PDA

View Full Version : 5" Discus :D:D

DLock3d
07-24-2009, 01:20 AM
I know this won't mean jack to a lot of you guys but for some it will. I officially have a 5 inch discus. I measured him during my WC tonight. This is a pretty huge accomplishment as I haven't really had discus before. On top of that when the tank that my big guy is in was first started I wasn't doing near enough WC's or feedings. Thanks to the help of a lot of people here I've managed to salvage what would be stunted discus. The rest aren't too far behind but they definitely aren't 5". Of course I'd love to get another inch out of him but that's doubtful at best. I'm not positive on their ages but I got them in December of last year and I'd say they were at least 2 months old maybe three. So I'd put them somewhere around 10 months.

YAY FOR ME AND YAY FOR SIMPLY!

Eddie
07-24-2009, 01:44 AM
Congrats, that is really good. I'm glad to hear that you made some changes and your fish benefited from the fresh water! How about a picture when you can?

Take care and all the best with your fish!

Eddie

jaykne
07-24-2009, 01:47 AM
I would not say you can't get anymore size on them, do lots of water chages and food and 6 months from now you may have 6" discus. There growth slows down allot when the get to 4" and above so slow you don't even notice any growth.

rickztahone
07-24-2009, 02:06 AM
I know this won't mean jack to a lot of you guys but for some it will. I officially have a 5 inch discus. I measured him during my WC tonight. This is a pretty huge accomplishment as I haven't really had discus before. On top of that when the tank that my big guy is in was first started I wasn't doing near enough WC's or feedings. Thanks to the help of a lot of people here I've managed to salvage what would be stunted discus. The rest aren't too far behind but they definitely aren't 5". Of course I'd love to get another inch out of him but that's doubtful at best. I'm not positive on their ages but I got them in December of last year and I'd say they were at least 2 months old maybe three. So I'd put them somewhere around 10 months.

YAY FOR ME AND YAY FOR SIMPLY!

congrats! it is quite an accomplishment. keep up the great work

Elite Aquaria
07-24-2009, 06:21 AM
Dan, If the fish is only 10 months you should be able to get at least a 1/2 inch more. Not sure if 6" is possible but either way considering your feeding and WC program when we first started to talk the size you have archived is great. Did you measure the Blue Knights?

poconogal
07-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Bravo! I bought a 10 mo. old fish that has put on considerable size since then. She is now about 18 mos. and I swear, she still looks like she has grown some more recently! She is now the second largest in my tank, afber my 7.25 inch Bruiser.

YSS
07-24-2009, 11:18 AM
So, the most important question regarding size. Is the measurement TL or SL? :)

DLock3d
07-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Eddie: I'm a jerk and I'm long overdue to get people pictures here because I've never posted one and just enjoyed everyone elses. I'm not a big picture guy and don't have my own digital ha ha. BUT I'm moving into a house this weekend and my roomie definitely has a camera. I will try to get some pictures of my fishes sometime next week.

jaykne: Thanks for the advice!

Rick: Thanks!

Dan: I hear ya about that, I'm still not 100% on how old they were when I got them but we'll see. And yes, changing how I did everything has really visibly benefited my fish. No, the only fish I chose to measure was the biggin. I might measure your fish during the move.

Connie: That's awesome! I hope some of my Wayne's get to 7" sometime lol.

YSS: You WOULD ask that ha ha. I'd like to say SL but it's actually TL. I'm still very happy with it though.

Scribbles
07-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Congratulations! Sounds like you're doing a great job with your discus. Pictures?

Chris

Armandi_Fishcarer
07-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Great achievement in such a time frame, well done my friend & keep it up! :D

Regards
Ahmed ;)