PDA

View Full Version : Long time lurker...First time poster.

uncle white
08-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Hello everyone! What a fantastic site! THANKS to all those involved in setting it up and maintaining it. I had two discus in a 60 gal. tank about 15 years ago. They were about 4" and were sold back to the LFS where I got them when I got rid of all my tanks. I had them about six months. My Mother first got me started with aquariums at a young age, we always had tanks growing up. So I do know some about keeping fish. I've been reading on here for about a month. After recently being put out of work by my job moving to Mexico, I have ALOT of free time on my hands and usually read here a couple times daily till my eyeballs are about to bleed. Already have one notebook almost filled with notes. I was gonna get a few books, but since I found SD I think I'll wait on any books. Might go ahead and get "Discus Health" by Dieter Untergasser, looks like a good source of info. I can get it for $27 shipped.
OK, so here's my plan moving forward, continue reading and learning about discus here and elsewheres. Hopefully go to visit a breeder, I have two with both being about 2 hours from me. I was thinking of offering my time to help them out with daily chores if they would let me hang around a few days and educate me along the way. Don't know if anyone will go for this but I will try. Heck if anyone wants to come help me pull weeds in the garden, I'll teach you about growing GIANT watermelons.:D During my readings and education processes I will set up a area for raising me up some juvies. I'll outline that set up in another post as this one has grown quite long...Look forward to picking everyones brain and making new friends here.

Disgirl
08-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Welcome to SD Uncle White! You will surely enjoy your time here and learn so much besides making new friends. Can't begin to tell you how much I have learned already. By the way, I have the Discus Health book for sale. Look in the Buy sell trade section here. Maybe I can help you. We all will be looking for your posts about this great hobby!
Barb :D

calihawker
08-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Welcome to SD! I too have learned a great deal since coming here. Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.:)

Eddie
08-11-2009, 04:08 AM
Welcome! There is not a more informative site on Discus than Simply. Plus you'll make a lot of good friends, and maybe some enemy's too LOL, just kidding. :D

Wish you the best with everything and glad to meet you!

Eddie

Mr Wild
08-11-2009, 05:21 AM
Hello and welcome!

Elite Aquaria
08-11-2009, 06:39 AM
Uncle White,

Welcome to Simply...I am originally from Ohio and remember seeing those huge watermelons at the fair...;)

uncle white
08-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Barb, Steve-O, Kath, Thanks for the welcome :wave:! Nice to meet you also Eddie, I have read MANY of your post on here, My niece just got back from Japan, she went with a group of smart kids. (I never got to hang out with those smart ones when I was in school.) She stayed with a traditional family for three days and now I think has a better respect for the Japenese.
Dan, Thanks for your welcome also. I've been to Ohio to a Giant Pumpkin seminar, (yes they even have siminars on those.) in Canton I believe. I currently hold the record for biggest watermelon ever grown in Indiana. Anyone care to guess the weight? I'll give the person closest to the weight a free ballon such as this one :balloon: LOL... I'm getting ready to post a few questions up for my first information request on a few things, take a look and help me out if you can...THANKS! uncle white

Eddie
08-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Barb, Steve-O, Kath, Thanks for the welcome :wave:! Nice to meet you also Eddie, I have read MANY of your post on here, My niece just got back from Japan, she went with a group of smart kids. (I never got to hang out with those smart ones when I was in school.) She stayed with a traditional family for three days and now I think has a better respect for the Japenese.
Dan, Thanks for your welcome also. I've been to Ohio to a Giant Pumpkin seminar, (yes they even have siminars on those.) in Canton I believe. I currently hold the record for biggest watermelon ever grown in Indiana. Anyone care to guess the weight? I'll give the person closest to the weight a free ballon such as this one :balloon: LOL... I'm getting ready to post a few questions up for my first information request on a few things, take a look and help me out if you can...THANKS! uncle white

I am sure somebody on here can help you out UW, ask away. ;)

Take care,

Eddie