PDA

View Full Version : the other side of discus

mic_x
07-30-2009, 03:31 AM
Sometimes my discus remind me that they’re cichlids.
Yesterday I put some t.r. Julie corys with my discus. When the Julies first went in the tank my big B.D. went to check the newbie out. And I said to myself “oh, look he’s curious and investigative how cute” all seemed well so I left the tank to attend to other chores. When I came back to look at the tank I saw the Julie spinning at the top of being pecked at by big blue. I quickly caught the Julie so I could move him to a different tank when I noticed it and said “oh, sweet lord his eyeballs have been eaten out of his head!” I’ve seen discus be aggressive before but eating eyeballs was something I didn’t expect. I thought that was reserved for the big boy cichlids like pikes or flowerhorns. But I guess every so often the discus have to let you what they’re capable of.

Eddie
07-30-2009, 04:36 AM
No worries, my discus love panda cory snacks too. :(

Eddie

Mr Wild
07-30-2009, 05:38 AM
Yep mine too. However I did put 6 sterbai in the other week and I still have all of them ATM. Did it late at night with the light off and put them in the plants so they had a hiding place. They are out in full sight now so the test is on!

cyberhog05
07-30-2009, 05:50 AM
dont tell me this...I have 8 sterbai coming tomorrow! So if they leave my current corys alone chances are they will be fine with the new additions when they come out from QT?

discus_newbie
07-30-2009, 06:14 AM
I have neons and cory before the discus were introduced. Will they get attack too?

Eddie
07-30-2009, 06:24 AM
I have neons and cory before the discus were introduced. Will they get attack too?

They could, always a possibility.

Eddie

Mr Wild
07-30-2009, 08:00 AM
My main offender is one of my big boys, he seems to line them up and does this fast flick of the tail and just rams them into the glass or driftwood, then the poor little buggers kind of do a few death rolls and its all over. Then if he feels like it he eats them. Well they are cichlids and if the fish can fit in their mouth.............

Eddie
07-30-2009, 11:58 AM
My main offender is one of my big boys, he seems to line them up and does this fast flick of the tail and just rams them into the glass or driftwood, then the poor little buggers kind of do a few death rolls and its all over. Then if he feels like it he eats them. Well they are cichlids and if the fish can fit in their mouth.............

ROTFLMAO, this is hilarious Kath, not really but I mean....really! I can totally imagine that. Kind of like a killer whale when they just play with a seal, SMACK!!! I am literally dying laughing, that is so bad but its funny! :o

Eddie

Cooldadddyfunk286
07-30-2009, 12:26 PM
haha, that is funny! I pictured it the same way! gotta love discus ;)

poconogal
07-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Gee, what kind of Discus do you people have? ROFLMAO! :D:D:D

My Discus don't bother even teeny tiny baby Corys, they could care less about Cardinals or any other fish that have been with them. All they care about is their flakes and pellets and they never even notice the other fish! You guys have some savages! :D

mmorris
07-30-2009, 04:57 PM
I raised guppies once so I could feed the fry to my discus. I finally fished the fry out of the discus tank. They didn't even look at them!

frenchie100
07-30-2009, 06:50 PM
My neighbor found one of his discus dead with a cardinal tetra in his mouth! :(

Eddie
07-30-2009, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I think its how we raise them....mine are trained killers! :mad: LOL

csarkar001
07-30-2009, 08:52 PM
i'm about three weeks away from putting some bnps in my main show tank. any chance they get beaten up?

Mr Wild
07-31-2009, 03:16 AM
ROTFLMAO, this is hilarious Kath, not really but I mean....really! I can totally imagine that. Kind of like a killer whale when they just play with a seal, SMACK!!! I am literally dying laughing, that is so bad but its funny! :o

Eddie

haha, that is funny! I pictured it the same way! gotta love discus ;)

Gee, what kind of Discus do you people have? ROFLMAO! :D:D:D

My Discus don't bother even teeny tiny baby Corys, they could care less about Cardinals or any other fish that have been with them. All they care about is their flakes and pellets and they never even notice the other fish! You guys have some savages! :D

LOLOL Its the "roughnecks" I have HAHAHAHAHAHA

Aussie tough! LOLOLOL

David Rose
08-05-2009, 10:50 AM
ROFL... Nature vs. Nurture. I think it's all in the child-rearing. :D

When there is overly agressive behaviour, I just give them a time out. Works the first time, every time.

My corys, cardinal and rummy nose tetras have all been fine and my Discus couldn't care less about them. (ATM :angel:) knock on wood

David

Eddie
08-05-2009, 10:56 AM
ROFL... Nature vs. Nurture. I think it's all in the child-rearing. :D

When there is overly agressive behaviour, I just give them a time out. Works the first time, every time.

My corys, cardinal and rummy nose tetras have all been fine and my Discus couldn't care less about them. (ATM :angel:) knock on wood

David

Bring them over to my house. :D LOL

Eddie

David Rose
08-05-2009, 11:09 AM
I don't think I'll be scheduling any play dates Eddie. LOL

Of course, I'm considering going into a whole new line in the Discus hobby in renting out my Discus as trainers. LOL. I think they'll have to bulk up and complete there boot camp here first. ;)

Eddie
08-05-2009, 11:12 AM
I don't think I'll be scheduling any play dates Eddie. LOL

Of course, I'm considering going into a whole new line in the Discus hobby in renting out my Discus as trainers. LOL. I think they'll have to bulk up and complete there boot camp here first. ;)

LOL, thats pretty good. Train them to be trained "NON-killers". :D

Eddie

lemondiscus
08-06-2009, 02:04 PM
So I do know now it was just not my tank! My Discus are EVIL whenever I add new fish to the tank!

I tried GBR (German Blue Rams) and I could not keep them to save my life... I would find them dead after a few days... I tried about 6 of them... my last one left was pestering my largest Discus (6" Discus) and the Discus turned its side to the GBR and whacked her with its tail right into the glass... it rolled up to the top twitching...

Needless to say I dont even try GBRs anymore...