PDA

View Full Version : water hyacinth and water lettuce light requirement

frenchie100
08-12-2009, 10:59 PM
So I just saw on one of Heiko Bleher's biotopes some discus were from an area that has a lot of water hyacinths and water lettuce.

I have tons of those in my pond! My question is how much light would they need to grow indoors in an aqwuarium setting?

Has anyone tried this?

Eddie- Didn't you try water lettuce? How did that turn out?

-Julie

Eddie
08-12-2009, 11:18 PM
So I just saw on one of Heiko Bleher's biotopes some discus were from an area that has a lot of water hyacinths and water lettuce.

I have tons of those in my pond! My question is how much light would they need to grow indoors in an aqwuarium setting?

Has anyone tried this?

Eddie- Didn't you try water lettuce? How did that turn out?

-Julie

Hey Julie, water lettuce is FANTASTIC, grew like a champ too. I had very low light just above the leafs. That biotope tank sprung a leak and had to break it down. One thing I would recommend, if you plan on using the water lettuce from your pond, figure out a good way to sterilize the roots safely. Too many possible bad things to bring into the tank from the pond. ;)

Best of luck,

Eddie

frenchie100
08-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I have goldfish in there too, so who knows what pathogens they might have!

rickztahone
08-13-2009, 12:11 AM
send some over my way Julie! i got some Aluminum Sulfate in from Ebay this week for pretty cheap. i'm not sure how much you would need though, it really depends how many you plan on bringing into your aquarium

frenchie100
08-13-2009, 05:42 PM
For sure! :)