PDA

View Full Version : Co2 needed for this type of planted tank?

seancj
08-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Hello all.
Well, I'm contemplating a significant change in my discus/planted tank design and may try to emulate the tank seen below. The simplicity and elegance of it really grabs my attention. I think the several blue diamond and several snow whites I have coming in a week or so would look great in a tank like this and be very relaxing to watch.

My question is; Can I grow the type of plants seen in the photo without the addition of pressurized Co2 or dosing Flourish Excel twice a week? Forgive me, but I'm still trying to learn about low light/low tech plant species. What is the name of the plants in the photo?
My lighting can consist of metal halides or simply HO T5's as I have both on hand.
Thank you all again for putting up with me!
http://www.blueaquarium.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/jan/adg1/adg1_2.jpg

darbex
08-06-2009, 05:30 PM
I am unsure of the plant in the pic. But my guess from looking at it is to get the full effect you will need CO2 or dose with Excel. I would also suggest dosing daily with Excel if you go that route.

GrillMaster
08-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Thank you all again for putting up with me!

Thanks for puttin up with us!! ;) :D :D :D

It looks like Blyxa to me. The shorter plants between the rocks anyways. The taller ones not to sure. With your lighting I would advise you to inject c02. I would go with the T-5's. Just not enough plants for the hallides IMO. IME...Blyxa needs good light and c02 injection. I tried it with excel and 2 WPG with no luck.

hth