PDA

View Full Version : Tanks of all sizes wanted!

bs6749
07-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Hey guy and gals, I need your help. Many eyes are better than one set and you may see something that I don't. I am looking to get some used or new tanks for my "fishroom" project. I prefer these to be undrilled but will think about taking drilled tanks. The tanks don't have to be spotless or "show quality", just nice enough that you can tell that the fish is a blue diamond and not a cobalt, know what I mean? I am interested in 29g, 40 breeders, 55g, 75g, 125g tanks with or without glass tops. I don't need heaters, filters, lights or stands, just tanks. These seem to be the best tanks for the stands I will have. I am located in the Kalamazoo, MI area and prefer that the tanks be within a 3 hour drive from Kalamazoo. This includes the Detroit area, and as far west as West Chicago. I probably won't find much north and south of here, but if you guys see something please let me know. Thank you for your help! It is greatly appreciated.

-Bryan

Peachtree Discus
07-23-2009, 12:57 PM
check out craigslist in your area(s). be ready to attack... great deals go fast. free tanks go almost immediately. a quick search turned up:

$40: 38gal
http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/for/1283113839.html

$50: 40gal
http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/for/1272854627.html

bs6749
07-23-2009, 07:53 PM
I've been checking Craigslist. I don't intend to sound rude, because I do appreciate the help, but neither of those tanks are what I'm looking for. That's a bit much for a 38g tank and the 40g tank isn't a breeder tank. I've seen a couple of larger tanks that need silicone going for $75 and $150. That was for a 150g and 135g respectively believe it or not. They weren't scratched up much either...I've yet to hear back from the sellers of either tank.

I can get 29g tanks for $30 each brand new, so that 38g really isn't that great of a deal. I know that there are good deals out there but I don't always have a chance to look for them, that's why I was wanting more eyes LOL. A good deal was the one that I jumped on when I saw it but the tanks were already gone. The guy was selling a 125g for $100, a 75g for $60, a 40B for $30, and had five 29g tanks for $100. About $290 for 385g worth of tanks...now THAT is a deal. He did call me back however saying that he'd sell me two 6ft long 100g tanks for $70 each after he reseals them. Of course I jumped on that LOL.

Still looking for 55's and 75's and maybe a 40B or two. I think I'll just get a few new 29g tanks to compliment my additions.

Discus-Hans
07-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Bryan, I've some 55's acrylic, drilled with divider, blue back, Pets mart type tanks.

6 ~ 8 not sure, it's a little drive but you can have them cheap,

Hans

bs6749
07-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Bryan, I've some 55's acrylic, drilled with divider, blue back, Pets mart type tanks.

6 ~ 8 not sure, it's a little drive but you can have them cheap,

Hans

Thanks for the generous offer Hans! I really wish I could make the trip out to your place just to see your beautiful facility and gorgeous fish, but I'm kinda pressed for time this summer. I'm sure I would learn a thing or two about how a fishroom should look. I'd definitely like to visit you someday. Maybe this fall or more likely next Summer. Maybe even do a Spring Break trip and film a video parody and call it "Gills Gone Wild"! :D

That would be kinda neat to have some tanks in my fishroom that belonged to The Great Hans though.....maybe you should save one or two of them for me for when I do visit :) I'm sure they'd bring me great luck.

DiscusOnly
07-24-2009, 03:32 PM
55, 75 and 90 gal resale value are insane. As you get bigger, the cheaper they become. If you are looking at those tank size, I would stick with new unless they are really expensive where you live.

Hans is offering you a good deal, take the drive :)
Just make sure he signed all the tanks first.

bs6749
07-24-2009, 04:59 PM
55, 75 and 90 gal resale value are insane. As you get bigger, the cheaper they become. If you are looking at those tank size, I would stick with new unless they are really expensive where you live.

Hans is offering you a good deal, take the drive :)
Just make sure he signed all the tanks first.

To me a 90g tank is about useless except for a show tank with tall plants and driftwood, etc. 55's and 75's would be nice to compliment the two ft 100g tanks that I'll be getting along with a 135g that I found for $100, which needs resealing. Those 55's that Hans has do sell nice. I sent him a PM to see if he could bring them to Cincinnati for the ACA next week. It'd be half the drive for me and would only cost ~$100 in gas. I think I may have more than enough tanks for right now though with the two 100's and 135. I still plan on 20L's as PetSmart has them on sale until early September I think.

Chad Hughes
07-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Any good non-chain aquaculture shop should be able to offer you a $1 per gallon deal on tanks up to 60 gallons. Here in San Diego there are two sources that offer this. I frequently buy 29 and 60 gallon tanks for $29 and $60 respectively. Naturally, if you want the tanks drilled it's a bit more. I buy the glass lids for $8 and $12 respectively as well. I'm sure if you asked around, someone is selling visio brand glass tanks for this price. Maybe you just have to ask?

Best wishes!

bs6749
07-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Hey Chad, never heard of that brand. Maybe they are a regional thing. I don't know how you are able to get glass lids that cheap, it sure must be nice LOL. No need for drilled tanks for me. I'll be doing all my water changes with a python for now. Most likely 25% water changes on the tanks 5 times a week and more on the ones that really need them (fry tanks, etc). I think I may have enough tanks for now with the two 100's and two 135's. Actually, the two 135's might be overkill so I may not get them. I don't want to create too much work for myself since I will be starting school back up in 4-5 weeks and with that and work I think it would be best to start small and expand. Hoping to get a bunch of angel and/or discus fry and grow them out.

Chad Hughes
07-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey Chad, never heard of that brand. Maybe they are a regional thing. I don't know how you are able to get glass lids that cheap, it sure must be nice LOL. No need for drilled tanks for me. I'll be doing all my water changes with a python for now. Most likely 25% water changes on the tanks 5 times a week and more on the ones that really need them (fry tanks, etc). I think I may have enough tanks for now with the two 100's and two 135's. Actually, the two 135's might be overkill so I may not get them. I don't want to create too much work for myself since I will be starting school back up in 4-5 weeks and with that and work I think it would be best to start small and expand. Hoping to get a bunch of angel and/or discus fry and grow them out.

Yeah, the visio tanks are the ones that I have found the deals on. Not sure where they come from. Same with the lids! I gues I am fortunate.

As for all those tanks and water changes, you may want to consider a central system or two. With school work and tank maintenance, you want to get as automated or simplified as possible. Just my $.02!

Best wishes!

bs6749
07-27-2009, 09:00 PM
To keep it simplified, I planned on putting a utility tub into the "fishroom". Then I'd be able to use a 25' python to change the water in each tank. Seems like it would be a pretty easy thing as I wouldn't have to spend tons of money and it would be very easy to operate. All I may need in addition to that is a $25 pump to pump water to the utility tub since the tanks would be lower than the tub. I'd drain the dirty tank water into a Rubbermaid tub and pump that to the utility tub. If I had the money I would definitely consider an automated system but even some of the "finishing" things that I wanted done like painting are going to have to wait for now. I just need tanks that are functional right now.

DiscusOnly
07-27-2009, 11:25 PM
To be honest with you, I think I would focus more on getting the room in shape first (painting) then getting the tanks up unless you had fish with no where to go for now. Not sure if you are painting blocks or actual wall, but you can probably find cheap opened/return paint from HD or Lowes. I would get those done first. Next, get a utility tub, don't have to be brand new. I got mine on CL.

I made a mistake of rushing to put mine room together and some of the easy stuff never got done because it's so much more work to do it now.

bs6749
07-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Hey Van, I was thinking about skipping the painting and had planned to leave room to paint around later. I could paint certain areas like around where I wanted the sink to go and then finish later so I don't half paint the sink LOL. I'm thinking I might not even do a sink right now since I am going to have to drill through about 2 feet of old stone foundation and new cinder block to run the drain. That is unless I decide to plump to an existing drain pipe, in which case I would need to buy a larger pump ($$$) and I want a sink in that room someday anyway. I may just make the sink a "winter project" since there is already a utility tub right next to the sump pump in the laundry room where I was going to drain the water. Instead of a 25' python I will just need a 50' python and a new faucet/fitting to have an adapter to fit the python. I need to have the python to avoid the 5 gallon buckets as much as I can.

mightymax860
08-25-2009, 10:11 PM
i usualy take the wife and kids tag saleing i've come across 6 100w heaters a 20gl tall with hood light for a thirty and an air compresor for 10 bucks plus you get the thrill of the hunt factor and sometimes lfs have used sections just a thought good hunting

Discus-Hans
08-25-2009, 10:52 PM
i usualy take the wife and kids tag saleing i've come across 6 100w heaters a 20gl tall with hood light for a thirty and an air compresor for 10 bucks plus you get the thrill of the hunt factor and sometimes lfs have used sections just a thought good hunting

The thrill of the hunt factor wouldn't win for me from the SCARE factor.

There are very less things I would use second hand, I say very less but I can't even think of anything at the moment,

Hans

subcooler
08-26-2009, 06:57 AM

There are very less things I would use second hand, I say very less but I can't even think of anything at the moment,

Hans

Used heaters:confused:

I agree Hans-new heaters only-and theres still a chance for control problems with new.
The thought of boiled fish is not too appealing!

Peace,
Rob

mightymax860
08-26-2009, 08:47 AM

Hans

Think back a little because i rather know what's second hand then find out later it was. resourcefulness can help acheive your goals there should never be limitations or comformadies that risk factor should be taken just like fish only the strong and adaptable survive with a family of four resoursfulness is a must no excusses why you can't enjoy a hobby and as long as you test each heater and clean each tank you can acomplish your goals in a fish room last time i checked even one sick discus can wipe out your tank. So in the game of life you either fly and burn then sit and burn. with all due respect mr.hans but some budgets are higher than others and the lfs are not excactly hobby freindly in the pocket.