PDA

View Full Version : White faced melon?

hmccsal
07-30-2009, 11:53 PM
I adopted a white face melon(maybe) and have had it for about 2 months. It has grown about 1 inch and its face has now gone yellow. My question is can white faced melons change to yellow faced melons as they mature? Thanks for any information and I will try to get some pics on of it soon.

Eddie
07-31-2009, 12:47 AM
What foods are you feeding?

Eddie

hmccsal
07-31-2009, 07:54 PM
I feed NLS discus pellets, NLS H2O flake, Hikari frozen blood worms and brine shrimp. I was in contact with the NLS rep and he says that the color enhancer would not make the face change color.

Eddie
08-01-2009, 10:17 PM
I feed NLS discus pellets, NLS H2O flake, Hikari frozen blood worms and brine shrimp. I was in contact with the NLS rep and he says that the color enhancer would not make the face change color.

Thats funny because a color enhancer will allow a fish to express color anywhere possible. No NLS Rep is gonna say "Yup its our fish food, you may want to stop using it". That's a total loss to them as you will stop using the product. Something to think about.....;)

Eddie

hmccsal
08-02-2009, 03:57 PM
True, true. They seem to really enjoy the pellets and flakes so I guess I will have to see what other food I can find for them and see if that is the problem. Thanks, Eddie.

Daniella
08-02-2009, 05:41 PM
My importer said that they can change color with time and age or condition. Yellow is prettier though :) Mine is all red with a yellow face and I choosed it for this feature as other had withe face. So far it has not changed over 5 months.

I do not give any food that has coloration in it. I give beefheart, white worms and moskito larvea. Occasionaly she eats frozen bloodworms but that's rare.

I adopted a white face melon(maybe) and have had it for about 2 months. It has grown about 1 inch and its face has now gone yellow. My question is can white faced melons change to yellow faced melons as they mature? Thanks for any information and I will try to get some pics on of it soon.

hmccsal
08-03-2009, 01:48 AM
Heres the before and now pics. Sorry about the bad photography.

Patr1ck
08-03-2009, 02:02 AM
The tank its in now seems darker. Have you made a change in the tank to make it darker. That might be the problem as it is trying to blend in as best as it can.

Pat

Daniella
08-03-2009, 10:23 AM
I think the fish is just maturing into this yellow face one. The yellow face have white face when young and the color develop with time at least that,s what the importer told me. He/she looks very similar to mine. In the tank there were some with the white face and some with a yellower face but they were all from the same brood.

I know it's not what you want to hear and it's a matter of personal taste but I find the look on the second pic to be much prettier :)

here is a photo of mine:

http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/112505373

Heres the before and now pics. Sorry about the bad photography.

hmccsal
08-03-2009, 05:38 PM
The tank its in now seems darker. Have you made a change in the tank to make it darker. That might be the problem as it is trying to blend in as best as it can.

Pat

The first one was when it was in the 20 gallon quarantine with a 18 watt compact taken during the day.The second one is in the 30 gallon hex with a 30 watt florescent taken last night. Which could be the major difference in lighting but I did change the light as well to no avail.

hmccsal
08-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Soon enough they will all be in the 75 planted tank. If its face stays yellow thats okay as long as its healthy and happy. Thanks for all the replies!:)

Daniella
08-03-2009, 07:13 PM
No matter what color of face, it's a very beautiful fish and you are right, the important thing is that it is healthy. That's a very cute fish.

How far apart were the 2 pics taken?

Soon enough they will all be in the 75 planted tank. If its face stays yellow thats okay as long as its healthy and happy. Thanks for all the replies!:)

hmccsal
08-03-2009, 11:59 PM
About 6 weeks in difference. Once I get the cichlids out of the 75 and in the 225, I will measure everyone and see how much they have grown. I have recently added 2 red turqs as well. I cant wait to sit down and take some real pics of them all!

Patr1ck
08-04-2009, 01:26 AM
The first one was when it was in the 20 gallon quarantine with a 18 watt compact taken during the day.The second one is in the 30 gallon hex with a 30 watt florescent taken last night. Which could be the major difference in lighting but I did change the light as well to no avail.

What I mean about being darker has to do with the substrate and the background. Was the first tank lighter in those areas?

Pat

Daniella
08-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Ok in 6 weeks a fish can change its color quite a bit as it mature.

Looking forward to see your photos :)

About 6 weeks in difference. Once I get the cichlids out of the 75 and in the 225, I will measure everyone and see how much they have grown. I have recently added 2 red turqs as well. I cant wait to sit down and take some real pics of them all!

hmccsal
08-04-2009, 10:03 AM
What I mean about being darker has to do with the substrate and the background. Was the first tank lighter in those areas?

Pat

Both have sand but the background on the 20 is a light pine tongue and groove wall and the 30 has a light blue wall. I do have pictures of the fish in the 30 with a white face, it just recently in the last 2 weeks changed to the yellow and I havent changed anything that recently.

Eddie
08-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Its fine, just from the food, guarantee it. 2 weeks is plenty of time to bring out color in fish.

Eddie

captain morgan
08-10-2009, 10:24 AM
I also bought 2 white faced melons- they came from a large group in a BB tank, since adding them to my planted tank with dark substrate and dark background, one has had their face stay as white as the day I got them with no peppering, the other has turned very yellow just like yours and has gotten quite a bit of peppering to his face and body. Same fish, in the same tank, eating the same food, but a different outcome. Dont mind the yellow face at all, rather pretty, just hate the pepper. Changed out my black flourite substrate to white silica sand 2 weeks ago for a brighter looking tank, have not seen any pepper on 2 of my fish that have pepper- disappear, still debating changing the background to something brighter to see if that will clear the pepper up. Sure love the look of the tank that the new white sand has brought to it, hope my plants will do OK in it.

poconogal
08-10-2009, 10:32 AM
I have a Super RM with yellow face. Her face was a clear, bright yellow when I bought her as a sub-adult. After she began eating Tetra Color Bits, her face changed to a more orangey yellow, so color enhancers in the food can have a definite bearing on the face color.