PDA

View Full Version : Will Discus Kaa-Chinggg rummy nose?

discus_newbie
07-31-2009, 11:43 AM
Have anyone here has discus that Kaa-Chingg rummy nose before? I mean that eat the whole fish or fatally damage it. I'm thinking about a small school of rummy for my tank

rickztahone
07-31-2009, 01:04 PM
kaa-chinggg title. yes, discus are known to eat tetras

darbex
07-31-2009, 02:41 PM
Never seen it happen. I have two types of tetras in my tank with no problems.

DonMD
07-31-2009, 03:51 PM
I have 10 6-in discus in a 125 gal tank, along with about 8 cardinal tetras, and about 20 rummy nose. No problems anywhere. Everybody happy!:p

discus_newbie
08-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Thats good news. :D

Scribbles
08-01-2009, 03:13 AM
It depends on the discus. If it can fit in their mouth it is a potential snack.

Chris

DiscusKev
08-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Well IMO if you introduce both party of fish together when they were young then they can be kept together.

poconogal
08-03-2009, 05:58 PM
I have Rummies and had Cardinals until they died, of old age, and my Discus could care less about the little fish. Others have Discus that do eat their little fish, LOL!!! After a suitable QT period, I would add the Rummies to your Discus tank at night, when the lights go out, to give them the best chance and so that they are not so noticeable as soon as they are added to the tank.

TankWatcher
08-03-2009, 07:37 PM
I've been lucky & my discus ignore all fish that aren't discus. My rummy's & cardinals have never been attacked. Recently I added some floating plants on which some eggs must have hitchiked into the tank. The eggs hatched & the 2 discus they share with ignored the tiny free swimming fry, who are now maybe 6 weeks old.

I've read other's that say their discus eat the little fish overnight, so it might depend on the individual discus. I've been lucky.

Mr Wild
08-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Yep mine eat them started with 20 got nil now and I saw them attack as well so I know it was them.

TankWatcher
08-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Hey Kath, I was waiting for you to chime in ;) It was you I was thinking of when I said:

"I've read other's that say their discus eat the little fish overnight"

That's a real shame, as since I added my rummys in April, they are my favourite non discus fish in the tank. They school really well & make a nice picture in the tank.

Before the rummys, I've had adult cardinal tetras & harley rasboras in there for a very long time. You see, my planted tank was a community tank long BEFORE it was ever a discus tank.

discus_newbie, only thing I can suggest is to add one or two & then sit back & watch for about a month before you add the rest. That's how I did it & how I would still do it if I were to add them to another tank, where I don't know how the adult discus will act. So far, I know that 2 out of the 3 tanks ignore little fish.

Eddie
08-04-2009, 07:31 AM
Its funny too because some people advise to feed the discus more or more often. Is there a single person that feeds their fish more than me? My fish still devoured them suckers and also ate a panda cory. :D LOL

Edie

TankWatcher
08-04-2009, 06:44 PM
and also ate a panda cory :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Eddie
08-04-2009, 08:23 PM
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Yup Robyn, a while back Hans mentioned he put some baby ABN Plecos in a tank and they were killed too. :(

Eddie

TankWatcher
08-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Wow, my discus must be of the very placid type. They didn't even attempt to eat these tiny fry (born in their tank). Fry were smaller than they look in the pic. Because they were moving & my camera can't cope with even the slightest movement, the fry were somewhat elongated in the shots. The fry didn't have anyone guarding them either - but the discus couldn't care less & the fry are now some 10 weeks old.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/74G%20280L%20Wild%20Discus%20Tank/000_1142-1.jpg http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/74G%20280L%20Wild%20Discus%20Tank/000_1139-1.jpg

Jhhnn
08-14-2009, 09:52 PM
I really have no experience in this, but I suspect that adult discus may be less predatory than sub-adults. I say this because my near mature blue scorps don't attack food the way they did when they were smaller, but my RSxAF teenagers are very aggressive towards anything that might be food, just like the scorps were when younger... I'd want very long odds to bet on the survival of any small fish in their tank...