PDA

View Full Version : wow, suprise at the LFS!

Cooldadddyfunk286
08-14-2009, 03:33 PM
*EDIT* -- typo in the title :p

So I went to the LFS to get a few odds and ends and I said ehh, why dont I go in the fishroom and see if anything new came in. they had the usual everything that was there a few days ago...and then I get to this tank...2 GIANT red melons! atleast 6-7 inch. 2 of the nicest discus I have ever seen in person. the color is just amazing. I asked about them and they said someone had just sold them back to them this morning and they are probably going to keep them in their 90 gal. display...but I asked another guy there and he said they were $80 bucks!! maybe i heard him wrong and he said $180 LOL.:p I have never seen such nice, big discus in there before.

Seeing these fish has put me on a mission to get some beautiful red melons, they have the most amazing fire red, orange coloration to them, these pics just dont do justice at all (cell phone camera). If I had a QT tank free I would have totally tried my hardest to walk out with one of those suckers. Im still shocked! :D

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/downsized_0814091458.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/0814091459.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/0814091456.jpg

Cooldadddyfunk286
08-14-2009, 03:37 PM
the pics really suck! lol. under the tank light there they were GLOWING orange/red/pink. just absolutely amazing!:D:D AHHH, I wish they were MINE!:mad:

DiscusKev
08-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Interesting to see a lfs stocking nicely round and coloured discus (well its very rare to see...)

José72
08-14-2009, 03:52 PM
For that price you should go back and get them. I bet they won't last.:D

Dkarc@Aol.com
08-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Wow, for that price/quality I would most definitely find myself a Q tank and get those nice looking fish!

-Ryan

Cooldadddyfunk286
08-14-2009, 04:02 PM
that LFS doesnt stock fish like that LOL, I WISH!!...check the highly peppered pigeons to the tank to the right, thats what they stock :p...someone bought them as juvies and just sold them back this morning. Im almost positive they arent for sale, and are going into the display tank. I got enough on my plate already! gotta work on getting a tank set up for these 7 Wayne fish I just got.

I do need a nice adult for my forrest tank tho :p

joanr
08-14-2009, 04:10 PM
So where is this LFS? It might be worth a short road trip to get those two.....lol

lkevin
08-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Jason,

Are you getting more fish from Dan's shipment coming next week, or are you talking about the ones that you just got?

I too have caught the Wayne bug, but I don't have the space to get any more :(

If I were you I would go back and scoop those fish, who knows what their fate will be in those LFS tanks... I'm sure you can give them a much better home than they can. Wouldn't you feel bad if they got sick there? just kidding

truc_tuyen
08-14-2009, 04:24 PM
those fish are beautiful. :shocked:

I guest that someone from here have the same fish?

target
08-14-2009, 04:39 PM
I wish my LFS stocked anything close to that. Was in there and the discus they had were all heavily peppered, missing most of their fins and generally looking like they are on their way out.

I asked one of the workers if they sold any and he told me that in the 8 months he had been working there, they hadn't sold one discus.

Its actually painful to see how bad these fish are. And still being sold for $40 +. So glad I have found this site and the amazing breeder/sponsors available.

Cooldadddyfunk286
08-14-2009, 04:46 PM
you guys, I just called that LFS to just double check if they were for display only or not. They said they are in QT right now for a while to make sure they are healthy...they told me to call back tomorrow and talk it over with the owner. I had them put my name on them, and I believe im the first. So by tomorrow I should know weather or not I can take one home!! :D:D:D

these fish looked super healthy...but do you guys think it would be best to take it home ASAP and QT it myself? or let the LFS QT it. I feel like more can go wrong the longer they spend in the LFS on the intertwined water system. but also, I wouldnt want to bring this fish home and start a plague or somethin!

I have a 10 gal hospital tank that I could use to QT one of these beauties. they are breath taking.

Cooldadddyfunk286
08-14-2009, 04:52 PM
and again guys, this LFS DOESNT stock fish like this. these are only there because a customer just sold them back to the store this morning. they NEVER bring fish of this size or quality in. the discus they usually sell are the same crap, pepered, torn fins, stunted discus every other shop carries.

DiscusKeeper403
08-14-2009, 09:15 PM
I would take em' hope personally. I would be worried the LFS would make short work of them.

Eddie
08-15-2009, 12:05 AM
I wouldn't take them. What's the old saying........You can take the discus out of the LFS but you can't take the LFS out of the discus! LMAO :D

Take care Jason,

Eddie

poconogal
08-15-2009, 08:20 AM
you guys, I just called that LFS to just double check if they were for display only or not. They said they are in QT right now for a while to make sure they are healthy...they told me to call back tomorrow and talk it over with the owner. I had them put my name on them, and I believe im the first. So by tomorrow I should know weather or not I can take one home!! :D:D:D

these fish looked super healthy...but do you guys think it would be best to take it home ASAP and QT it myself? or let the LFS QT it. I feel like more can go wrong the longer they spend in the LFS on the intertwined water system. but also, I wouldnt want to bring this fish home and start a plague or somethin!

I have a 10 gal hospital tank that I could use to QT one of these beauties. they are breath taking.
Jason, take it home ASAP and QT it yourself, always QT any fish yourself. Keep the QT as far away from your other tank(s)? as you can. Do you have separate equipment to use for WCs, net, etc.? If not, get separate equipment. Also make sure to wash your hands and arms with plain rubbing alchol after you've touched anything at all on that QT tank. Make like a surgeon and touch nothing after you do so, not even the alcohol bottle, when you need to work on your regular tank.

Make it 100% practice to use the alcohol on hands and arms after each time you've done something on or in the QT tank, so that if you forget (easy to do) and stick a finger in your main tank, at least you should have have killed whatever was on that finger. All it takes is a dip of a finger to bring disaster to your current stock. Not saying it will happen, only that it can happen. I've mixed Discus many times and have never had any problems whatsoever. Others stick a finger in another tank and bam...

zn394
08-15-2009, 08:52 AM
I can't wait to see what comes of this.

Jason, where is this store?

DiscusKev
08-15-2009, 10:49 AM
I would put it in QT again just to make sure, its better safe than sorry. I wonder why LFS stocks pigeon blood variant which is full of unfavored peppering or colbalt blue, and not spotted variant or such...is it because its cheaper to stock these strain?

calihawker
08-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Looks like they were raised very well. Better get them out of that lfs before they ruin 'em.:D

Cooldadddyfunk286
08-15-2009, 12:47 PM
I knooow you guys, im thinkin bout headin down to the LFS right now. Im just worrriiied you guys. everything is goin good for me. I dont want this to be some Adam and Eve, dont eat the forbidden fruit type deal, where Im so attracted to this beautiful discus thats TEMPTING me to buy it from the LFS....but Im afraid if I were to bring it home, all hell could break loose. CRAP guys, WHAT DO I DO?!?!

jerbear
08-15-2009, 12:55 PM
I would not think about twice about it. If I am able to afford it, properly qt these guys and I want them...Than the choice is easy..

Cooldadddyfunk286
08-15-2009, 01:03 PM
I think I'll head down there now, see what happens. I just hope I dont have a tuff time explaining to the LFS owner that Its safer to QT this fish at my house rather than his store :p

Ill report back soon.

ifixoldhouses
08-15-2009, 01:30 PM
I can't wait to see what comes of this.

Jason, where is this store?

I'm guessing somewhere in upper New York :bandana:

DiscusKev
08-15-2009, 03:45 PM
good luck in grabbing those 2 piece of jewel haha. Say something like "I don't think those discus fish look happy in here, maybe they will be happier if they were brought to my house" :D

Cooldadddyfunk286
08-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Yep, in upstate NY. SO...heres the story...

went back to the LFS today to ask the owner about takin those red melons home. turns out, they are going to keep them in their display and try to get fry. they 2 melons are a mating pair, and would only be sold as a mating pair if they did sell, and they told me the price would be 450 for the pair.

atleast I tried my hardest to get my hands on these. Funny thing too is that they dont look as happy as they did yesterday. I can tell that them being in the LFS even 1 day so far has stressed them. they are alittle peppered and the anal and dorsal is getting darker black. poor guys. I hope they take good care of them. I was upset when I learned I couldnt have em...but I said hey, atleast everytime I come in here Ill be able to look at them right?? :p

heres a better pic I got from earlier today while I was there checkin on em...arent they beautiful?? :D oh, well...I tried lol

take care guys! thanks for replyin ;)
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/0815091334-1.jpg

allan_mark76
08-15-2009, 08:31 PM
I feel for those fish as they deserve better care. If you go back the next day and they are starting to look bad, imagine how they would be next month? Breaks my heart to see something so beautiful go down hill there after.

~AKA~

Cooldadddyfunk286
08-15-2009, 09:03 PM
I know, Im mad that they are keeping them. I think if they go into the display tank they will be alright, and they have an employee that used to be a hobbyist discus breeder. So I think that since the display tank isnt on the central water system they stand a better chance. but they are "QT"ing the fish on the walls of for-sale tanks. breaks my heart too, hopefully they dont let those 2 beauties downgrade.

Eddie
08-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Yup Jason, already tainted.

You remember that huge LSS they had in the LFS here in Japan, they wanted $1000.00 for it. Well its still in the LFS and it looks like an avocado now, no kidding, just awful. :(

Eddie

Cooldadddyfunk286
08-16-2009, 02:05 AM
Thats terrible Eddie, ugh, these poor beauties. thats why if I ever need to sell off some of my beautiful stock I will refuse to give them to the LFS.

steve.ryall
08-17-2009, 05:55 PM
I think you had a lucky escape Jas, stick to what you already know and the supplier you trust ;)

Steve

Cooldadddyfunk286
08-17-2009, 06:57 PM
right??! I feel the same way Steve...just too risky. I was actually alittle relieved when I learned I couldnt bring them home. I really wanted them, but liek I said, I didnt wanna bite the forbidden fruit ;)

lkevin
08-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Stupid LFS, I despise them at times.