07-23-2009, 11:04 PM
what you all think??
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss201/BIGSLICK_KIT/mydiscus.jpg
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss201/BIGSLICK_KIT/mydiscus-2.jpg
thankz for looking

kit

bs6749
07-23-2009, 11:22 PM
From where did you get these if I may ask? I have my opinion on these fish but I'd rather not say. I'm sure others will feel the same as I do. The red is the best looking of the bunch in my opinion.

plaza80
07-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Please do tell us, as long as it's not too harsh it's all educational.

NeW2tHeBrEeD
07-24-2009, 12:14 AM
just the fish store we have here....the chessboard is new the albino is starting to eat and the blue sneakskin was sick for a while and wont eat.....

bs6749
07-24-2009, 12:22 AM
Okay, all of the fish except for the red one and possibly the turquoise (?) are severely stunted. If you can I would take them back, especially knowing that at least one of them isn't eating. More than likely they have heximita or spironucleus and you will have to treat them for that.

Notice how they have a triangular shape to their bodies and aren't round? They also have large eyes in comparison to their bodies. This is what I men by stunting. The albino golden and the pigeon blood in the back as especially stunted, as is the snakeskin. These fish should be much larger than what they are now. Bottom line is that you could have received much better quality fish in terms of how they look and as far as their health from a sponsor here on Simply Discus. Don't feel like you have been burnt and don't take my words as an insult. We've all been there when we first started out. It can be hard to judge quality when you are first starting.

jaykne
07-24-2009, 01:33 AM
Most of your discus do look stunted, Don't feel bad I have the first 6 discus I received was from a breeder and they are stunted, now the Red gold diamond look like its I good fish, but you really need to get them on some medications if the one is sick and not eating, you can give us the symtoms on here and there are allot of good people that could tell you what to medicate them with.

Eddie
07-24-2009, 01:48 AM
How long have you had them? I like the RGD and RT

Eddie

rickztahone
07-24-2009, 02:02 AM
i must agree with the above posts here Kit. do not feel bad however because if i had to guess i'd say over 75% of SD members started with discus that ended up being stunted, me included. the Red Melon? is the best one as previously mentioned and you can probably still get it on track with a good diet and a good water change regimen. now that you have found this site you can read up and see what quality discus look like, all you have to do is go to one of our sponsors page and look at the fish they are selling. many here have a "hero" tank (stunted discus) and you can do the same if you'd like. many euthanize, others give them to LFS, but like i said, many keep them. it's completely up to you. let us know if you have any more questions.

mikel
07-24-2009, 05:59 AM
Hi Kit: You should go to the breeder section (sponsor section) and snoop around. Take a look at some of the fish for sale by people like Kenny Cheung or Elite Discus (Wayne) or Jeff Yang...then compare them to your fish. Mind you the fish from these sponsors are sold to regular people like you and me....so we are not talking about 'Champion show" quality; but nonetheless, see the massive difference in quality. You can then draw your own conclusions, and now that you know, you can get your fish from the SD sponsors next time. It is indeed a learning experience; we all went through it in one form or another. Best. mike:)

NeW2tHeBrEeD
07-24-2009, 03:31 PM
thankz for all the help....i have them for about 2 months now...the chessboard is new ..can they get round around?

Armandi_Fishcarer
07-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Kit, all I could suggest is to try & maintain good water quality & heavy feedings to get these Discus up & running properly. The key is in the w/c's.

i have them for about 2 months now...the chessboard is new ..can they get round around? If the age of the fish is still young you should be able to beef it up & it will fill out more.

Regards
Ahmed ;)

NeW2tHeBrEeD
07-24-2009, 07:27 PM
thank you very much!!! just started to like discus like 2 months ago...i use to have arrowana:D

Armandi_Fishcarer
07-24-2009, 07:58 PM
No probs!

Justice
07-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Welcome to the Discus World NeW2tHeBrEeD! :)

I like the Red Turq! ;) I am a big softy for Blues and Turq's. :D

NeW2tHeBrEeD
07-26-2009, 09:53 PM
thank you!!!

Daniella
08-06-2009, 04:56 PM
I think the same way others think. Most are stunted and have bad body shape, but the red melon is nice and has hope.

I would suggest you to buy adult or near adult discus in the future. They are much more resistant, and you cannot stunt them. You also see how they will look as final result.

Disgirl
08-06-2009, 05:30 PM
I think he has already been told these things enough. No need to rub salt in the wound. Perhaps a kind word or two of encouragement would offer him more help. Just my opinion. Hang in there New!
Barb :)

Daniella
08-07-2009, 09:50 AM
I did, I suggested to buy adults instead and why. This is the best advise I could give to someone who start and will have more risk of stunting a discus.

There is no rubbing of anything here, just my opinion and advise.

I really do think adult or youg adult discus are best for those who begin, including me! lol. Young discus should be kept for more knowledgeble people. I wish someone would have gave me this advise when I first started.

I did the same mistake and bought young stunted discus from the pet store..I am still stuck with them. One of them I have for 6 months and is still 2" 1/2 and won't grow more. Was stunted when I got it but I had no idea. I have 3 that I wish just to give away for free...

I think he has already been told these things enough. No need to rub salt in the wound. Perhaps a kind word or two of encouragement would offer him more help. Just my opinion. Hang in there New!
Barb :)

pcsb23
08-07-2009, 10:51 AM
OK folks we have been down this path before. Please stop now before it gets out of hand.

Thanks.

hmccsal
08-07-2009, 12:12 PM
I also have stunted discus and I enjoy them just as much if not more than my other discus. If they bring a smile to you face that is all that matters:)

H82LOS3
08-07-2009, 02:13 PM
I learned alot, thanks to this thread!

Btw good luck on ur discus

DiscusKeeper403
08-09-2009, 10:43 PM
From where did you get these if I may ask? I have my opinion on these fish but I'd rather not say.

Lol. With a statement like that you mine as well have just said it...

Patr1ck
08-10-2009, 01:54 AM
Ive got stunted discus too, my first ones, like others have mentioned. I love them anyways. They have been with me the longest and therefore would be the hardest to lose if one was to pass on. I look at it like this; Even though they are stunted they are still beautiful fish, much more beautiful than thousands of other types of pretty fish that one could buy. Think of severums, stunted discus look far more beautiful then they do and yet severums are pretty fish.
Good luck with your little ones, lots of food and water will make them look alot better. Also a round of metro or some metro flake would do them good to get'em eating again. One more bit of info. The most stunted fish that I have is also the healthiest and with the biggest appetite. The best part about her is that she is still growing, slowly of course, but still growing. Ive had her for almost 2 years. She has paired up and laid eggs once, no babies, but fingers crossed.

Pat

Eddie
08-10-2009, 01:57 AM
Ive got stunted discus too, my first ones, like others have mentioned. I love them anyways. They have been with me the longest and therefore would be the hardest to lose if one was to pass on. I look at it like this; Even though they are stunted they are still beautiful fish, much more beautiful than thousands of other types of pretty fish that one could buy. Think of severums, stunted discus look far more beautiful then they do and yet severums are pretty fish.
Good luck with your little ones, lots of food and water will make them look alot better. Also a round of metro or some metro flake would do them good to get'em eating again. One more bit of info. The most stunted fish that I have is also the healthiest and with the biggest appetite. The best part about her is that she is still growing, slowly of course, but still growing. Ive had her for almost 2 years. She has paired up and laid eggs once, no babies, but fingers crossed.

Pat

The great thing about stunted fish is they have the potential to breed and successfully raise GORGEOUS fish! Hopefully you get a nice spawn Pat!

Best of luck,

Eddie

Patr1ck
08-10-2009, 02:06 AM
Thanks Eddie, just added a pic of her (taken before the camera lesson:))

Pat

Eddie
08-10-2009, 02:08 AM
Hey Pat, that fish has a wicked pattern. I'd breed her for sure! ;)

Take care,

Eddie

cmich
08-10-2009, 03:14 AM
Hey Kit,

Welcome to simply discus. My first two discus I had were the most stunted discus you could ever find. Since joining simply discus I have learned so much. Stay active on the forum and you are in for a ton of knowlege. Good luck with your discus, there is not a single fish that is more rewarding to keep!

Blake

Disgirl
08-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Now, these are the positive and kind words I was hoping for in post 17.
Thanks guys and good luck with the small but pretty discus:):).
Barb

David Rose
08-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Hi Kit and welcome to SD! I wish you all the best with your Discus. I'm sure they'll give you as much pleasure as mine do.

Kind Regards,
David