PDA

View Full Version : Help with acriflavin

hope
08-15-2009, 10:48 PM
I treated my fish with acriflavin today around 4:30pm. This was the first time I have used it, but I thought one of the tanks had a possible bacterial infection and another had subadults who were slowing down on eating so I decided to treat all tanks: 1) sub-adult discus in a 75 gallon, 2) juvies in a 20 gallon, 3)tropical in a 45 gallon. Although the juvies have been quarentined, I didn't want to take a chance that I might have contaminated all the tanks, so I treated them all.

I followed the directions on the bottle (1 tablespoon per 5-10 gallons), and I followed it at 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons.

I immediately noticed the sub-adult discus very very agitated, and for the first time ever two tried to jump out of the tank. Luckily they landed on the plexiglass cover under the lights so I put them back in.

I turned off the lights and added salt. They seemed to calm down, although they hid behind the filter. They seemed ok so I went to dinner and returned home about an hour ago. In the subadult tank, one discus looks near death - white eyes, heavy mucus coat. All others are very dark, listless. I just emptied 50% of the water and filled it up. I was afraid to empty the whole tank because I have to age my water - it has very high ph - and the directions I followed said to use the acriflavin AFTER the water change so I only had water aged 6 hours (ph was still high).

In my tropical tank - a few fish are near the top not looking too good, 1 molly's eye is white. They are all also kind of "jumpy". I am just changing about 40% water now.

The juvies actually don't look any worse.

Can I get some advice what to do and if anyone knows why this is happening? Thanks so much.

I really

Eddie
08-15-2009, 11:44 PM
What brand? I use Kordon and its 1 teaspoon per 5-10 gallons.

Eddie

kaceyo
08-16-2009, 02:50 PM
It should be 1 "teaspoon", not "tablespoon". And even 1 teaspoon per 10 is a pretty strong dose. Double check your instructions to see if it is tsp or tbls and do a lrg wc if needed.

Kacey

Eddie
08-30-2009, 11:33 PM
How are the fish doing?

Eddie