PDA

View Full Version : red tiger lotus

lpiasente
08-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Goodmorning all, I had a bit of a play in my tank while cleaning yesterday which resulted in a complete change of driftwood arrngement and layout. I have one corner with driftwood and 3 amazon swords but it is far too green. I really think something red like a nice tiger lotus would look great. I am wondering if a tiger lotus will survive in my tank. No c02 and 3 x 33% waterchanges. I only have medium lighting a T5 3ft on a 4 ft tank and a 2ft standard light as well. If not suitable is there any other red plants for suggestion?
Thanks
Leanne

Eddie
08-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Check out post #35

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=59346&page=3

Not sure if Walter used Co2.

Wish I could be of more help, take care.

Eddie

pcsb23
08-16-2009, 08:18 AM
Moved in here as this is where the real experts live ;)

Tiger lotus will do fine with medium lighting, and looks great as a feature plant, also if the top is open it will flower - and it doesn't need CO2, using the occaisional root tab can help though.

A really nice plant and one that works well in discus tanks :)

rich815
08-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Although I grow mine now in a more hi tech pressurized CO2 set up I did grow it for over a year in medium light with no CO2 and it did fine. Watch for leaves that reach for the surface though and nip them ASAP or all leaves thereafter will try for the same and you end up with a load of shading and lily pads. The only thing the higher CO2 seems to have changed is that now I get 2-3 daughter plants every month or so where with no CO2 I only got those occasionally. It should do fine for you.

Patr1ck
08-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Root tabs are a must if your substrate is not specifically designed for plants. Bury them deep to avoid algae outbreaks. Mine grew like a weed in my 90 gallon low light only 64 watts, non co2, one 25% wc a week tank. I would get a new daugter plant about every month.

Pat

lpiasente
08-17-2009, 05:39 AM
Thanks guys I will track one down. I do use dino dung under substrate.:D