PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic 175g bow front

José72
08-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Hi Guys,

I've been keeping freshwater fish for about ten years, but I'm new at keeping discus. I never thought it was going to be so addictive. :) Anyways...I basically ran out of space and decide to buy a 175g bow front Oceanic with two overflows. This is my first "large" aquarium and I need suggestions on the type of filtration to use. Some say to use a wet/dry and some say to use two canister filters. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

rickztahone
08-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Hi Guys,

I've been keeping freshwater fish for about ten years, but I'm new at keeping discus. I never thought it was going to be so addictive. :) Anyways...I basically ran out of space and decide to buy a 175g bow front Oceanic with two overflows. This is my first "large" aquarium and I need suggestions on the type of filtration to use. Some say to use a wet/dry and some say to use two canister filters. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

many would opt for wet/dry especially because you have 2 overflows. im a canister guy and i would put 2 fx5's or a couple eheims. how stocked do you plan on being?

José72
08-12-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm planning on having discus only, and as many as I can keep on the tank without over crowding.

rickztahone
08-12-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm planning on having discus only, and as many as I can keep on the tank without over crowding.

if you plan on doing just discus, no substrate, no plants, no tankmates then you can have 17 in there theoretically. keep in mind that all adults do not get along and you should have separate tanks to keep aggression in check and some for medication/observation. where do plan on getting the discus?

José72
08-12-2009, 05:12 PM
I have 15 young discus from 2" to 4" now on a 55g. I'm doing 50% w/c every other day. I have the 175g and another 55g that are empty, planning on keeping one 55g for my albino strains and the rest on the 175g.

DonMD
08-12-2009, 05:41 PM
I have a 125 g tank with sand substrate, no plants, a couple pieces of driftwood, and 10 large discus. I'm using an older Fluval 304 and a new Eheim 2028, and they are working very well. But I know that many people here prefer sumps. I just didn't want the noise, since my tank is in the dining room.

José72
08-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Don,

Do you know how to use two eheims on the two overflows?

Jhhnn
08-12-2009, 09:15 PM
My own experience with a wet/dry filter has been positive so far, and it's a much older design.

The first thing you need to know if you go in that direction is that the usual pumping rate on marine tanks is much, much higher than what you'll want for discus. Whatever pump capacity is recommended for a reef tank of the size you have, cut that at least in half. Honest. You'll probably turn it down some from there.

This radically reduces noise. In my own 75 gal setup, pump noise is inaudible and there's no gurgling. There is some sound of running water where the water runs out of the tank into the overflow, but that's it... Even that may be an artifact of overflow design- dunno, as this is my only experience w/ this kind of filter.

Be sure to use a sump large enough to not overflow if the pump stops... my own is quite forgiving wrt overfilling the tank, as any excess runs down into the sump, at least for awhile, rather than just overflowing the tank...

Dkarc@Aol.com
08-12-2009, 09:22 PM
If the overflows are there, go wet/dry.

-Ryan