PDA

View Full Version : 40 gallon tank

DiscusKeeper403
08-05-2009, 12:00 PM
I am considering buying a used 40 gallon breeder from my work (built new store, selling old tanks dirt cheap.) I don't want to buy it unless it is a waste, as I hate haveing more then one tank, it makes my room look so cluttered lol. Not 100% sure on dimensions but I belive it is a breeder. It is definitley 3ft long. Would keeping 5 Discus in it with a simple sponge filter be a bad idea? Would they become stunted? I probably wouldn't switch them into my 90g so it would be a perminant residence.

Thanks,

Connor

Eddie
08-05-2009, 12:05 PM
I am considering buying a used 40 gallon breeder from my work (built new store, selling old tanks dirt cheap.) I don't want to buy it unless it is a waste, as I hate haveing more then one tank, it makes my room look so cluttered lol. Not 100% sure on dimensions but I belive it is a breeder. It is definitley 3ft long. Would keeping 5 Discus in it with a simple sponge filter be a bad idea? Would they become stunted? I probably wouldn't switch them into my 90g so it would be a perminant residence.

Thanks,

Connor

How many fish do you have in the 90?

I'd get it, but thats me, I could fill every space in my house with tanks, if the wife wouldn't break my legs. Go for it man, just maintain water quality and grow them out nicely!

Eddie

DiscusKeeper403
08-05-2009, 12:08 PM
How many fish do you have in the 90?

I'd get it, but thats me, I could fill every space in my house with tanks, if the wife wouldn't break my legs. Go for it man, just maintain water quality and grow them out nicely!

Eddie

Thanks for the reply Eddie.

Yeah I'll probably have to get it then! As long as they won't get stunted in it thats my main concern. Only have 5 fish in the 90 at the moment but plan to fill that up too!

Cooldadddyfunk286
08-05-2009, 12:16 PM
heyy, I use a 40 gal breeder tank for 5 discus, everything is just fine!!! my pigeon, BS, penang, wild X, and LFS tiger turk are all chillin together. they are growing up nicely, all are sub adults aside for stunted turk. growing just fine IMO. go for it!

Cooldadddyfunk286
08-05-2009, 12:17 PM
gotta also remember a 40 gal breeder holds about 48 gallons of water...so its really not much smaller than my 55 gal...i mean its not as long and tall...but its twice as deep.

mikel
08-05-2009, 12:18 PM
I grew out my BDs in the 40 breeder. In fact, it's the only tank I have currently in use. I have a 40 regular in the basement that is calling my name. The breeder dimension is excellent because it is relatively shallow with a huge swimming space and water surface for gas exchange. I have four 6+ inches BD in there, and two are spawning. I use one Emperor Bio Wheel 500, an airstone and a heater with the BB tank. I discard 60% of the water through the syphon out my front door to the rose garden every morning. Prime and warm city tap water go back in, and these fishies are huge and highly personable. So your 5 can definitely work, so long as you feed small frequent meals, and change the water everyday. The water change and the food are the key; Discus can be crammed to a reasonable extent if you take care of the water quality and feed good food (I use Al's wonder BH mix along with Eddie's seafood mix...see food section for recipe). Mike:)

DiscusKeeper403
08-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies!! I had no idea it held 48 gallons of water. Hopefully I can it the tank sorted out and everything. Have a little money left over from vacation that I need to burn through lol. Already made a batch of Eddie's seafood mix, slightly modified :p my fish love it!! I would plan my regular feeding/water change regime on this tank, so 5 feedings a day and normally a 100% w/c daily (been slacking a little since summer started.)

Eddie
08-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Already made a batch of Eddie's seafood mix, slightly modified :p my fish love it!!

Dude, I am lucky if I ever make the same mix twice. LOL Everybody has a spin off to their spin off. LOL

Take care Connor and have fun with the 40!

Eddie

DiscusKeeper403
08-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! I just have to figure out what I am going to stock it with now! I was thinking BKs, I know they have the potential to get huge! Maybe after a point I will have to switch a few fish and get them into the 90, if I chose this route.

Bgroovy2
08-06-2009, 12:17 AM
I love my 40Gal tank. It's a great size for a small house. I got mine two years ago and it has been one of the most enjoyable tanks I have ever had!