PDA

View Full Version : EHEIM Jager Heater Question

bs6749
08-10-2009, 08:42 PM
For those of you with Jager heaters in your tanks, what wattages are you using? I am looking to get some heaters and I came across some information that said the 150W Jagers were rated for tanks up to 60 gallons. This seemed odd to me because of the 3-5 watts per gallon rule for heaters, but maybe they are more efficient. Can anyone give me some advice on them? I am going to need heaters for 29g tanks and 55g tanks so maybe someone could recommend a heater size for each. I was planning on going with 150W and 250W Jagers for the 29g and 55g tanks respectively but maybe that is overkill. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Chad Hughes
08-10-2009, 08:50 PM
I don't use anything less than a 250 in any tank 29 gallons and higher. Once I hit the triple digit tanks (100 gal +) I use 250 or 300 X 2. The price difference is hardly worth skimping on a smaller heater IMO.

Best wishes!

bs6749
08-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Chad, I know what you are saying but I have heard that having "too much heater" in a tank is actually bad for the heater and causes it to wear faster. Something to do with a thermocoupler or something. I only keep one heater to a tank that is 4ft long or less and 5-6ft long tanks get 2 heaters and I split the wattage. I have a Stealth 250W in my 29g tank and that baby can cook if I want it to! I'm thinking that there might be something to what I am inquiring about, since the Jagers are made up to 250W and a 29g tank isn't that big. Seems like it's overkill for this model of heater.

I'm seeing more and more recommendations saying that if I were to go with a Jager I would want a less power consuming model. The basement that I have the tanks in shouldn't get below 60 in the Winter, and that's before I even put up any insulation and plastic sheeting to enclose the tanks, which I will do when that time comes. I may even wrap the tanks. Just trying to figure out what I need for heaters.

j_li8
08-10-2009, 11:03 PM
In my 50gal I'm currently using a 250w and it holds the temp right on the money at 86F. For my 20gal and 30gal I use 100w or 150w in either tank and that too holds where I want it at. All tanks currently aren't insulated either.

Eddie
08-11-2009, 03:45 AM
Jagers run hot and get HOT fast. I use 150s on my 29s and double up 200s or 250s on my 55s.

Eddie

HHaley
08-11-2009, 06:35 AM
I’m using a Jager heater in my 90G tank. I thought the rule was 2 watts per gal and purchased the 200W version but found that in order to maintain a constant 82 F temperature, I needed to have the heater set at 86 to 87.

After two weeks, I suspected something was wrong with the heater and returned it to the store where I purchased it. They gladly exchanged it for a Jager 250 W version however I still need to set the heater slightly higher to get the water temperature at 82 F.

These heaters do have a way to adjust the setting scale so that once the appropriate temperature is reached, you can rotate the scale to align it with the current temperature.

I’m starting to think two 150W heaters on either end would probably be better.

Eddie
08-12-2009, 05:06 AM
I’m using a Jager heater in my 90G tank. I thought the rule was 2 watts per gal and purchased the 200W version but found that in order to maintain a constant 82 F temperature, I needed to have the heater set at 86 to 87.

After two weeks, I suspected something was wrong with the heater and returned it to the store where I purchased it. They gladly exchanged it for a Jager 250 W version however I still need to set the heater slightly higher to get the water temperature at 82 F.

These heaters do have a way to adjust the setting scale so that once the appropriate temperature is reached, you can rotate the scale to align it with the current temperature.

I’m starting to think two 150W heaters on either end would probably be better.

Actually, on a 90, I would use 2 X 250s.

Eddie

Jhhnn
08-12-2009, 08:52 PM
In my 50gal I'm currently using a 250w and it holds the temp right on the money at 86F. For my 20gal and 30gal I use 100w or 150w in either tank and that too holds where I want it at. All tanks currently aren't insulated either.

That parallels my own experience, and the normal recommendation of 3-5w/gal. Discus keepers tend towards the high end, because of higher temps, while cooler tanks can have smaller heaters. All heaters are 100% efficient, btw- whatever electricity consumed becomes heat. Oversize heaters can easily cook your fish if they stick on, raising the temp rather rapidly. On a theoretical level, they'll also operate at a wider differential than smaller heaters because they have more latent heat.

Using insulation board on the back, bottom and sides of the tanks is a good idea, reducing energy consumption both summer and winter. It also keeps the tanks warmer longer in the event of a power failure.

Calibrating the new blue Jagers is easy. Set it to the desired temp, let it run for a day. Check the actual water temp with an accurate thermometer once the temp is stabilized and the heater has been cycling on and off. Unplug the heater, remove it from the tank, if the calibration is incorrect. Using a pair of pliers, pull out on the button in the top of the heater. The blue ring should now rotate freely. Turn it until the pointer indicates the actual temp of the water. Firmly push the button back into the housing. Now rotate the blue ring to set the pointer on the temp you want. Put it to work back in the tank. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries/days to get it right...