PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on substrate

DiscusOnly
08-05-2009, 10:49 PM
I've decided to do a non BB tank this time as most of my discus are over 1 years old.

I am debating on putting sand on this tank. I have it on my other semi planted tank but I am not sure how it will look with these branches.

Should I bunch up the branches closer together or leave it spread out. I will build a stand to put the tank up another 10" off the ground. In case I want to add 2 40 breeder on the bottom, it won't be too low.

Eddie
08-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Gorgeous tank Van, I like the look of the branches now. Also, its hard to decide on a substrate really, I kind of like the bareness of it. Not that I am a barebottom tank only kind of guy but it looks good just like that. :o

Take care and best of luck with everything!

Eddie

DiscusOnly
08-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Thanks Eddie. It only cost me $100 without the wood.

If I leave it like that, what would you recommend for plants? I want a bit of green in there.

I can't wait to put the discus in there this weekend.

Van

Eddie
08-05-2009, 11:11 PM
$100! Man, that is a flipping dream! A tank like that here in Okinawa, over $2000!

If you wanted to add some green, maybe tie off some anubias to areas on the branches, that would do I think. The tank is set-up so clean and simple. Love it!

Eddie

bs6749
08-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Van, I like the wood that you have in the tank, but I think that you should bunch it up more and put more in one corner leaving some swimming room in the middle of the tank.

The kinds of plants you can have will be determined by the available lighting and nutrients. Also many plants do better in temps lower than what discus prefer. Some plants will also require a nutrient rich substrate and those are generally darker colored.

I say add some pool filter sand to that tank and then "sprinkle" some larger stones here and there on the surface to give it a more "natural look" that I think you already have a great start at. I think it would go best with that wood.

Eddie
08-06-2009, 12:06 AM
What type of Discus are you putting in there Van?

Eddie

DiscusOnly
08-06-2009, 07:03 AM
I have pool filter sand in my other semi planted but I don't like the result so far. Plants are doing just OK and I have the toughest time keep them down. I just got a co2 setup but not install. I can use it on this tank or both with a few additional pieces.

Eddie: I am going to put a few of Albino golden, BD, RGD, Turq in this tank. All discus will be 5"+ I like to use this tank to give my discus an opportunity to "pair" up.

Eddie
08-06-2009, 07:17 AM
I have pool filter sand in my other semi planted but I don't like the result so far. Plants are doing just OK and I have the toughest time keep them down. I just got a co2 setup but not install. I can use it on this tank or both with a few additional pieces.

Eddie: I am going to put a few of Albino golden, BD, RGD, Turq in this tank. All discus will be 5"+ I like to use this tank to give my discus an opportunity to "pair" up.

I really like the way the branches are set-up now as the fish will be weaving through them. Something I like to see so its a personal preference.

Take care Van!

Don Trinko
08-06-2009, 07:52 AM
I have gravel in 2 discus tanks and sand in 2 others. The "crud" tends to stay on top of the sand so it is obvious that it needs cleaning. On the gravel it sinks in so you don't see it so you need to clean the gravel even if it looks fine. All IMO; Don T.

DiscusOnly
08-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Don,

How do you keep the roots down on the tank with sand? My larger swords took hold of the sand (after 2 months) but I can't keep any smaller plants down. Maybe it's my pleco that is the problem. The background is black so I do need some green for contrast.

Mr Wild
08-06-2009, 08:42 AM
I have sand and anubias on driftwood and a large planter box at the back with plants in it, then I have just lent a piece of driftwood at the front of the planter box to hide it a bit.

It works!

bs6749
08-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Van, I'd use lead weights on the roots to keep them down. Just wrap them around and hide them under the sand.

ashaysathe
08-06-2009, 12:21 PM
I have sand and anubias on driftwood and a large planter box at the back with plants in it, then I have just lent a piece of driftwood at the front of the planter box to hide it a bit.

It works!

Man.. how coincidental. I have exact same setup. Sand, wood, rocks and discus. Works gr8, looks gr8, maintenance is gr8. Excellent

pcsb23
08-06-2009, 12:37 PM
I'd go with sand :) white or light coloured

DiscusKev
08-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Looking great there, I'm sure you will be proud of the final result.

tcyiu
08-06-2009, 07:09 PM
I don't mean to go against Eddie, but I am with Bryan. My opinion is that it looks unnatural when the branches are evenly spaced out. A little bit more randomness would look better. Just an opinion.

As for lighter coloured sand, I expressed some disappointment with my white sand set up. Eddie was right in that after 3 weeks, my fish settled down and all the colours came back. But the red turqs now show a lot more orange/yellow from the chin down to the belly. Their throats almost glow.

But your fish should do really well on lighter substrate.

Tim

Don Trinko
08-06-2009, 08:16 PM
My plants are all fake! That is the only kind I can keep green. Don T.

bs6749
08-06-2009, 08:29 PM
I like the idea of the fish being able to weave in and out, but I think what I was trying to say was what Tim mentioned about the "even spacing" of them. I was thinking that they could still be able to swim through a "clump" as I described, and I also thought that may help them to feel more secure by giving them something to hide behind.

You might want to consider some vals for plants if you want a planted tank. They grow tall and skinny and might help the discus feel more secure as well.

DiscusOnly
08-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks for all the input so far.

I am thinking that I am leaning toward using sand again for this tank. I may lay a level of substrates for the first 1.5 inch.

As for the wood, I do think that they are a little "too even". I may take out a few pieces and just have a little less. I can't have them too close together cause it will be tough for some of these discus to "weave" through. These are all adults. I am also not too concern about having space for them to hide. Most of my discus are on BB and they are not shy.

I am going to be working on building a platform to raise the tank. Not sure how high to go yet but I like the bottom of the tank to be around 40" off the ground.

tcyiu
08-06-2009, 08:49 PM
My plants are all fake! That is the only kind I can keep green. Don T.

You and me both. My tombstone should read "I can't even keep Anubias alive" LOL

Yeah. Even when clumped, it's nice when there's room for them to slip in. Sort of a treehouse, but under water.

I just thought of something. Anyway to re-create the look of the flooded rain forest with those branches? That would be cool

Tim