PDA

View Full Version : Starting 90 gal BB growout tank

nesser
07-27-2009, 01:56 AM
I recently got a used 90gal,I can afford 8 x2.5" Discus I bought a new A.C 110(the one that came with was not so good).I bought a new digi timer and I've put a pre filter and loaded the A.C 110 with bio media,there are two 200 watt heaters a bubble wall and powerhead.I'm wanting to use a divider made of plastic ceiling tile with the the square holes.Anyway is it necessary for me to have a bio sponge like so many of you have?I have put bio media in a 3 stages of my filter will I still have nitrite problems? Also should I use a divider to keep the fish together in the big tank or is that a waste of time?

rickztahone
07-27-2009, 02:00 AM
...I have put bio media in a 3 stages of my filter will I still have nitrite problems?

is this brand new media? if so, then you will need to cycle that tank. the juvies can not go into that because they are really sensitive to nitrite and ammonia. do you have any cycled media from another tank? if not then i would suggest not getting the fish in just yet. a sponge filter helps with giving the bio an added surface to colonize. it also provides surface agitation which is a plus

Eddie
07-27-2009, 04:18 AM
As mentioned the sponge is really a good area for bacteria to colonize. Either way, with or without a sponge, I'd recommend a prefilter on the inlet tube of your ACs. Filtermax prefilters are perfect for Aqua Clears.

Take care and look forward to seeing your set-up!

Almost forgot, cycled sponge filters are always good to have in the event you need to quarantine a fish.

Eddie

Elite Aquaria
07-27-2009, 06:54 AM
I would put 2 sponges as back up...I run a central system in my fish room and each tank has 1 or 2 sponge filters as back up. This way when I clean my central system I still have bio from the sponges. I wish I had a 120...good luck

nesser
07-28-2009, 10:10 PM
My fluval 405 has a four stages with cycled media I might swap a tray into the A.C.I have been washing my old sponge filters to activate some bacteria over the last week,I have added "Cycle" to speed my start up time,I already have small nitrate levels!but Im also reading nitrites wich is ok but I have to really watch that.Where can I get a self-drivin bio sponges I've had others but I think those would work better?I am definately makeing a journal of this,practise makes perfect!LOL

Keasbeynights
07-28-2009, 10:39 PM
That's a start, but like the others said, I would wait till you are constantly reading 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. Juvies are really easy to stunt.