PDA

View Full Version : Officially Back

ashaysathe
07-23-2009, 04:44 PM
After turning the world upside down - pack - move - unpack and settle plus family visiting from India taking them around DC, NYC, Niagara Falls AND mind you working .. I have finally found time to officially be back in the hobby - after a break of 6 months - although I was on the forum I did not have fish. Breaking the By-Laws ;)

As I like to say it "Blow the horn of Gondor" .

While I set the tank up after work this week, I was wondering where am I going with the hobby. In march'09 my plan was to setup some grow out tanks and make it a fish room. But I went in the direction of setting up my 75g (thanks Mark BasTalker turned GrillMaster for convincing me to keep the 75g for just incase) for non-discus fish I like and 126g for the discus.

my 75g is setup with fish I absolutely like - Geophagus Altifrons, Geophagus Red Head Tapajos both from Rio Tapajos and a nice super black angel - seems familiar but this is an Angelfish - my first love with fish.

My 75g South American with Geos

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/ashaysathe/PIC-0110.jpg

I coincidentally found very very nice Red Head Tapajos from Uncle Ned's Fish Factory up in MA - Hopkinton area :

http://unclenedsfishfactory.com/

I delt with Dan from Uncle Neds and his experience, knowledge and help was outstanding. I will take good pictures if the ever try to stop moving.

and Altifrons from Jeff Rapps: http://www.tangledupincichlids.com/

Dealing with Jeff Rapps was amazingly peaceful he sent me some mind blowing Altifrons and amazing price. Now after dealing with discus "price" kind of becomes a very unobjective matter but nonetheless, quality of fish that Jeff sent was outstanding, he was always there to advice over the phone and mentioned what not to do which is more important in the hobby to be set for a long run.

Geo Altifrons - Rio Tapajos

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/ashaysathe/PIC-0111.jpg

Another look

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/ashaysathe/PIC-0113.jpg

And now for the 125g - this will hold about 12-14 of my discus. Where were these fish? My friend, hobbyist and also a sponsor on the forum - Mike Deegan - Black Water Aquaria - is taking care of them. I am speechless, spell bound and will always be thankful for this. This is the best thing this hobby has given me - amazing friends ready to go out of the way for friends. All Mike said always was "Whenever I am ready the fish will be here". Hats Off to you my friend.

I decided to go sand substrate with driftwoods and keep my blues for sure and few of my collection. Currently its empty so bare with me for a few days.

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/ashaysathe/PIC-0112.jpg

I can't wait to see my friends again at Mark's house on Saturday for our NEDA get together, Its a meeting I always look forward to.

Will update in the next few days.. Stay Tuned..

I have so much to catch up - Kenny's shipments - I dont know even Kenny himself can catch up with it, any piece of advice from Master "Yoda" Al, Eddie seafood reciepe for Geos, what friend Angel - DiscusNYC is doing and what else.. man I have a lot to work on. Enjoying and good to be back !!!!

Oh BTW I am making the same excuse - these are the photos from my phone camera which is better than my Nikon Coolpix as technically up-to-date as I am .. I like my SamSung BlackJack phone camera

Moon
07-23-2009, 05:03 PM
It's good to see you "officially" back in the hobby.
I too am very fond of Geos. I have 10 G Altifrons in a 100g tank with some clown loaches.
I got mine from a local hobbiest. They were only about an inch when I got them. Now they are about 8" and growing.
When feeding these guys I get splashed every time. They get so exited that splashing gets my shirt wet.
Joe

rickztahone
07-23-2009, 05:38 PM
welcome back Ashay!

Organic Farmer
07-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Everything looks great,welcome back,get some rest and we ll see ya this weekend. Take care Tom

Eddie
07-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Big WELCOME back Ashay! Great to hear that you are excited about being back and it's great seeing how you've already got things in motion. Can't wait to see some discus tank shots.......even if they are from your camera phone! :D

Take care buddy,

Eddie

dpt8
07-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Hey Shay, Glad to see you back with your fish .. Its gonna be NICE !! See ya Saturday !!

ashaysathe
07-23-2009, 08:49 PM
It's good to see you "officially" back in the hobby.
I too am very fond of Geos. I have 10 G Altifrons in a 100g tank with some clown loaches.
I got mine from a local hobbiest. They were only about an inch when I got them. Now they are about 8" and growing.
When feeding these guys I get splashed every time. They get so exited that splashing gets my shirt wet.
Joe

Joe are you coming for this meeting? Will be good to see you. Altifrons indeed are amazing fish. I will take some better shots of mine to show a few with nice trailers. Would be nice to see your Geos too more importantly your setup sand, rocks what else u have with them?

welcome back Ashay!

Thanks Ricardo I missed being on SD !!!

Big WELCOME back Ashay! Great to hear that you are excited about being back and it's great seeing how you've already got things in motion. Can't wait to see some discus tank shots.......even if they are from your camera phone! :D

Take care buddy,

Eddie

You bet Eddie. Photos coming up soon. I have to catchup on your and Angel's BK grow-a-thon. I wonder if I can chip in ;)

Everything looks great,welcome back,get some rest and we ll see ya this weekend. Take care Tom

How have you been Tom? Been a while talking to you and Rob too. "Looking forward to seeing both of ya" as Mark GrillMaster would say it.

Hey Shay, Glad to see you back with your fish .. Its gonna be NICE !! See ya Saturday !!

David .. David.. David.. will be seeing you in 2 days buddy. Get your silver pigeons. However you convinced Al for those.. man. I am going to go to Hans and get some. I need them bad.

mmorris
07-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Nice to see you about, Ashay and I look forward to seeing you Sat., bright and early in the morning! When are you going to see Mike about your discus? I've been looking for an excuse to go and see his setup. :)

ashaysathe
07-23-2009, 10:21 PM
I am going to pick half of my stock tomorrow to officially qualify for "Discus Meeting" for Mike's setup I can ask him if he does not mind both of us banging on his door Saturday early morning we can stop by look at his setup and proceed forward.

mmorris
07-23-2009, 10:30 PM
I'd love to stop by Mike's Sat. morning but I won't have the time. Perhaps another time?

brewmaster15
07-24-2009, 07:34 AM
Welcome Back Ashay!

Glad to hear that you found what you were looking for with the Geos!:)

Be good to see you tomarrow and hear all about!
-al

csarkar001
07-24-2009, 10:51 AM
see you tomorrow, ashay.

--chandan

dpt8
07-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Also, I have to say i am not really surprised that Mike Degan helped you out like that. That is the helpful generous person he is.. Hats off to Mike and Blackwater Aquaria ... David T