PDA

View Full Version : 57 gallon tank: are these ok with discus as tankmates?

neupane00
08-13-2009, 10:29 AM
hey guys are rummynose tetras, neon tetras, cardinal tetras all compatible with discus fish? i plan to keep the tank at 85 degrees F . pls let me know soon. oh what about panda cory and ottos?

Eddie
08-13-2009, 11:16 AM
hey guys are rummynose tetras, neon tetras, cardinal tetras all compatible with discus fish? i plan to keep the tank at 85 degrees F . pls let me know soon. oh what about panda cory and ottos?

I think the temp will be too much for the neons and pandas. Although many will probably say it can be done, it is still too warm. The pandas will probably last about 6 months if that, in that heat.

Eddie

mmorris
08-13-2009, 11:20 AM
I agree with Eddie, plus people have reported problems with ottos and discus. You might want to do a search.

Eddie
08-13-2009, 11:24 AM
I agree with Eddie, plus people have reported problems with ottos and discus. You might want to do a search.

Good call Martha, I had a hero Blue Diamond in a tank with ottos and they would swarm him like bees on honey! I had to take him out fast!

Eddie

Scribbles
08-13-2009, 12:47 PM
While I would pass on the Pandas and Ottos for the reasons already stated, I have kept Rummys and Cardinals at mid to high 80s without a problem. I may have just had good luck though.

Chris

namasgt
08-17-2009, 05:18 PM
How many Discus you plan to keep in the 57 gallon, and how old are they ?
I had ottos before in my bare bottom and they would die after 3 months from starvation, I did a lot of water changes and my tank didnt have many algea growing. So if your gona keep them make sure you trow a cucumber or some veggies for them to eat.

poconogal
08-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Cards and Rummies are fine with the Discus and temps. I tried Pandas, they lasted no more than 6 months. Friends had Otos and had to remove them because they were bothering the Discus, so I'd skip them too.