PDA

View Full Version : fish excreating slime coat and not eating

m.ingram
08-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Hi this is my first post here wish it was in a different catagory though but hopefully someone might be able to help me out.

I bought a new fish a week and a half ago.I put it into my qt tank {with a couple of others i had in qt}i noticed that the new one was doing clear poo so i treated with prazi.Its all been down hill from there.Atfer 48 hours all the fish where black and excreating alot of slime coat i paniced and changed 90% of the water and put in tetracycline.After 2days of that i was advised to start doing 90% water changes daily and stop meds which i have done.
The new fish hasnt eaten since i bought her so im a bit worried about that tryed her on live brine shrimp and live black worm but not interested.
Even the fish in my main tank have
gone off there food a bit they dont attack the food when i but it into the tank.I have seen them excreating a little bit of slime coat but not as much as the others.
All my water perameters are good ph 6.5 both tanks nitrite 0 boh nitrate 0 qt and 5 main tank

m.ingram
08-11-2009, 12:53 AM
Just notice that one of
the fish in the qt tank has a white bit on its side it looks like the skin has been damaged.This isthe sickest one he is head at the top of the tank in the corner and is black as you can get.

Eddie
08-11-2009, 04:32 AM
Honestly, sounds like a bit of new discus disease. I would not have used the prazi for clear poo straight off the bat. Never medicate upon the first symptom unless it is an emergency.

Right now I'd say you were in the emergency mode.

1st
Remove the fish to suitable temporary container, anything such as a bucket, large tupperware or another tank. Make sure you know how many gallons of water they are in.

2nd
Prepare a salt solution to perform a dip at 2 tbsp per gallon of water (ex. if using a 5 gallon bucket for the fish temporary container, mix 10 tbsp of water in a shaker bottle with water). Have an airstone going in the bucket and don't have the water too warm. 80-82F is good IMO.

3rd
Do a 100% water change in the QT tank, add air and keep temp at 82F. Dose the tank with Quick Cure per directions on the bottle. Keep all lights off the tank.

4th
Pour the salt solution into the container with the fish and monitor them for up to 30 minutes. If any of the fish roll over, float onto thier sides, yank the fish out and place it into the QT tank.

Do a 3 day treatment of Quick Cure, doing a 50% water change before each daily dose. Be cautious of secondary infection, have a good gram negative anitibiotic on hand, acriflavine and plenty of table salt ( I use Morton non-iodized).

Best of luck!e

Eddie

m.ingram
08-11-2009, 05:08 AM
thanks for your advice i will let you know how i go. but one question what is quick cure as i live in australia and have never heard of it
Thanks very much Eddie cheers Mark

Eddie
08-11-2009, 05:15 AM
thanks for your advice i will let you know how i go. but one question what is quick cure as i live in australia and have never heard of it
Thanks very much Eddie cheers Mark

Sorry man, I thought you were in the states as you have the US flag on your profile.

Quick Cure is a Formalin & Malachite Green mixture. I am sure there is a similar product there in AU. Just ask the help for a combination medication that has both Formalin & Malachite Green in it. Can't remember the names of too many AU products but I know there is one with that combo.

All the best,

Eddie

m.ingram
08-11-2009, 06:26 AM
thanks for that i will see what i can get with them 2 ingredients.i will also see if i can change my flag.
thanks again

Eddie
08-11-2009, 09:13 AM
thanks for that i will see what i can get with them 2 ingredients.i will also see if i can change my flag.
thanks again

There you go, now I can see you are from AU. All the best of luck finding what you need.

Take care,

Eddie

Eddie
08-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Use this in the QT tank and follow the directions on the bottles. Still do all the steps I posted but use Sterazin in place of Quick Cure.

http://www.watergardeningdirect.com/acatalog/Waterlife-Aquarium-Fish-Treatments.html

Take care and best of luck!

Eddie

lpiasente
08-12-2009, 04:01 AM
Hi Eddie, mark is my brother and I told him you da man :D.
I have here 2 meds that sound like what you have mentioned and wanted to run them by you to see if any of them are what mark needs.
Fungus Ade
contains malachite green 1/mg/ml
formeldehyde solution1mg/ml
dehydroabietylamine acetate 0.24mg/ml
acriflavine 1mg/ml

ickaway
malachite green2.5mg/ml
archiflavine 0.5mg/ml
Cheers
leanne

Eddie
08-12-2009, 04:08 AM
Hi Eddie, mark is my brother and I told him you da man :D.
I have here 2 meds that sound like what you have mentioned and wanted to run them by you to see if any of them are what mark needs.
Fungus Ade
contains malachite green 1/mg/ml
formeldehyde solution1mg/ml
dehydroabietylamine acetate 0.24mg/ml
acriflavine 1mg/ml

ickaway
malachite green2.5mg/ml
archiflavine 0.5mg/ml
Cheers
leanne

I would use fungus ade, but be prepared for a possible break down of the fish. Have a good gram negative antibiotic on hand.

Take care and good luck,

Eddie

m.ingram
08-13-2009, 05:47 AM
Thanks alot Eddy i will follow your advice to the t.I have got everything i need now to start.I am starting the first step tonight.
Thanks again
Regards Mark
:)

Eddie
08-13-2009, 06:31 AM
Thanks alot Eddy i will follow your advice to the t.I have got everything i need now to start.I am starting the first step tonight.
Thanks again
Regards Mark

Best of luck Mark! ;)

Take care,

Eddie

m.ingram
08-17-2009, 06:03 AM
Hey Eddie

Here is a link to some photos of my discus in my display tank. They have got the same thing as the other ones I think(?).

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2920589&l=2165798e33&id=524267189

I gave them a salt dip on Saturday and have been treating them with sterazin following your instructions. Doing 3rd day treatment tonight.

One of my little discus looked close to death on Friday with this same problem so I thought I had nothing to lose with him so I put him in a different tank and dosed with Metro and now he seems to be OK. I think I may have been lucky with him though.

I am interested to know what you think, should I continue as I am doing, or be a bit more aggressive (double dose Sterazin??) I am very concerned that I am going to lose more fish so I am anxious to make sure I'm doing all I can.

Thanks for your help so far Eddie, I really appreciate it,

Regards,
Mark

Eddie
08-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Do all the fish look like that fish or is it just him? Hopefully he is on his own in a hospital tank??

Eddie

lpiasente
08-18-2009, 12:58 AM
posting for Mark as he is at work but unfortuantly all the fish look like him although he is by far the worst. When you click on the link for the photos there is a next arrow up the top and this will show you a few more photos. Eddie this is such a sad sight to see I feel ill for Mark.

Eddie
08-18-2009, 03:59 AM
posting for Mark as he is at work but unfortuantly all the fish look like him although he is by far the worst. When you click on the link for the photos there is a next arrow up the top and this will show you a few more photos. Eddie this is such a sad sight to see I feel ill for Mark.

No worries, get the fish in a hospital tank barebottom. Send me a PM, you or Mark. It will be fine.

Eddie

m.ingram
08-18-2009, 04:12 AM
Sorry i only posted one picture here is the link to the rest of the pictures.
3 of my fish look like this one the rest arent as bad but all 9 have got the disease . The worst 3 look like they are losing skin they are getting white patches on there sides . I havent got any other tanks left to treat these 9 in as the other tanks i have got the fish in them . And they are now clean on this problem .
I might have to pull down the main tank sterilise it and put the good ones in it and transfer the sick ones to the qt tank.
All fish still eat though even though they look really bad.
Thanks regards Mark,

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=116405&id=524267189&l=310a2dfe4c

Eddie
08-20-2009, 06:04 AM
Let's get some updates Mark. How are they fairing today?

Take care,
Eddie

m.ingram
08-21-2009, 04:53 AM
Sorry Eddie
I havent had time to give you an up date been working long hours at work . The fish are on the improve .The one in the picture which was the worst now has his fins up and is still dark but not as bad as he was just got a mark down his side like a white scar . All the others look at me like they want out of the small tank lol .

I have another problem with the one that introduced the disease she hasent eaten since i got her not that i have seen any way . Its been about 2 to 3 weeks in total . She came out of meds on Monday she still looks ok but a little worried about her. Whats do you think i should do ??
Thanks again
Regards Mark

m.ingram
08-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Forgot to ask how much longer should i be treating with tetrscycline and salt ??

Eddie
08-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Mark, the one that brought the disease, is she also going through the treatment? If so, don't even worry about feeding fish when treating as this is counterproductive IMO. You want superior water quality and uneaten food will foul the water. I would keep the tetracycline going for 10-12 days minimum. Keep the water temp low and make sure you have plenty of air going. ;)

Take care,

Eddie

m.ingram
08-21-2009, 11:02 PM
No the one that bought in the disease looks all clean nothing on her, really good colour . She came good after the salt dip first round of meds using the sterazin no secondary disease with her . She just hasnt eaten for nearly 3 weeks . She hasnt had meds in her tank since monday .

Eddie
08-21-2009, 11:05 PM
No the one that bought in the disease looks all clean nothing on her, really good colour . She came good after the salt dip first round of meds using the sterazin no secondary disease with her . She just hasnt eaten for nearly 3 weeks . She hasnt had meds in her tank since monday .

Hmmm....what else is in the tank? Might try upping the temp. What are feeding?

Eddie

m.ingram
08-21-2009, 11:23 PM
I have upped the temp to 86 to 87f i did that on wednesday night to try to get her to eat but no luck . Tried live brine shrimp and live black worms through the week still no luck . I am going to give the live brine another go tonight . I have also tried Home made bh mix frozen blood worm,frozen myasis shrimp and a heap of other dried foods . No luck not that i have seen anyway .

Eddie
08-22-2009, 12:25 AM
I have upped the temp to 86 to 87f i did that on wednesday night to try to get her to eat but no luck . Tried live brine shrimp and live black worms through the week still no luck . I am going to give the live brine another go tonight . I have also tried Home made bh mix frozen blood worm,frozen myasis shrimp and a heap of other dried foods . No luck not that i have seen anyway .

No, I mean upping the temp to about 90-92F. Also, how old is the fish?

When upping temps, its very important to increase aeration in the tank.

Take care,

Eddie

m.ingram
08-22-2009, 02:29 AM
Sorry Eddie Im not to sure how old the fish is. I only got her about 3 weeks ago. She is about 16 to 17cm from nose to tail . I will bring the themp up to what you said and increase the air in the tank now

m.ingram
08-22-2009, 02:49 AM
Forgot to add see is very shy . If you stand away from the tank she comes out from behind the sponge filter, but as soon as you go near the tank she hides behind the sponge filter .Could she have worms or something like that . When i first got her she was doing clear poos now i havent seen her poo since the first couple of days when i got her ??
Thanks again
Regards Mark

Eddie
08-22-2009, 04:20 AM
That fish could have flagellates for which Metronidazole is the medication of choice. If you do decide to medicate, best to medicate only the affected fish. ;)

Take care Mark and keep us updated!

Eddie

m.ingram
08-22-2009, 04:46 AM
I will start her on metro in the morning then . Do i need to turn the temp down as i have heard it needs to be below 86f .
Thanks Eddie
Regards Mark

Eddie
08-22-2009, 04:50 AM
I will start her on metro in the morning then . Do i need to turn the temp down as i have heard it needs to be below 86f .
Thanks Eddie
Regards Mark

Not at all, metro can be used at many different temps. At higher temps the stuff is just used up faster and loses its effectiveness. Depends on how often you are treating daily and how much.

Take care,

Eddie

m.ingram
08-22-2009, 05:53 AM
I will need to got to the vet to get some more metro so
Is 500 mg metro to 10 gallons 2 times daily for 10 days going to be enough or will i need more .
Regards Mark

lpiasente
08-22-2009, 06:40 AM
for a good apple and rhubarb pie I can give you some metro:D

m.ingram
08-22-2009, 07:49 PM
I think i could do that :):):)

m.ingram
08-23-2009, 05:33 AM
Quick up date
The fish on tetra cycline are looking really good . There color is lighter then normal but they are looking healthier .

Started the new one on metro today so hopefully she will be eating in a few days .

Eddie
08-23-2009, 05:44 AM
Quick up date
The fish on tetra cycline are looking really good . There color is lighter then normal but they are looking healthier .

Started the new one on metro today so hopefully she will be eating in a few days .

Thats fantastic Mark! Really good news. Wishing you the best and hopefully that new ones takes a turn for the better too.

Take care,

Eddie

m.ingram
08-27-2009, 04:39 AM
Hi
i might be over reacting but the one that bought in the disease still isnt eating . I have been using metro in her tank for 5 days now she looks really good but doesnt seem to be eating .
Can i use something like prazi with the metro to cover everything or should i just wait till i have finished the full course of metro .
Thanks Regards Mark

Eddie
08-27-2009, 04:44 AM
Hi
i might be over reacting but the one that bought in the disease still isnt eating . I have been using metro in her tank for 5 days now she looks really good but doesnt seem to be eating .
Can i use something like prazi with the metro to cover everything or should i just wait till i have finished the full course of metro .
Thanks Regards Mark

Don't worry about it, just keep the treatment up for several more days. Try to bring up the heat and see if this gets the fish eating. Keep the tank super clean and make sure you remove any feces.

Eddie

m.ingram
08-27-2009, 05:04 AM
Thanks Eddie
The tank gets cleaned every night and temp is 90 to 91f .
Just want to be sure i am doing everything i can .
Regards Mark

Eddie
08-27-2009, 05:07 AM
Thanks Eddie
The tank gets cleaned every night and temp is 90 to 91f .
Just want to be sure i am doing everything i can .
Regards Mark

Thats perfect, should be coming around in no time. Even if the fish doesn't eat during treatment, I have had fish only start eating when returned back to the main tank. ;)

Best of luck,

Eddie

Eddie
09-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Hey Mark, fish still improving? They back up and running 100%?

Eddie

m.ingram
09-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Hey Eddie
Finished treatment yesterday all but the one are looking really good . Most are back in the main tank and eating everything i give them . The one that hasnt been eating still isnt im thinking of maybe worming her ??
If so when can i start doing that ?
I am a bit worried about her .I have even thought of feeding her with a syringe so i dont lose her .
Thanks Regards Mark

Eddie
09-03-2009, 12:46 AM
Hey Eddie
Finished treatment yesterday all but the one are looking really good . Most are back in the main tank and eating everything i give them . The one that hasnt been eating still isnt im thinking of maybe worming her ??
If so when can i start doing that ?
I am a bit worried about her .I have even thought of feeding her with a syringe so i dont lose her .
Thanks Regards Mark

You can do it now if you want, don't worry about her eating. They can go a long time without food. What dewormer and how? Did you complete a metro treatment? Have you tried increasing the temp and feeding her live foods?

Eddie

m.ingram
09-03-2009, 12:57 AM
I did a metro treatment for 11 days i then ran out of metro .
temp 87-89 has been for about last 6 or 7 days
Tried her on live brine shrimp and live black worms she doesnt even look at them.
I would be using levamisole to worm her
i just got a product from the US it has metronidazole mebendazole levamisole and vitiam b or should i use this one

Eddie
09-03-2009, 01:27 AM
I did a metro treatment for 11 days i then ran out of metro .
temp 87-89 has been for about last 6 or 7 days
Tried her on live brine shrimp and live black worms she doesnt even look at them.
I would be using levamisole to worm her
i just got a product from the US it has metronidazole mebendazole levamisole and vitiam b or should i use this one

What product is that?

I would just use levimasole for now.

Eddie

m.ingram
09-03-2009, 01:36 AM
I will start the levimasole
The product is called Azoo discus anti-endoparasites. I think it comes from singapore by the look of the writing on it.
I thought i might get it as they where sending me the acriflavine anyway . I dont know if its any good but thought it might be worth a try.
Have you heard of this stuff it so is it any good

Eddie
09-03-2009, 01:42 AM
I will start the levimasole
The product is called Azoo discus anti-endoparasites. I think it comes from singapore by the look of the writing on it.
I thought i might get it as they where sending me the acriflavine anyway . I dont know if its any good but thought it might be worth a try.
Have you heard of this stuff it so is it any good

No, haven't heard of it but does seem to have some decent stuff in it. Is it a powder? How much is in the standard dose?

Eddie

m.ingram
09-03-2009, 01:49 AM
Its a liquid dose is 20ml per 100 ltrs
Or 10 to 15 drops per gram of food .

Eddie
09-03-2009, 01:50 AM
Its a liquid dose is 20ml per 100 ltrs
Or 10 to 15 drops per gram of food .

Interesting, seems like a decent product! Does it state amounts for each med per dose though?

Take care,

Eddie

m.ingram
09-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Hey Eddie
It doesnt have how much of each ingreadient is in it .

Eddie
09-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Hey Eddie
It doesnt have how much of each ingreadient is in it .

Than it is not a good choice. It is always advisable to use meds/chemicals with a specific concentration or amount so you know what you are exposing your fish to. Proper/effective treatment requires specific concentrations.

Eddie

m.ingram
09-03-2009, 10:52 PM
No worrys thanks Eddie

lpiasente
09-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Eddie I saw Marks fish today and they look great, you wouldn't even know they had been sick, and boy did they look sick. With great advice from you and dedication from Mark a happy ending is here. :angel:

Eddie
09-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Eddie I saw Marks fish today and they look great, you wouldn't even know they had been sick, and boy did they look sick. With great advice from you and dedication from Mark a happy ending is here. :angel:

Thats excellent! It definitely takes dedication and I am glad Mark was able to prevail. I am glad I was able to help out as much as I could.

Take care,

Eddie

m.ingram
09-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Hey Eddie
Just wondering when should i be worried about the one that isnt eating as i have finished her first treatment with levimsole. I tried her on live brine shrimp didnt even look at them . The thing is she looks good fins high and good color doesnt hide .Should i maybe look at putting her with the main group and see what happens.
Regards Mark

Eddie
09-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Hey Eddie
Just wondering when should i be worried about the one that isnt eating as i have finished her first treatment with levimsole. I tried her on live brine shrimp didnt even look at them . The thing is she looks good fins high and good color doesnt hide .Should i maybe look at putting her with the main group and see what happens.
Regards Mark

Yes, maybe she will come around watching the others eat. ;)

Eddie

m.ingram
09-06-2009, 12:35 AM
I will let you you know how it all goes .

Eddie
09-06-2009, 12:37 AM
I will let you you know how it all goes .

Please do and best of luck!

Eddie

m.ingram
09-07-2009, 12:16 AM
I have good news
The one thst wasnt eating ate today thank god
I put her in the main tank yesterday and this morning i feed them frozen blood worm she ate a little pit not much but thats a start .
So hopefully its all clean sailing from here on
Thanks for your help Eddie i would have lost the lot without your help .
Regards Mark :D:D:D

Eddie
09-07-2009, 12:21 AM
I have good news
The one thst wasnt eating ate today thank god
I put her in the main tank yesterday and this morning i feed them frozen blood worm she ate a little pit not much but thats a start .
So hopefully its all clean sailing from here on
Thanks for your help Eddie i would have lost the lot without your help .
Regards Mark :D:D:D

Any time Mark, really glad I was able to help you out. I am sure she will pick up her appetite. When a fish has been off food for a while, they generally won't eat too much right away. They will start building up the amount of food intake.

Take care my friend and all the best,

Eddie

m.ingram
09-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Hi all,

Thought I would post a link to photos of the fish now that they're better:

Cheers,
Mark

Eddie
09-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Hi all,

Thought I would post a link to photos of the fish now that they're better:

Cheers,
Mark

Wow Mark, they were trashed! Its hard to figure out which are of the updated pictures but actually clicking on the individual photos tells when they were added. Really glad they are better now!

Eddie

lpiasente
09-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Trashed is definatly the word. I could have cried from Mark and the fish. Just shows you should never give up and these fishies are tougher than most people think.