View Full Version : help with how many discus

partycub23
07-22-2009, 11:22 PM
hello everyone so im new to the discus hobby i've been interested in them for quite a while, so after alot of research i've decided that i really want to get some discus. I have quite a bit of experience with fish, i've mostly kept fancy goldfish indoors and out, but now im venturing onto the tropical side. The tank that im planning on housing the discus is a 55g with a 30g sump in wich total volume is around 65 to 70g. The system has been running for four months fully cycled, in there i have 15 cardinals 5 cories and 2 german blue rams. My question is how many discus can i house in here? Im soon starting a 30g planted aquarium that i might be moving the rams to, so either w/ or without the rams i wanted at least two, preferrably four, but i think that would really be pushing it, i need ur advice.

hasitha
07-22-2009, 11:36 PM
You are gonna buy juvies or adult discus ? 6 is the best number for Juvies I think. Agression will be spread out so it would be better. I don't know 55g tank is enough for discus with those other fish you have. Also bare bottom tanks are lot better for growth and cleaning process than planted tanks.

partycub23
07-22-2009, 11:42 PM
i was planning on getting juvies and growing them out in a separate tank, so howmany fish would i have to move out to at least have a couple of discus in my tank

Eddie
07-23-2009, 12:51 AM
Personally, I would go with 5-6 adults. If you are gonna grow some juvies out as your first experience with discus, get them at 3 inches or bigger. I would just get adults anyways, it will be a better first experience and then try to grow some juvenile fish out. Juvenile discus are not forgiving IMO.

Eddie

jaykne
07-23-2009, 01:41 AM
I agree with Eddie if you want to grow out discus its allot of work, feeding several times a day, large water changes all the time, and it doesn't take much to stunt a discus. I feed between 8-10 times a day and do 80% water changes every day of the week, in bare bottom tanks nothing but filters and heaters in them. Adult discus are going to cost allot more, but you can put 6 in that 55 and probably get away with one large water change a week.

rickztahone
07-23-2009, 01:51 AM
I agree with Eddie if you want to grow out discus its allot of work, feeding several times a day, large water changes all the time, and it doesn't take much to stunt a discus. I feed between 8-10 times a day and do 80% water changes every day of the week, in bare bottom tanks nothing but filters and heaters in them. Adult discus are going to cost allot more, but you can put 6 in that 55 and probably get away with one large water change a week.

fully grown discus can produce a lot of waste in my opinion but then again the OP would probably not have to feed as much since they would be adults. 55 just seems like such a small tank for 6 adults though. keep in mind that the OP said there are other fish in there as well

bs6749
07-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Personally, I would go with 5-6 adults. If you are gonna grow some juvies out as your first experience with discus, get them at 3 inches or bigger. I would just get adults anyways, it will be a better first experience and then try to grow some juvenile fish out. Juvenile discus are not forgiving IMO.

Eddie

Well said.

partycub23
07-23-2009, 10:33 AM
So if I go with adults how many should I get n I am willing to transfer some of this fish into another aquarium I do want to keep some of the cardinals in there tho will two be a bad number since I know they like to be in groups

rickztahone
07-23-2009, 10:47 AM
So if I go with adults how many should I get n I am willing to transfer some of this fish into another aquarium I do want to keep some of the cardinals in there tho will two be a bad number since I know they like to be in groups

if it's a confirmed pair then you are good with just 2

bs6749
07-23-2009, 11:23 AM
You will want 5-6 adults. A mated pair will work like Ricardo said. I'd do 5 adults and you should be able to keep all of the fish that you have in there with them.

partycub23
07-23-2009, 07:53 PM
ok so 5 adults will be ok

Eddie
07-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Yeah but you may as well get six because the 5 adult discus are gonna eat your tetras. You will have room for another adult once the tetras are gone. :o

Take care,

Eddie

bs6749
07-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Eddie, mine were fine with neon tetras (at least the second batch I put in they didn't think was food). Cardinal tetras are slighlty larger and discus would probably avoid them. Either way, 5-6 adults should be fine.

Eddie
07-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Eddie, mine were fine with neon tetras (at least the second batch I put in they didn't think was food). Cardinal tetras are slighlty larger and discus would probably avoid them. Either way, 5-6 adults should be fine.

I was just teasing....no worries fellas. :D

Best of luck!

Eddie

Armandi_Fishcarer
07-24-2009, 06:59 PM
With setup you got, which the sump will be a very big aid in, I would go with 6. If you are planning to grow them out, I wouldn't get anything smaller then a 3-3.5inch as the harder work is already done for you. :D

Regards
Ahmed ;)

partycub23
07-25-2009, 12:10 AM
everytone thanks for all ur advice it has really helped