PDA

View Full Version : sally

lpiasente
08-07-2009, 05:41 PM
As you all know I have a headstanding discus called Sally ( my bewdiful girl) She currently lives in a 120 litre tank with 2 very very very stunted discus and has done now for probably six months I have tried to add another large discus before and she beats the absolute bag out of them as she is HUGE the biggest discus I have ever seen. She is as big as a bread and butter plate and as thick as she is big. I have a 450 litre tank as well with 8 adult discus in it and I would like for Sally to have more room to move around. She does swim quite well, very oddly but quite well but at resting she stands on her head. Do you think I should try and put her in the big tank or should I leave here where she is? Will the other fish give her a hard time because she swims so funny?

Cooldadddyfunk286
08-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Im not sure, but I'd love to see a pic of Sally, she sounds like a MONSTER! :D

lpiasente
08-07-2009, 08:08 PM
She is a monster and a very beautiful looking one at that. It really is a shame that she has this problem. It is hard to get a photo of her as she never is in a still position always wobblying around. Oh a thought I could get a video of her. Ok I am busy this weekend but I will see what I can do through the week.

Jhhnn
08-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Seems to me that Sally can probably hold her own. In a tank w/ 8 or 9 discus, the aggression gets spread around pretty evenly, at least in my tanks. Nobody gets pounded, and nobody escapes entirely, either...

My smallest fish is pretty scrappy, for example, and seems to take particular delight in blind-siding the largest most dominant fish whenever the occasion arises...

Scribbles
08-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Sounds like she is quite bold. Try it and see what happens. You can always move her back to the smaller tank. Good luck.

Chris

lpiasente
08-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Ok I will give it a try. It sounds so rediculous but I feel so protective of her that I don't want to upset her in any way or for her to get hurt. It really isn't an option to get a bigger tank as I was going to as the water changes would double from what I already do and then I would start and not enjoy having my discus. ohhhh so nervous. I will do it next weekend when I have the time to watch her.
Thanks
Leanne

lpiasente
08-12-2009, 06:59 PM
I did it and I can already see this is not an option. The poor girl can't even get to the bottom of the tank as this is 2ft high and her other tank is standard 18". I added food and she went as fast as her little fins could carry her but there is no way she can compete for food. So back home she goes. Funny the little stunted fish have done nothing but hide sice I have taken her out. I am sure they will be happy to have her home.

Scribbles
08-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Sorry that it didn't work out, but the little guys will be happy to have their protector back. With Sally's limited mobility she may well be happier in a smaller tank.

Chris