PDA

View Full Version : How much salt usually?

lizandcourtney
08-08-2009, 11:59 AM
I've been reading that keeping a small amount of salt in the tank on an everyday basis is good for the fish...however, I'm not sure if that applies to Discus as well? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Liz:)

Eddie
08-08-2009, 12:02 PM
I've been reading that keeping a small amount of salt in the tank on an everyday basis is good for the fish...however, I'm not sure if that applies to Discus as well? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

No salt

Eddie

Jhhnn
08-08-2009, 01:56 PM
I think it depends on your local tap water. Here in Denver, salinity out of the tap is quite low. My fish seem to be calmer and less prone to being jumpy, bolting en masse, if I add some salt, not more than 1 tbsp/ 25gal, usually half that...

It also give them some small bit of protection against nitrite poisoning if the biofilters were to get out of kilter.

YMMV, of course, and I'm sure there are as many opinions as there are discus keepers...

Don Trinko
08-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Most do not add salt unless there is a specific reason.
In the old days salt was used a lot for diseases. Now we have modern medicine for out discus.
Nitrite poisoning protection is the only thing I can think of the salt works well for. All IMO; Don T.

diamond_discus
08-08-2009, 06:17 PM
I was told that aquarium salt can be used for new fish, to reduce stress.
2 teaspoons for each 10 gallons .. After you new fishes settles down in your tank and environment, then you don't need keep salt in the tank.

Eddie
08-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Right, salt is used for specific reasons only.

No salt

Eddie

Bgroovy2
08-09-2009, 04:17 AM
I agree with you on this one Eddie. I only use salt if I have a reason too, hate salt creep!! For instance, last month my disc cut opened the front of his head and had a big gash, so I treated with salt to aid healing.

alpine
08-09-2009, 11:18 AM
"Usually " No Salt.

Roberto.

atorres
08-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Why not? How does salt negatively affect a discus aquarium?
Thanks
Angel

kaceyo
08-09-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm in the "no salt" unless treating something group. If your want to add minerals, use calcium/magnesium.

Kacey

Eddie
08-10-2009, 01:39 AM
Why not? How does salt negatively affect a discus aquarium?
Thanks
Angel

Actually, I don't know if I would say that it is negative but you do have more slime production, thus increasing build up on tank surfaces and anything in the tank. If you neglect to wipe everything often, bacteria can definitely begin to get out of control. ;)

Eddie

jaykne
08-10-2009, 01:56 AM
From what I know, from reading and advice salt is not really good for discus, unless like the others said you are treating somthing, I know most other fish it is good to add salt when you do water changes but not disus, just like another one is carbon. Larry

lizandcourtney
08-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Wow, thanks everyone for your input. I see the there are differing opinions, but the most common one is no salt unless you are treating an ill or injured fish. I'd just as soon not use salt. Makes water changes just a little easier. :D

Liz

Bgroovy2
08-19-2009, 04:52 AM

Thanks,

I looked at my prevoius post and realized I never really answered your question. I don't use salt unless I need too, but when I do, I dose heavy. 1 Tbls perr five gals.