PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a Co2 reactor, infuser, or both?

seancj
08-13-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm working on obtaining a pressurized Co2 system but am a bit confused with the purpose of the 'reactor'. Can someone explain that to me?
Not sure if I need the 'reactor' and the infuser or just the infuser?
Thanks for the education.
Sean

Chad Hughes
08-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Sean,

The sole purpose of a reactor is to allow CO2 contact time with the water. A diffuser is typically in the tank and creates fine bubbles of CO2 that are so small they readily get absorbed by the water before they get to the surface. You can go either way, but you don't need both. A way that I live to use CO2 in a tank that does not have a sump is to place a power head with a venturi fitting in the tank. Connect your CO2 line to the venturi and turn it on. The pump will pulverize the CO2 and distribute it about the tank. That's just one of many ways of accomplishing CO2 injection. HTH!

Best wishes!

seancj
08-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Thank you very much!

HHaley
08-14-2009, 08:19 AM
Hello Sean,

Your post caught my attention because I’m also planning on installing a pressurized C02 system in a planted 90 gallon discus tank. You didn’t mention it but I assume you are going the fully automated route.

I’m in the research stage trying to read everything I can on the subject. What I’m finding is that there is lot of literature on the internet but it’s hard to separate marketing from factual information. I haven’t seen a comprehensive review (pros/cons) of the different types of components and how to use them.

I was wondering what components are you contemplating using. What regulator? I have read that the typical regulator has a needle valve that can stick (open or close) and that the best choice is an electronic regulator. I’m not sure if this is true or not.

I’m also concerned about the equipment and how it would look and would it take away from the pleasure of viewing the aquarium. The best that I’ve seen is a clear tube attaching to a round dispenser in the aquarium that counts the bubbles as they are released in the water. I’ve seen this set-up at a local store. The worst is something with black bellows and reminds me of a vertical heart/lung machine hanging on the rear of the aquarium.

Almost without exception, every system seems to be built around a Milwaukee PH controller SMS 122.

I look forward to your response.

Harry

captain morgan
08-14-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm working on obtaining a pressurized Co2 system but am a bit confused with the purpose of the 'reactor'. Can someone explain that to me?
Not sure if I need the 'reactor' and the infuser or just the infuser?
Thanks for the education.
Sean
Go with the reactor, adds nothing more internal in the tank and works great! Infusers are $$$ for a good quality one and need to be scrubbed and cleaned periodically, and add more junk in the tank. Go to Rex Grigg.com for a good explanation on how Co2 systems work and how to build your own reactor for about $25
Cheers

DiscusOnly
08-14-2009, 08:43 AM
Harry,

I am in the process off getting co2 up and running on my 90 gallons. This is what I ended up as parts for the system.

Regulator: http://www.aquariumplants.com/AQUARIUMPLANTS_com_s_Co2_Regulator_The_BEST_p/co2-1.htm

Controller: Aquacontroller AC3 (recommendation from another member on SD)

Diffuser/Reactor: I see so many different devices/gadgets but I am still leaning toward what Chad suggested. Some sort of venturi system. I believe that is the most effective.

You are also going to have to get something to measure the actual co2 in the tank.

BTW.. I believe that you see a lot of SMS controller because it's basically the entry system to a co2 system.

seancj
08-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Thank you all for the input. I'll check further into the DIY reactor. Thanks for all the helpful links.
HHaley- Like you, I'm still looking for quality components at a fair price. I haven't made any decisions yet except for the PH controller. Definitely planning on getting the Milwaukee PH controller SMS 122 hooked up to an electronic solenoid to control the flow of the Co2 based on the PH setting.

calihawker
08-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Hey sean, here's a pic of the rex grigg diy reactor. It's cheap and super simple to build. I have a dedicated pump for it but can easily plumb it inline after you canister filter.

HTH

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/calihawker/Equipment/mini-DSC00351.jpg

Chad Hughes
08-15-2009, 12:11 AM
Wow Steve! That's pretty cool! Never seen that one before! I have an Aqua Medic 1000 if you want it. $40 plus shipping an it's yours! I used it for a while. It worked well, but I just had too much stuff under my tank. Used the return pump from my sump to deliver the CO2.

PM me if you are interested in the reactor.

Best wishes!

captain morgan
08-15-2009, 08:40 AM
Hey sean, here's a pic of the rex grigg diy reactor. It's cheap and super simple to build. I have a dedicated pump for it but can easily plumb it inline after you canister filter.

HTH

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/calihawker/Equipment/mini-DSC00351.jpg
Hey Steve: out of curiosity how many bps are you running on a 300g tank? Also I like your bubble counter is that DIY also and whats it made out of? must be plastic/acrylic where did you find the parts for it?

calihawker
08-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Hey Steve: out of curiosity how many bps are you running on a 300g tank? Also I like your bubble counter is that DIY also and whats it made out of? must be plastic/acrylic where did you find the parts for it?

It's running around 3 or 4 bps. It dosen't run all day though. I have it setup on dual controllers. One set at a ph point and a timer to shut it off at night. Most of the time when I look back ther during the day it isn't running at all so I guess I could turn it down to 2 bps.

Yeah the bubble counter is diy out of acrylic. At tap plastics they sell the little squares on the ends already cut to size. I just drilled and tapped then glued them to a tube also from tap.

seancj
08-15-2009, 11:05 AM
PM sent on the reactor and your Fluval FX5. :D

Wow Steve! That's pretty cool! Never seen that one before! I have an Aqua Medic 1000 if you want it. $40 plus shipping an it's yours! I used it for a while. It worked well, but I just had too much stuff under my tank. Used the return pump from my sump to deliver the CO2.

Best wishes!

ejhart
08-19-2009, 02:18 AM
if Micro bubbles in the tank doesn't bother you, a simple rio powerhead with the co2 feeding into can't be beat honestly. It shoots the co2 all around the tank and makes it available for all the plants. Also the added current helps the plants uptake of co2 and nutrients, and helps keep algae in check. One more added benefit is that you can pump as much co2 as you want into the powerhead and not have the co2 build up like it would in a reactor. You can go one step further and make a needle wheel impeller using a bio ball, and the co2 bubbles will come out in an even finer mist than with a regular impeller.

Arkangel77
08-19-2009, 06:20 AM

Best wishes!

Chad could you show me just that part of your set up plz and try to Dumb it down so a nub like me can understand what it was that you did? Thanks, Ark:angel:

HHaley
08-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Hello Sean,

I was wondering what progress you have made on implementing a C02 system? I think I’m going the reactor route (Aqua Medic 1000) with the Aquacontroller. One reason I’m going this way is because I also want to install a UV sterilizer in the return path from the reactor.

Just wondering what you are planning.

Thanks,

Harry