PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone, I have a quick question...

mikel
07-29-2009, 10:48 AM
The beautiful Blue Diamond that I acquired from Kenny as a juvie this past december has grown to more than 6.5 inches. He is developing a long trailer at the end of his dorsel fin. In any case, he is beginning to shake and shutter when another big BD comes near him, and he is also seen picking at the heater and the intake valve to my HOB filter. But he is also no longer all that interested in the BH/seafood mix, and only eats a few flakes of Omega One flakes. He looks like he is maintaining his weight (he is quite thick set and big) but he is definitely off food for the most part. I dont see him pooping anything whitish or clear, and he is still swimming with fins high and constantly displaying.

Could he be sick, or am I expecting him to eat too voraciously as when he was younger? I just dont know if his behavior is the beginning of pairing or if he is actually sick.

My water seems fine...the PH is at 7.5 and I do 60% or so water changes everyday...tap with Prime. My three other big BD are all fine and eat well. I just dont know what's with him. Thanks in advance. mike

Eddie
07-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Hey there Mike, not too uncommon for fish to go off food when they are in the mood. I think he is fine, just keep an eye on him as I am sure you do anyways. ;)

HTH

Eddie

pinkjello
07-29-2009, 11:34 AM
i "think" he is getting ready to mate..my girl did the same thing when she was about to lay eggs..they shake, quiver, pick at an area to clean it off to get it ready for laying eggs.

That could be a thought?
oh, and apparently they dont eat as much when they are getting ready to mate..

hopefully thats the problem..although its a good problem to have!

mikel
07-29-2009, 11:58 AM
thanks guys for your quick reply. I hope you are right. This BD is the "diamond" in my eyes. I got him as my only fish purchase from Kenny, and he was so kind to have picked out the "prettiest" one from the Forrest december shipment to send to me. He turned out to be a stunning juvie specimen...perfectly round, high fins, metalic blue instead of the usualy "Ocean greenish" blue that BD tends to be, and blood red eyes that were very small relative to his face. He grew huge on Al's BH and my version of Eddie's seafood mix, and he has been one awsome fish...playing in the shallow water when I do my daily water changes, and bullying the girl fishes around him. Now he is absolutely the big fish in the tank, and so suddenly, no longer likes to eat! Instead, he spends his days shuttering in front of the other fish, then pecking at the heater and the intake. I just saw him eat a pile of Super veggie Flakes from Omega One just now, so at least I know he is eating something.

They grow up way too fast, and these boys have only one thing on their mind! :D Thanks again for your thoughts. I will keep my eyes on him for now. mike

Eddie
07-29-2009, 12:04 PM
these boys have only one thing on their mind! :D mike

Sounds good Mike, you know it! ;)

Take care,

Eddie

jaykne
07-29-2009, 12:22 PM
The big pair I have did the same thing when they started spawning they stopped eating nearly as much, and when I moved them into there own tank they would only eat frozen blood worms. I had to starve them because they need the BH or seafood mix to stay in good condition to spawn and raise fry, mine are eating BH now but the eggs turn white. Not sure if the male is to young still or if he has been off other foods for so long, got them from Kenny and paired off and started spawning right away. They spawn then within about 2 days the eggs are all gone because they eat them when they turn white then within 2 days they spawn again. I just let them keep going and hope soon they will have fertile eggs.

jaykne
07-29-2009, 12:27 PM
thanks guys for your quick reply. I hope you are right. This BD is the "diamond" in my eyes. I got him as my only fish purchase from Kenny, and he was so kind to have picked out the "prettiest" one from the Forrest december shipment to send to me. He turned out to be a stunning juvie specimen...perfectly round, high fins, metalic blue instead of the usualy "Ocean greenish" blue that BD tends to be, and blood red eyes that were very small relative to his face. He grew huge on Al's BH and my version of Eddie's seafood mix, and he has been one awsome fish...playing in the shallow water when I do my daily water changes, and bullying the girl fishes around him. Now he is absolutely the big fish in the tank, and so suddenly, no longer likes to eat! Instead, he spends his days shuttering in front of the other fish, then pecking at the heater and the intake. I just saw him eat a pile of Super veggie Flakes from Omega One just now, so at least I know he is eating something.

They grow up way too fast, and these boys have only one thing on their mind! :D Thanks again for your thoughts. I will keep my eyes on him for now. mike

Hey Mike how big was he when you got him?

mikel
07-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Hi Jay: I got my BD from Kenny when it was around 3 inches. It was a nice size juvie fish, but by no mean a huge monster. I asked Kenny to pick out the nicest one in terms of shape, eye size and color and fin proportion...not absolute size. In fact. he gave me a few choices...either get the biggest in size but not the "best" in shape and fin, or the medium size one with all the right proportion and eyes. I went with the latter, and boy was I pleased when I saw him. It sounds like an old record, but I think Kenny is one heck of a guy who really knows what his customer likes. I only got one fish, but he spent such personalized attn on that one. mike:)

ShinShin
07-29-2009, 05:34 PM
It is not uncommon for this sort of behavior from a discus that is ready to spawn. He has other things on his mind. Good job raising him, esp. the wtaer changes.

Mat

mikel
07-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks Mat for your compliment! I still have a great deal to learn, but I came to the conclusion very early on from this forum that "water is the key"...This is why i would rather ask questions here, and stay focused on keeping the water as clean as possible, than to resort to shot-gun meds. By the way, and just in case, I have pure Metro powder (from jehmco), Prazi powder (jehmco), Quik Cure (LFS), Epsom salt, regular salt and lavimasole boluse ready to go at any time as the situation warrants. I just dont want to use them if I dont need to. Thanks again. mike:)

Patr1ck
07-30-2009, 05:22 AM
Sounds like "he" is getting ready to breed. Are you sure he is a "he"? My female, when she is in the mood, does all those things that you said your fish does. Happens every 10 days or so.

Pat

mikel
07-30-2009, 06:06 AM
The only reason why I think it's a "he" is the long "trailer" that only he has among my four big BDs. Actually, another BD (from Al) that is also approaching 6.5 inches but a few months younger is getting a sharp edge point to the end of "his" dorsel too...but no where near as pronounced as this one. He is also quite domineering toward the other three BDs. He is usually found strutting his stuff in front of the other 3 fish, like a late teen boy...awkwardly clumsy and overcompensating for his own insecurities. Sorry but cant help anthropomorphizing here; I teach kids at that age range so I see it everyday:D:D:D mike

Patr1ck
07-30-2009, 06:13 AM
The only reason why I think it's a "he" is the long "trailer" that only he has among my four big BDs. Actually, another BD (from Al) that is also approaching 6.5 inches but a few months younger is getting a sharp edge point to the end of "his" dorsel too...but no where near as pronounced as this one. He is also quite domineering toward the other three BDs. He is usually found strutting his stuff in front of the other 3 fish, like a late teen boy...awkwardly clumsy and overcompensating for his own insecurities. Sorry but cant help anthropomorphizing here; I teach kids at that age range so I see it everyday:D:D:D mike

Hey Mike, The same female that I was talking about has this trailer as well, its about 3/4 inches long and comes to a point at the most rearward part of her dorsal fin. Is that what you are talking about?

Pat

mikel
07-30-2009, 09:29 AM
OhHHHHHH, I see, Pat. So are you sure yours is a female? I was always under the impression that the long trailers and the long pair of fins by the vent indicate male fish. Maybe I am mistaken! mike:confused:

Patr1ck
07-30-2009, 02:15 PM
OhHHHHHH, I see, Pat. So are you sure yours is a female? I was always under the impression that the long trailers and the long pair of fins by the vent indicate male fish. Maybe I am mistaken! mike:confused:

By long pair of fins by the vent, do you mean the pectoral fins? If so, hers are the longest in the tank. Yep, Im sure she is a she. I see her lay eggs on the driftwood piece all the time. Thats her in my avatar.

Pat