PDA

View Full Version : Efficiency of the heater

dvc_r
07-25-2009, 05:50 PM
I tried adding to an older thread, but didn't get any responce (it probably got lost or buried with the other threads) so I'll try again:

I have a canister filter (XP3), and made a spraybar to run the water across the tank. I put my heater about 6 inches under and "parallel" to the spraybar, thinking the heated water will rise into the moving water and mix better throughout the tank. But when I look at all the photos, most of "you experts" keep the heater at a 45 degree angle. What's everyone input on this?

PS: after reading some of the posts, I am also going to lower the heater due to the water changing issues...thanks

Armandi_Fishcarer
07-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Well, IMO you could put the heater anyway you like.

Positioning in the tank is found to be crusial as the heat can sit in an area longer then the other. I place my internal power heads/spraybars too pass-by the heater as you specified & this works very well.

0-180deg angle -low level -big w/c's, some people I know fill up the tank a bit then turn heat on, wait---off, & fill up tank again, till full. I've found this a big time consumer & prefer too heat air-rated water in a barrell.

In my tanks I have heaters that sit on the floor with no suction, heaters straight up & down, heaters on 45deg. I find brands do vary some what considerably whilst in operation!

Regards
Ahmed ;)

rickztahone
07-25-2009, 08:24 PM
i place my heater exactly as you do but lower. i put it low enough so that i do not have to turn it off during WC's. ive had my heater on the left side of my tank and it created dead spots on the other side of the tank (6ft tank). i place them in the middle of the tank, plus i have an inline that spreads through the middle

dvc_r
07-25-2009, 09:05 PM
My heater is also on the left side of my 75 gal tank (under the spraybar). But for some reason the tank is 82.9 degrees (28.3 C) on the left side and 84.9 degrees (29.4 C) on the right side. The fish don't seem to perfer one side or the other and they don't look stressed. I also have a heater in my 50 gal storage tank for my RO water. And just a word to the wise... when doing WCs using a plastic storage can: when the water in the storage tank gets low make sure the heater is NOT laying against the side!!! That's another tread!

Eddie
07-25-2009, 09:14 PM
I think you just need a better heater or 2 of them is always better. I just lay my heaters in the tank floor, can get any of my tanks into the 90s easy as pie. Ehiem Jager all the way!

Take care
Eddie

Jhhnn
07-25-2009, 11:33 PM
I keep the heaters down low in the tank at a flat angle or parallel to the bottom, somewhere near the middle back. I don't have to fuss with 'em during water changes, and I'm not banging them around with the suction tube, either.

Not that it's any concern to me yet, but discus will apparently attempt to lay eggs on vertical or near vertical heaters, which can damage the female's ovipositor. Not a good thing.

I'll definitely agree with Eddie as to the desirability of multiple heaters, even though I don't always do that. It costs a little more up front, but serves as a sort of backup if one fails, and in the even worse event that one sticks on. By holding total wattage of multiple heaters to the minimum required, the possibilities of cooked fish are reduced... It happened to me many years ago while I was away on a 3 day weekend...

I like to use the 1/2" isocyanurate insulation board from Home Depot on the back, bottom and sides of my tanks. It definitely slows down heat loss, and should theoretically help keep tank temp more even.

I just point the discharge from the canister or sump return pump straight down into the back corner of my bare bottom tanks, with the pickup at the other end. It creates a current across the bottom, pushes all the fish poop to one end, making it easier to clean...

Don Trinko
07-26-2009, 09:11 AM
As long as you have reasonably good circulation you can put the heater any way you want. The manufacturers ussualy suggest the top up. This is because the thermostat is in the top and the heater in the bottom. The heat will cause the water around the heater to tend to rize and turn off the heater. If you put the top down it would take a larger diference in temperature to turn it off.
Many put them sideways with no problem. Again; Circulation is neccisary to uniformly heat the tank. Don T.

poconogal
07-26-2009, 09:35 AM
When I had a stick heater in my tank I had it placed horizontally near the middle of the back wall. I had an AC 500 filter in use at the time and the tank temp was even all around. But one of my females started laying eggs on it, even though it was not placed vertically. I then wrapped a silk plant around the heater to prevent her from laying, so she then removed the plant and laid her eggs (persistent fish). I then switched to a canister filter and the Hydor Inline heater so no more heater inside the tank. The temperature is even all around and I never have to worry about heaters and WCs.

dvc_r
07-26-2009, 12:50 PM
ALright, so in a nutshell This thread tought me to lower the heater and I have a legitimate excuse to go to the LFS to buy "more stuff"! (I'll be leaving in 10 minites!)

I love this web site!

Thanks guys!

dvc_r
07-26-2009, 12:56 PM
PS: Connie
"Thanks guys" is meant as a generic term... (originally from NY) No hard feelings?

... Pocono... anywhere near Shawnie Mountain?

poconogal
07-26-2009, 01:44 PM
No hard feelings, LOL!!!:D:D:D

Shawnee is about 10 mins. from my house. I see you have the XP3, that's what I have my Hydor Inline connected to. Works beautifully. Maybe that's why you went to the LFS? To buy one of those?

We're headed down to FL on Tuesday. Are you anywhere near Ft Myers?

dvc_r
07-26-2009, 09:07 PM
I used to ski Shanee every year when I was a kid. Back then there were three main slopes and the lodge was on the top of the mountain. My parents have timeshare there.

I'm in Clearwater (about 2 hrs due north). I hope you pack light! It's been HOT and HUMID!!! In the 90's, heat index over 100 every day and lots of rain. As a matter of fact Fort Myers has been getting slammed most the day today. But fortunately it never stays rainy in the "Sunny State".

I hope you have a greata time!

poconogal
07-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Uh oh, weather doesn't sound too good! Its been ridiculously cool here, mostly in the 70s in July! Weird! We have a little place down there so even if its raining we'll hang out at home, LOL!!!

BTW, I'm originally from NY too... Brooklyn then Staten Island.

dvc_r
07-26-2009, 09:57 PM
Sorry, I've been doing my (fish) homework. Wow we have alot in common. I'm origionally from "out east" on the Island, Farmingville.

I went to the LFS to get another heater but I wasn't happy with my choices. I have a 400 watt heater in my 75 gal but wasn't sure if I should get another 400 watt or two 200 watts??? Then I saw your post and started reading up on the inline heater. I think I like that better. I'll run it through my XP3 like you suggested. Now I need to shop for the best price.

rickztahone
07-27-2009, 12:12 AM
Sorry, I've been doing my (fish) homework. Wow we have alot in common. I'm origionally from "out east" on the Island, Farmingville.

I went to the LFS to get another heater but I wasn't happy with my choices. I have a 400 watt heater in my 75 gal but wasn't sure if I should get another 400 watt or two 200 watts??? Then I saw your post and started reading up on the inline heater. I think I like that better. I'll run it through my XP3 like you suggested. Now I need to shop for the best price.

this is strictly IMO but isn't 400w too much for a 75? i would much rather do 2 smaller heaters. imagine if that heater sticks on you?

Jhhnn
07-27-2009, 08:57 AM
this is strictly IMO but isn't 400w too much for a 75? i would much rather do 2 smaller heaters. imagine if that heater sticks on you?

The usual recommendation is 3-5 watts/gallon. Going for the middle ground, 300w total should be about right for 75 gals.

I have a 250w Eheim Jager in my recently set up 75 w/ wet/dry filter & sponge filters, which obviously dissipates heat pretty fast. I also have insulation board on the back and bottom. The heater hasn't struggled to hold 84-86F, at all, and I don't anticipate any issues this winter, even though room temp is allowed to go down to 60F at night...

Which reminds me that I need to get a temp controller for that tank... enclose the stand into a cabinet...

No rest for the wicked...

poconogal
07-27-2009, 06:34 PM

The Hydor Inline is an excellent choice. Works great and you don't see it in the tank. I love mine. I have a 75 with the 300W Hydor.

dvc_r
07-27-2009, 09:42 PM
isn't 400w too much for a 75
I had a 300 watt heater at first but I couldn't get the temp past 81-82 degrees, so I bought a second one that was also 300 watts thinking I may have had a "cheap" brand, but I still couldn't get the temp high enough. Now with my 400 watt heater I can max at about 85-86.

I'm not sure why or what variables are giving me the problems. It may have something to do with the airstone, the lighting, also the way my light is mounted, I can't put a cover over it, so evaporation is high, It could also have something to do with the filtration/circulation...hence the origional thread...

So "In Your Opinion" what do you think about a 200 watt in-line and maybe a anthoer 200 watt on the side? I see your point if a heater sticks but what if the other happens and one heater stops working, will the water get too cool?

Jhhnn
07-28-2009, 01:10 AM
I don't understand why you can't put a glass top on your tank, unless it's rimless or a very odd size. Even then, some ingenuity, the services of a glass shop and an internet purchase of the hinges and back plastic strips should make it possible...

If your heater stays on all the time and can't keep the temp up, it's too small. If it cycles on/off but won't keep up, it's improperly calibrated or just out of range for that brand...

Dunno much about other brands of heaters at this point, but the Eheim Jagers need to be calibrated when new. No big deal, but it needs to be done. The Hydor inlines and Renas apparently don't, and they're well regarded.

Cheap heaters suck, and oversize heaters pose a risk to your fish that you don't need to take...

dvc_r
07-28-2009, 01:54 PM
The light is clamped on by two large plastic screws that wrap around the top lip of the tank. Hold on let me take a picture, it's easier to explain...

dvc_r
07-28-2009, 02:00 PM
So, unless I get a shop to cut out a section on the side, I can't lay a top on it. Also a cut in the glass will loss the integrity and also prevent me from getting opening the top for maintanance and feeding.

Or is there something I'm missing?

tcyiu
07-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Just a thought, if you were to get 3 strips of glass. The middle strip would have notches cut in to accommodate the legs of the light. I would imagine this middle strip would be semi permanent. The strips along the front and back of the tank can be easily removed for servicing the tank.

Tim

DiscusOnly
07-30-2009, 04:30 PM
What kind of light is that? Sounds like it's easier to get a different leg for those lights.

Can't use use something like this?
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/234012/product.web

dvc_r
07-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Wow what coincidence, Fish dot com has the Hydero Inline heater is $36.59. I've been shopping around and the average is about $55! So I ordered one. I hope it helps to stabalize my tank.
Should I keep the other one in for safety reasons as dissused before?

rickztahone
07-31-2009, 02:51 AM
Wow what coincidence, Fish dot com has the Hydero Inline heater is $36.59. I've been shopping around and the average is about $55! So I ordered one. I hope it helps to stabalize my tank.
Should I keep the other one in for safety reasons as dissused before?

wow, thanks for the tip, just picked one up for $42 including ship, you just can't beat that!
here's the link
http://www.fish.com/item/hydor-eth-in-line-heater/710077%20200/

dvc_r
08-01-2009, 07:52 AM
That's a first. I finally helped someone else out!

They had a bunch of good deals, I bought a few other things also, and shipping is only 4.99.

dvc_r
08-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Hey Ricardo: I got my 300 watt Hydor inline today! After making a mess hooking it up, it is unbelievable! I took out the 400 watt heater and now I've been fine tuning the temp before I go to sleep. It brought the temp to 87 in a few hours. so i'm trying to lower it slightly so I don't fry my other fish. I have a feeling I'm gonna get little sleep tonight, I'll be running downstairs every hour to monitor the temp.
Once I get it going it will also save me a little on my electric bill (I'm running 7 heater now).

Disgirl
08-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Hi dvc! I just looked at your album with the 75 gal. tank shots. What a beautiful tank you have! Good job with the fish, plants and decor. Really like it! Everyone else, check it out!
Barb :)

rickztahone
08-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Hey Ricardo: I got my 300 watt Hydor inline today! After making a mess hooking it up, it is unbelievable! I took out the 400 watt heater and now I've been fine tuning the temp before I go to sleep. It brought the temp to 87 in a few hours. so i'm trying to lower it slightly so I don't fry my other fish. I have a feeling I'm gonna get little sleep tonight, I'll be running downstairs every hour to monitor the temp.
Once I get it going it will also save me a little on my electric bill (I'm running 7 heater now).

that's what i'm scared of, making a big mess! when i installed my first hydor on my 2nd xp3 it was easy because the filter wasn't set up yet. now i have to install one with the filter up and running (power off of course). we shall see how much of a mess i make, lol. good thing is that i do not need to put it in yet since i can't remember the last time one of my heaters turned on, it's so hot over here :mad:

Daniella
08-07-2009, 03:39 PM
I keep mine also 45 degree and as low as possible as they will crack if they are hot and allowed to be out of the water and then you refill the water and bang..they crack. It's dangerous for electricity going in the water.

Mine are not even close to the water outtake and work just as fine. Often is it better to have 2 smaller heater than one very powerfull one so if one is defective or overheat, there will be less dammage.

I tried adding to an older thread, but didn't get any responce (it probably got lost or buried with the other threads) so I'll try again:

I have a canister filter (XP3), and made a spraybar to run the water across the tank. I put my heater about 6 inches under and "parallel" to the spraybar, thinking the heated water will rise into the moving water and mix better throughout the tank. But when I look at all the photos, most of "you experts" keep the heater at a 45 degree angle. What's everyone input on this?

PS: after reading some of the posts, I am also going to lower the heater due to the water changing issues...thanks

Daniella
08-07-2009, 03:44 PM
That's strange. I have 2 x 200 watts in a 120 gallons and no trouble to keep the water at 92 if I wish have to.

I check my temperature daily, to be sure everything is right, as I do my water change.

Must be your brand of heater, not sure.

I had a 300 watt heater at first but I couldn't get the temp past 81-82 degrees, so I bought a second one that was also 300 watts thinking I may have had a "cheap" brand, but I still couldn't get the temp high enough. Now with my 400 watt heater I can max at about 85-86.

I'm not sure why or what variables are giving me the problems. It may have something to do with the airstone, the lighting, also the way my light is mounted, I can't put a cover over it, so evaporation is high, It could also have something to do with the filtration/circulation...hence the origional thread...

So "In Your Opinion" what do you think about a 200 watt in-line and maybe a anthoer 200 watt on the side? I see your point if a heater sticks but what if the other happens and one heater stops working, will the water get too cool?

GrillMaster
08-07-2009, 07:42 PM
The Hydor Inline is an excellent choice. Works great and you don't see it in the tank. I love mine. I have a 75 with the 300W Hydor.

Ditto on what Connie said... :)

I have a 125G with 2 Xp3's and a Hydor 300 in line with each of them! They have worked flawlessly for 2 years now... My grandkids could hook it up as well!! :D

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+11369&pcatid=11369

You can save yourself a lil money by ordering it online. :thumbsup:

rickztahone
08-08-2009, 03:10 AM
That's strange. I have 2 x 200 watts in a 120 gallons and no trouble to keep the water at 92 if I wish have to.

I check my temperature daily, to be sure everything is right, as I do my water change.

Must be your brand of heater, not sure.

what kind of thermometer are you using?