PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use these in planted tanks?

Patr1ck
08-07-2009, 04:25 AM
Does anyone use sponge filters in planted tanks? If so, could you post some pics if you have them? Im concerned with the aesthetics. It would really help me lower the temp in the tank in the summer here if I went with them.

Thanks,
Pat

Daniella
08-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Just a question but how could it help you lower the temperature?

If that is enough to lower the tank temperature, I am guessing an airstone would be even better and easier to conceal?

Does anyone use sponge filters in planted tanks? If so, could you post some pics if you have them? Im concerned with the aesthetics. It would really help me lower the temp in the tank in the summer here if I went with them.

Thanks,
Pat

Consigliere
08-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Too much surface agitation with sponges if you are injecting CO2, otherwise I see no reason why you couldn't use them.

GrillMaster
08-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Please dont use sponge filters in a planted tank!! Looks real odd and wont really help cool down the tank either.

Patr1ck
08-08-2009, 03:22 AM
In refrence to cooling down the tank, I guess it would have been better stated as: using sponge filters would not warm the tank as much, because they would be replacing 2 canisters and 2 powerheads all of which add heat to the tank. Last summer I didnt have one of the canisters or either of the powerheads and the tank temp was 84 this summer it is 90 the plants dont seem to like the higher temps so much not to mention the electricity that I could save. No co2 is being used either. Keep the thoughts coming.

Thanks,
Pat

H&K.45
08-12-2009, 03:52 AM
ever thought about useing some HOB filters?

Patr1ck
08-12-2009, 04:03 AM
ever thought about useing some HOB filters?

Yes, I used to use a marineland penguin 350. The problem is that they wont work with inline heaters. I love the look of a tank without a heater in it.

Pat

Harriett
08-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Is there a canopy on your tank? If so, heat collects a little from equipment and a lot from lights in the warm weather anbd reflects right back into the water..if you set up a small fan system under the canopy to pull heat away from the canopy area [either ad lib or get one designed for this use], it would help cool the tank. There are emergency tips youcan use if there is a hetwave spell, like freezing liter or 2 liter plastic water filled bottles and floating them in the tank. When thawed, throwback inthe freezer and use another frozen one. You could set up your light hours for the evening/night hours when the ambient temps are cooler and that would help also.
I use actual sponge filter foam cylinders as prefilters in my planted and BB tanks. They are big boys but they do a great job and keep the canisters far cleaner. When I set one up in a planted tank, I can hide the prefilters pretty well with taller broader plants plants--I just figure that into my aquascaping plans. Need to be able to easily pull the foam for rinsing, so I don't box it in with wood or rocks.
Best regards,
Harriett

Patr1ck
08-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks everybody for the ideas.

Pat

Innivus
08-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Pat, I want to say there are actually some HOB filters with a heater in them. I took a quick look online and couldn't find any, but I think a better search might yield something. Just a thought.

cyberhog05
08-12-2009, 08:22 PM
I think hydor has the heaters in the HOB filters. yep thermo filter is what its called. For small tanks though.