PDA

View Full Version : We had one heck of a thunderstorm... lost power

poconogal
07-26-2009, 10:09 AM
What a thunderstorm we had last night. Scared me half to death. With one bolt of lightning we heard a sizzling sound in the house. I screamed and ran, my Dobermans ran to me looking for something to protect me from! My husband was in the basement shutting of the computer down there and he heard the sizzle right above his head. He turned around and saw our exercise bike's display panel had been turned on. The display is powered by batteries right now, and is NOT plugged in. We also lost our power supply for our linksys wireless internet. It got fried - it was plugged in right above his head! We ended up losing our power and I was VERY happy!

Now you're wondering why I would be happy, right? You're probably thinking that I've lost my mind! Well, its because about 9 months ago we had a Generac whole house generator installed and I've never been able to see if it actually worked properly, came on automatically during a power outage, etc.

Last night we had the opportunity, finally! We sat in the dark for about 15 seconds and then the generator came on. Power to the fish tanks (that's what I checked first of course, LOL) and the rest of the house, too. We had A/C, water, (the well pump needs power of course) lights and a very good experience. We're leaving for Florida on Tuesday and I always used to worry when we were away. What if there was a power failure, what would happen to my fish? I had battery powered air pumps that came on when power went off, but what about heat and filtration? Now I don't have to worry about this stuff anymore... phew, there's enough other stuff to worry about! :D

Eddie
07-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Well thats good news Connie, not having to worry about the fish is a relief, I am sure! Glad to hear it all in working order!

Take care,

Eddie

bs6749
07-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Good to hear Connie! Glad everything is working the way it is supposed to. I've seen an ad on a billboard for Gererac I might have to check them out.

poconogal
07-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Well thats good news Connie, not having to worry about the fish is a relief, I am sure! Glad to hear it all in working order!

Take care,

Eddie
Thanks! The sizzle throughout the house was scary. We checked everything today and there doesn't seem to be any damage. It could have been much worse, Eddie!

Good to hear Connie! Glad everything is working the way it is supposed to. I've seen an ad on a billboard for Gererac I might have to check them out.
Bryan, we got our generator thru an authorized dealer who was selling them on Ebay. We paid close to 50% less than what Home Depot charges and got an all aluminum housing instead of steel, too. So if you check them out, check out Ebay, too.

rickztahone
07-26-2009, 12:28 PM
i'm glad everything worked out during the power outage Connie. to be quite honest i'm not sure what i would do if the power went out here. the only good thing going for me is that my heater is ALWAYS off now-a-days due to the heat. it's hard to believe that while we are hitting low 100's here in NorCal there are places having crazy thunderstorms.

Roxanne
07-26-2009, 08:21 PM
.... I screamed and ran, my Dobermans ran to me looking for something to protect me from! ....

:spit:...that's funny Connie...

..... My husband .... turned around and saw our exercise bike's display panel had been turned on. The display is powered by batteries right now, and is NOT plugged in.

:crazy::inquisitive:...that's weird Connie....

what's going on up there in the Poconos??...closer to heaven so closer to the lightning???..harness that power and use that to run your tanks lolol

Rox

korbi_doc
07-27-2009, 08:34 AM
;) I'm so glad you are all ok Connie...the bike thing is really wierd...good to know everything will be backed up when you are away...& the dobies? bet they were confused....some of these storms have been really rough here too!! I too need a whole house generator & plan for it later....

This am went to put the girls out & feed horses, & heard a wierd loud noise in the fishroom.....one of the AC filters in my wild 55g was trying to work, lost siphon...didn't think anything of it 'til I came back in from the barn & saw that the stove & microwave clocks were black...had lost power for at least half hr..that's what happened to the AC filter...so now have to get it restarted & check the rest...never heard a thing, but must've been another storm, lol..will have to really think 'bout this generator...

Dottie ;)

poconogal
07-27-2009, 06:39 PM
i'm glad everything worked out during the power outage Connie. to be quite honest i'm not sure what i would do if the power went out here. the only good thing going for me is that my heater is ALWAYS off now-a-days due to the heat. it's hard to believe that while we are hitting low 100's here in NorCal there are places having crazy thunderstorms.
Rick, the weather has been totally nuts. Today is one of the very few days where it actually feels like a summer day and I don't think it went past 85... we've been mostly in the 70s, very cool for summer!

:spit:...that's funny Connie...

:crazy::inquisitive:...that's weird Connie....

what's going on up there in the Poconos??...closer to heaven so closer to the lightning???..harness that power and use that to run your tanks lolol

Rox
Rox, that must be it, since we're on top of a mountain. It really was weird with the battery display, that was a bolt of energy that went over Kurt's head, LOL

poconogal
07-27-2009, 06:46 PM
;) I'm so glad you are all ok Connie...the bike thing is really wierd...good to know everything will be backed up when you are away...& the dobies? bet they were confused....some of these storms have been really rough here too!! I too need a whole house generator & plan for it later....

This am went to put the girls out & feed horses, & heard a wierd loud noise in the fishroom.....one of the AC filters in my wild 55g was trying to work, lost siphon...didn't think anything of it 'til I came back in from the barn & saw that the stove & microwave clocks were black...had lost power for at least half hr..that's what happened to the AC filter...so now have to get it restarted & check the rest...never heard a thing, but must've been another storm, lol..will have to really think 'bout this generator...

Dottie ;)

Dottie, having the generator is a load off my mind. I have a small tank in the basement with some tetras and harlequins that have been in QT since April, LOL! Just haven't moved them yet. Anyway, that has an AC 50 on it and I was concerned about losing power and it losing the siphon, but when I checked after losing power and the generator came back on, the filter was running just fine. On the discus tank I have 2 canisters and always worried about losing power for hours and having the bio die. Then having the power come back on... and bye bye Discus!

Better start working on getting that generator, Dottie!

Disgirl
07-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Wow, what a scare! This is the first time I have ever heard someone say they were glad when the power went off. But I surely see what you mean...:D. That is so cute about your dogs looking for something to protect you from. It really made me smile. Have a great trip!
Barb

GrillMaster
07-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Connie glad you only lost your linksys!!:shocked2: Dont know that I would wanna get on the excersise bike after that! ;) :D

We had a storm a few weeks ago that lasted about 6 hours and dumped 22" of rain in that amount of time flooded everything on the road so they closed it down. We lost power as well but luckily we also have a generator. It was the lightning and the cracks right after it that was scary. Lightning was hitting everywhere around me for about 4 hours! blew up a few trees up the street and hit a couple of my neighbors houses. Worst storm I have ever seen up here by far!

Scribbles
07-28-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm glad that everything turned out ok Connie. I sure would like to get a generator like yours. Ours is gas powered so we only run it until 9 or 10 PM and have the extension cord snakepit to deal with. It would be nice to have it just take over when the power fails.

Chris

calihawker
07-29-2009, 01:43 AM
Scary stuff Connie! Glad everything came out all right!:o